Windows 7 doesn't connect to web....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Gateway MD2419u.A friend of mine asked me to find out why he cannot get internet.Weird thing is,that Microsoft security Essentials updates and some other program.i have tried wireless AND Ethernet cable and i get the "page cannot be displayed" display. What can i check?

Since the problem exists with both wired and wireless options, I'd suspect the following, in order of likelihood:

1) Problem with the cable modem or other Internet connection device. Unplug it for 30 seconds to reset it.

2) Problem with router. Same deal...unplug it for 30 seconds or so to reset.

3) Problem with Internet service provider. Wait for it to be resolved or call in to their tech support to report it.

I doubt its anything with the computer itself if it was working previously. Win7 has pretty good auto Internet detection capabilities.

The owner tried it in his home where he had it hooked up,nothing.I tried the wireless in a hotel where my comp did work,nothing.I tried it in my house with Ethernet cable,nothing

try another computer on that router - it may not be the router or ISP: get a command prompt and type "ipconfig /all" look and see what IP address is listed for the DNS server. I've had two machines brought to me recently (one was Win7 and only 4 months old.) after our network guy spent an hour with it - we finally did a restore (the automatic restore built into windows) on another Vista machine recently I ended up reloading it after spending way too much time trying to troubleshoot...

Open Internet Explorer. Tools drop-down. Internet Options. Connections. LAN Settings. Check “Automatically Detect Settings. UN-Check everything else. Restart IE and/or reboot.

If Microsoft security Essentials updates, then you are connected, you just can not get the browser to find the connection.

Last edited:
something is misconfigured in windows. its not a router or cable modem if MSE updates

Originally Posted By: 94MaxGXE
Open Internet Explorer. Tools drop-down. Internet Options. Connections. LAN Settings. Check “Automatically Detect Settings. UN-Check everything else. Restart IE and/or reboot.

If Microsoft security Essentials updates, then you are connected, you just can not get the browser to find the connection.

That automatically configures for a proxy. I doubt he has a proxy, so I always leave EVERYTHING unchecked on that page. Makes for faster browser start-up.

OP:

Try manually setting the DNS servers to 208.67.222.222 and 208.67.220.220 (OpenDNS).

And run an ipconfig /all and post up the results in this thread please.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back