Windows 8 upgrade?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Windows 7 64 bit on my new Emachine desktop and it qualifies for Windows 8 upgrade. I am curious about this new operating system, but not excited about the look of the desktop. What are your thoughts on upgrading?

I just looked at the Acer tutorial for Windows 8. It seemed like learning a new language or being in another country. My impression was some simple tasks like shutting down became complicated.

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My impression was some simple tasks like shutting down became complicated.

You can check out anytime, but you can never leave. [Eagles]

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
My impression was some simple tasks like shutting down became complicated.

are you new to MS Products?
grin.gif

says the man with 2 windows 7 machines, and an xbox 360, and have gone from MSDOS 6/Win 3.1->95->98->XP pro->Win 7 Home Premium x64 (thankfully skipped ME, and Vista.) i almost tried windows Phone 7, until i got a hellafied deal on my current android phone.

I had the joy of ME and Vista!
grin.gif

Put another way, it looks like Microsoft re-invented the wheel. They took a round shape and made it into a square shape and called it progress...

I just upgraded from Win7 -> Win8 Pro via the online link ... so far, so good.

I also purchased the add-on Start8 start-menu from Stardock. Gives me the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted By: Curtis Newton
I just upgraded from Win7 -> Win8 Pro via the online link ... so far, so good.

I also purchased the add-on Start8 start-menu from Stardock. Gives me the best of both worlds.

What do you like about it? Define good...

I have an Asus laptop 2nd gen i3 with 4GB RAM ... so far:
-Starts up faster
-Snappier performance due to better memory handling
-No more aero (I am mixed on this one)
-I was struggling a bit with the new tile format and purchased the $4.99 start8 menu replacement. After doing that, I am much more comfortable
-upgrade was very smooth, all programs still in tact

p.s. I am considering a surface tablet, so that is one of the reasons I upgraded

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that it depends on what your are going to do with it. Most of the tile format categories are things I do not use. Seems to make more clutter.

What is the Start8 Menu replacement?

Stardock created an app that adds the start menu back to Windows 8. The system starts to the tile startup and then, you can click a button and it returns you to the traditional desktop with a start menu.

Last edited by a moderator:
but but but...why does Win 8 GUI remind me of Lego-land or something?
IDK - the green and red blocks everywhere...looks a bit juvenile, IMO...

Hopefully one can customize it enough to make it look somewhat serious...

The term is Fisher Price interface; I played with it at wally world on a Dell Inspiron; a bit befuddled, but as with most of their products you need to learn (and then deal with) the quirks of the interface.

Jury is still out until I spend some time with it.

I would not rush to buy it; generally a good rule with just about everything.

Last edited:
Windows 8 makes little sense by itself. Use Win8 with a mobile device, Win8 RT tablet, etc, then log back in to your PC that has Win8, it all makes sense with multiple devices in the Win8 ecosystem.

Get the Win8 upgrade.

At least Apple understands that their iOS doesn't belong on a desktop.

I've played around with Windows 8 in a VM. I don't get it. No, I get the technology, I just don't get "it." It almost looks like a marketing agent designed the OS. As stated above, Fisher Price OS is right.

Originally Posted By: bigmike

I've played around with Windows 8 in a VM. I don't get it. No, I get the technology, I just don't get "it." It almost looks like a marketing agent designed the OS. As stated above, Fisher Price OS is right.

I didn't get it either until I saw it working on a mobile device. Then the light bulb went off, then it made much more sense.

Well I don't have any mobile devices that run Windows so I guess I am going to stay in a Win 7 environment for the neat future...

(Phones are iphone 4s, and the netbook does have win 7 home, but I guess there should be more than 1 mobile device to warrant changing a whole OS environment of a house of 2 Win 7 laptops...)

And what's with the whole 'no WMP' mess? One has to purchase it for win 8?

and even if everything else was fine, that interface is just plain ugly and juvenile-looking (to me) - I don't think I will be able to get over that fact...

Im not buying it unless they fix it. Ive seen the mods to bring back the start menu, but you still end up having to deal with the stupid tile garbage occasionally. Its too bad too, since It is leaner and faster in many areas than W7; however the usability tradeoff just isnt worth it to me.
I think the person who drew this picture was more lucid than the people that thought this design on a desktop was a good idea. (I will admit it would work well on a tablet.)
buck_yeah__by_madhotaru-d5j72lh.jpg

Originally Posted By: bigmike

Amen. The whole interface is extremely poorly designed. Tiles are a huge waste of space as they only display 1 thing well as there is no scrolling in them. And the colors are garish and ugly. Flat looking UIs were OK in 1993 but really, that's the best you can do?

And then there's the whole "one minute you're in a desktop app, next your whisked to Metro" inconsistencies that would drive me batty.

Heck if you're going to learn a new OS already, install Linux or buy a Mac. Both (especially the Mac) is a much better path than Windows 8.

Oh, and the Surface is shaping up to be a debacle as well. This guy is all Microsoft and is sending it back:
http://ozar.me/2012/10/why-im-returning-my-microsoft-surface-rt/

Microsoft still doesn't get good design or usability. They want to cram everything in there rather than do few things really well. I gave up on them both in personal and business computing long ago.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back