Windows phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

OVERKILL

$100 Site Donor 2021
So our RIS vendor was on-site today and he has a new Nokia Windows phone. It was NIIIIIIIIIIICE! I was very impressed with how fast it was, how the interface worked....etc. I liked it a lot more than the iPhone. He did as well, since that's what it replaced.

The SIZE is insane though. It is a good 1" taller than my Bold 9900.

I'm almost tempted to pick one up and try it with our Exchange server......

I own an AT&T Samsung Focus Flash, my first Smartphone, other than the "Ancient" Blackjack II

Its a nice interface, quick, has some flaws but its all good. Not as many apps as Droid/Itunes but enough to live with, I like it. I have friends with iPhones and Android Phones, I didnt like the droid interface, nor did I care for the iPhone as in 2 weeks its obsolete as the things come out every week it seems like...

Originally Posted By: GumbyJarvis
I own an AT&T Samsung Focus Flash, my first Smartphone, other than the "Ancient" Blackjack II

Its a nice interface, quick, has some flaws but its all good. Not as many apps as Droid/Itunes but enough to live with, I like it. I have friends with iPhones and Android Phones, I didnt like the droid interface, nor did I care for the iPhone as in 2 weeks its obsolete as the things come out every week it seems like...

My wife had her 1st generation Iphone until the 4s came out.

She has her own consulting company and the phone served her well.

Usually every year actually. 16 months between the 4 and 4S. At least software is pushed out to all the older devices and they support the phones for a good while.

In the past 18 months or so, I've had 4 windows phones as work devices. The Nokia Lumia 900 was the last one. Nice interface thats very original and has some nice exclusive features but still behind the big guns overall. My favorite device was the Focus S.

Originally Posted By: jigen

Usually every year actually. 16 months between the 4 and 4S. At least software is pushed out to all the older devices and they support the phones for a good while.

In the past 18 months or so, I've had 4 windows phones as work devices. The Nokia Lumia 900 was the last one. Nice interface thats very original and has some nice exclusive features but still behind the big guns overall. My favorite device was the Focus S.

This was the Lumia 900. What did you feel put it behind the "big guns"?

A couple of things for me. I do like microsofts approach to having things uniform for all the devices that run on Windows Phone (must have a 5mp camera, must have a physical camera button on the side, etc) but right now they are playing catch up with the competition as far as specs.

Multi-core processors are becoming the norm for mobile devices. The operating system is definitely snappy and quick, but a better processor would show benefits when actually booting and waiting for apps to load. Windows phones are all currently restricted to a 800x480 screen resolution. Fine for some people but if I am buying an expensive phone that is Windows flagship device, it's a bit disappointing that it has all the same guts as another device hats a bit older and cheaper.

MMS support needs to be updated. No way to email or MMS videos or audio files from your phone. Very disappointing for a 2012 device.

Pictures can not be sent out in their original size: This one drives me up a wall. A lot of the cameras on the windows phones are very nice. The camera app also gives you a nice amount of picture options. But when it comes to sending the picture via email or using a cloud service such as SkyDrive, the phone will default to a very small file size and the picture quality takes a big hit. The only way to transfer pictures at its native resolution is by transferring them to your computer.

As a work phone this was an issue. Sometimes I need to send pictures to merchandising teams and they are used for reference and presentations. Having it sent as such a low res pic isnt ideal. I understand this for huge video files, sizes that large are just a bit much for a mobile device but a picture, even at its native resolution is rarely larger than 3 megabytes.

Tasks on the calendar sync well with Outlook but not with any other third party programs.

App support still leaves a lot to be desired but this should improve as time goes on.

Sorry for the wordy post. I like the OS, the Bing search and local scout integration is fantastic, and the integrated Maps application blows anything iOS has out of the water. But it still has some road bumps. The next big update in the Fall should fix quite a bit of this.

It's nice to see MS finally getting into the mobile OS business. I used a Samsung Omnia w/Windows Mobile for an embarrassingly long time, and I have to say it was terrible. I didn't realize how bad it was until a got an Android phone. I felt like a blind person who was suddenly given sight or something.

The people who made fun of me the most for using WinMo were people that worked at MS, including some people high up on the food chain. Maybe the fact that most of their senior execs were using Iphones was enough for them to realize they needed to up their game a bit.

The HTC Titan & Titan II are really nice, when I updated my phone a couple months ago, it was one of the top-3 finalists. Great interface, nice big clear screen, fast interface, most of the apps I wanted (no Zynga games tho). I upgraded my iPhone 3GS to 4S due to being grandfathered into the unlimited plan and discount. To buy the Titan (or any other phone) would mean forfeiting my current rates, didn't want to do that.

Two thumb's up for the Titan, it's a really good phone.

I had a Samsung Focus and it was a cool device. The only device with expandable memory. I was able to add a 16GB microsd to bump up the memory capacity. Too bad MS hardware went the route of the iphone, no sd card slot. Although having an MS mandatory FM radio, camera button is pretty cool.

I went to a Verizon store a few weeks ago to look at Windows phones first hand. The only one they had was the HTC Trophy. IMO it did not measure up to the competition. I asked about the dearth of Windows phones, the Verizon rep told me they are not profitable for Verizon due to the low demand.

