Wind power being used for commercial shipping

Seems interesting. Doesn't look like traditional sails, but blades. Right they're they're supplemental with an expected contribution of 30% of the energy needed.

Looks like the shape is to make it easy to dock and load rather than maximize wind catch for the mast structural strength. It looks like it is still a fuel powered ship with wind assist so it will go in a straight line. So instead of catching as much wind as possible it wants to avoid catching winds in opposite directions sometimes.

Seems interesting. Doesn't look like traditional sails, but blades. Right they're they're supplemental with an expected contribution of 30% of the energy needed.

30% sounds wildly optimistic. It's a bit like a mild hybrid setup, helping when it can. We moved away from sails on ships for a reason ;)

Nukes seem like the obvious choice, but there are serious challenges with security outside of military and government (ice breaker) applications.

30% sounds wildly optimistic. It's a bit like a mild hybrid setup, helping when it can. We moved away from sails on ships for a reason ;)

Nukes seem like the obvious choice, but there are serious challenges with security outside of military and government (ice breaker) applications.
If you are willing to wait long enough even 100% is possible. The biggest cost is not fuel but having cargos stuck in the ocean and owners having to pay for the coat like interest and insurance.

The one contribution they're claiming is that these are faster. Obviously they travel fairly slowly for efficiency, but one report I heard was that it was capable of 13 knots before the sails but 16 after they were installed.

If you are willing to wait long enough even 100% is possible. The biggest cost is not fuel but having cargos stuck in the ocean and owners having to pay for the coat like interest and insurance.
Of course, that was the age of sail! Where it might take 6 months for the stuff to arrive because you were at the whims of the weather.

The one contribution they're claiming is that these are faster. Obviously they travel fairly slowly for efficiency, but one report I heard was that it was capable of 13 knots before the sails but 16 after they were installed.
That seems slow, the Maersk Triple-E monsters have a designed cruise speed of 19-knots (which is considered slow):

The nuke-powered aircraft carriers can do over 30 knots and are fuelled for 20-25 year service.

That seems slow, the Maersk Triple-E monsters have a designed cruise speed of 19-knots (which is considered slow):

The nuke-powered aircraft carriers can do over 30 knots and are fuelled for 20-25 year service.

I barely heard the report and it might have been discussion of another ship. But I see this showing an average speed of 10.3 knots and a max speed of 16.7. Probably the stats before these sails were added.

They once ruled the seas…faster, more efficient than their coal fired competitors.

But it took real sailors to get the best from them…

Cutty Sark shown…the acme of the windjammers.
IMG_0102.jpeg

Saw these container ships at DSME (Okpo) … stunning … almost everything they were building there was largest of a class …

So the power capabilities of that thing is actually better than the amount of drag it adds? Huh.
I think for this to work it has to be adjustable so that it is deployed if it is going in the right direction, or maybe generate electricity to push it in the right direction. Zigzagging when the wind is opposite of where you want to go is probably not a great idea compare to burning fuel oil.

Because of speed, I think it is only useful for ultra slow and heavy bulk item, like rocks and sands. Even soybeans can go bad if you sit there for too long.

Nuke would only be viable if a separate generator ship followed across ocean and did not follow into port. Then battery or other power source (generator) to enter any non developing countries ports.

I doubt anything nuke would be insurable. US government : taxpayer backs our carriers and subs. Also nuke at least in subs is 2 years in port and 3 years in ocean. At least US sub fleet at local naval yard.

Back