Windows 7 and ESET.... GRRRRRR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just did the upgrade to Win 7 last night. When i started it up internet didn't work because it said the firewall had an issue. had to reinstall ESET Smart Security 4.

Downloaded the Win7 version of ESET and it worked fine, until it rebooted then it came up with same error. this is driving me nuts including that it won't give me internet access...

HALP

seems to be working OK now. man what a pain in the arse!

thanks!!

Last edited:
if i didn't have a second computer there is no way i could have solved this!! very annoying.

Clean installs are much better than an upgrade, but it looks like it was just an Eset problem. I too recommend the MS Security Essentials or Avast. Both are free.

Last edited:
I use the ESET NOD32 product, not the "security suite".

It is a very lightweight antivirus and really like it. It is also more effective than Avast!. I don't have enough experience with Security Essentials yet to deem how it falls in the ranks.

I am happy with ESET smart security. it is paid for unitl Nov 11 so I better use it! other than this glitch (which i have solved now) it runs well.

since the upgrade, every time i boot up it takes 5 minutes for windows and my router to shake hands... pretty frustrating... it comes up with a bunch of error messages then suddenly works after not touching it...

oh and now i have a new problem of the sound waxing and waning when i play music through itunes....

i never thought id say this but i wish i stuck with Vista!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted By: JustinH
Delete eset, use microsoft security essentials, its free also.

Best answer in this thread. Screw ESET. They had plenty of time to get their product to work with Win 7.

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

Best answer in this thread. Screw ESET. They had plenty of time to get their product to work with Win 7.

Baloney. I've been using ESET products from the early beta release through RTM on W7 with zero problems. With ESET, all you need is their basic NOD32, and not the "suite". The latter is targeted to the same herd that rides the Norton 360 merry-go-round, taking over your computer and your wallet. The former is lightweight and extremely effective all by itself. Get any desired supplemental ASW elsewhere and run a HW firewall.

If MSFT's past record in security utilities is any indication, I would approach their latest "security essentials" with considerable reservation until it proves itself.

That MSFT uses ESET to protect their own servers speaks volumes.

ESET has worked great for me.. it was only in the changeover, folks... and thanks to your help i got it solved. so it's all good!

Originally Posted By: Greggy_D

ESET's products work fine with Windows 7, and HAVE worked fine with Windows 7. This is an UPGRADE issue.

UPGRADE

Something that NEVER goes smoothly with Windows.

So it is no surprise that the OP is having these issues.

So you did a Windows 7 upgrade with a resident virus scanner still running in the background on your then-current Windows installation? This is not a Win7 problem nor is it an ESET problem.

i get what you are saying but there was nothing int he documentation that came with the upgrade discs to say "hey better turn of your AV". and there are a lot more people less literate with PC's out there. smartarse remark!!

Last edited:
I upgraded from vista to beta then to final windows 7. Everything works good.

A clean install should fix your problems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back