I am glad Microsoft is polishing their phone operating system. If only Intel would produce a competitive x86 phone processor, that together with Windows on the phone would make some interesting possibilities a reality.

Currently running a Nokia Lumia 900. I've been a long time Nokia user (remember the Symbian OS?), and was at the point I was out of options until this phone came out.

Long story short, I am extremely happy. The OS is responsive, snappy, nice to look at, and I've not had one reboot/crash/freeze to report in the two months I've had the phone. I see the muti-core processor issue as a red herring. If the single core can run it just as fast as the multi-cores can run andorid, who cares how many cores it has. For once, its nice to see an OS that is efficient with its resources (and its microsoft to boot! How did that happen!).

The photo size issue hasn't been a problem for me. I can see it being an issue if you are depending on your phone to send higher quality images. I don't. That's why I have a higher end camera.

Calendar/Contacts/Tasks etc has been seamless with Microsoft Exchange (as you'd expect it to be). No issues with any of my other email accounts. Email setup was the easiest I've ever had on a phone. Presently have 1 work and three personal emails all running through this phone with zero issues.

The major apps are availible. I've sent messages to each of the app providers of apps that are not availble requesting one. More will come if more of the phones are sold.

I essentially got the phone for free - it was a $99 upgrade, and due to an early software glitch, Nokia ponied up a $100 credit on the first statement with the phone. The software update was painless. That deal is over now though.

There is room for improvement, but I'd get another one again in a heartbeat. Really hope this OS sticks - nice to have choices.

Originally Posted By: MNgopher
Currently running a Nokia Lumia 900. I've been a long time Nokia user (remember the Symbian OS?), and was at the point I was out of options until this phone came out.

Long story short, I am extremely happy. The OS is responsive, snappy, nice to look at, and I've not had one reboot/crash/freeze to report in the two months I've had the phone. I see the muti-core processor issue as a red herring. If the single core can run it just as fast as the multi-cores can run andorid, who cares how many cores it has. For once, its nice to see an OS that is efficient with its resources (and its microsoft to boot! How did that happen!).

The photo size issue hasn't been a problem for me. I can see it being an issue if you are depending on your phone to send higher quality images. I don't. That's why I have a higher end camera.

Calendar/Contacts/Tasks etc has been seamless with Microsoft Exchange (as you'd expect it to be). No issues with any of my other email accounts. Email setup was the easiest I've ever had on a phone. Presently have 1 work and three personal emails all running through this phone with zero issues.

The major apps are availible. I've sent messages to each of the app providers of apps that are not availble requesting one. More will come if more of the phones are sold.

I essentially got the phone for free - it was a $99 upgrade, and due to an early software glitch, Nokia ponied up a $100 credit on the first statement with the phone. The software update was painless. That deal is over now though.

There is room for improvement, but I'd get another one again in a heartbeat. Really hope this OS sticks - nice to have choices.

Good to hear you're happy with the phone. I will definitely look at windows phone when it's time to upgrade. I am happy with Android, but I really don't care about the type of OS, as long as the phone meets my needs.
Also, the core "issue" is only an issue for internet nerds that use it as bragging rights when "proving" the superiority of their phone of choice. You should visit Engadget sometime, truly entertaining stuff goes on in the comments section. The best ones are of course about iPhone vs Android devices
lol.gif

Got the Lumia 900 today.

I've been having some strange "not deliverable" SMS issues, and had some problems with ActiveSync and Exchange 2003. Not sure if either are resolved yet, will know more tomorrow.

Otherwise, the device is lightning fast, Nokia's nav app is excellent, and it feels more responsive than the iPhone 4 I had. Certainly faster than my BOLD 9900. And a MUCH better camera.

This phone has the best camera of any phone I've owned actually.

I have the HTC titan and love it. Esp when it reads out text messages and allows me to reply over my car's bluetooth. now that is truly hands free.

I hope the Lumia 900 does well. I'm also looking forward to Nokia putting out a Windows 8 phone this fall.

I literally have money riding on it.
wink.gif

It's just a real shame no current windows phones are getting the update to 8. I thought MS was avoiding the fragmentation you see in android devices.

Yeah, I was a little bummed my Lumia 900 will not get an update to 8, but it is what it is.

That being said, I have no regrets on my phone choice. Given the number of times I've dropped this thing, its proving to be pretty durable too...

Get your email issues resolved Overkill? I have some issues with my work email on outlook exchange. Not the phones fault though - IT has a tight clamp on how large our email box size can be. Outlook at work easily reports that info, but the service on my phone does not. Its led to some errors, but now that I know, I work around it.

Nope, it still won't do push. Sync every 15 works fine, but it is frustrating because push works just hunky dory with iPhones and Android phones on the same server.

Text issue resolved itself. Not sure what was going on there.

Loving the phone though, blazingly fast and smooth.

Hmm. Don't have my exchange email on push, so no idea if I have an issue there or not. I have mine sync every 30 minutes instead of on push. (Phone is a personal phone that I can get my work stuff on - they don't pay for it, so I don't have it pushed.) My other emails on push service work fine though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back