WINCHESTER Model 94

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, they're gonna quit making them.

I've wanted one since I was about 11 or 12 (31 now). I suppose I'll pay a premium price for one, but I still love the gun. It's got great lines and a great history. To me...it's just a SEXY gun!!!

I'm going to day to try to find one and compare prices. Anyone else looking, or seen them lately? DOes anyone own one? I'm looking for the .30-30 caliber. Looking at either the Ranger or Trapper models.

Anyone wanna add their 2 cents?

I inheireted my great grandad's Model 94 in .25-35. It's a fun gun to shoot. If you look on gunbroker.com, you'll find many M94's for sale. Winchester's best levergun was the Model 71 in .348 caliber. Though, those cost a small fortune nowadays.

My Father bought me my M94 Ranger in the early 90's as my 1st deer rifle. I loved it and it does function very smooth. I've taken down more deer with that gun than any other i've used.

Sad to think they will not be making them anymore but that is the future of all things American.

I know, how sad. It was an American classic. I have a Model 94 in .30-30 (complete with awesome horse-hair sling), and I love it. Just don't try to take it apart!

My dad has a lever-action Rossi in .45 Colt (a Winchester Model 92 replica), and "The Peacemaker", along with all appropriate accessories. I think lever actions are just fun to shoot.

Winchester will still be around though, just not as an "American-made" company. The New Haven, CT plant is all [I don't mean to sound indifferent about that] that's closing. The new Winchester stuff will just get made in Japan/Belgium/Portugal, (like most of it is now anyway) but like you said, the Model 94 is on its way out for good. Too bad.

I also have a 9422 and really like it. The factory tangent sight really inhales. I put a cheap Simmons 4X on it and it is a tack driver under 50 yards.

Most 94's have the traditional, nice-looking, walnut stock. The Ranger has a hardwood stock, but its not the traditional walnut. I would not get the Ranger for that reason alone. I wouldn't get the Trapper because of its short barrel. If its your first 94, I suggest the traditional model. You'll find them all over the place where used guns are sold, from excellent to poor condition. Just look around a lot. I've had one for 23 years. Great gun.

I have a marlin made 94 brush gun... it shoots .38spl+p and .357mag... so I can practice at any gun range I want, and shooting is relatively cheap.

http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/1894centerfire/1894C.aspx

granted, you want a winchester 94, but to the best of my knowledge, winchester guns havent been the real winchester guns for quite some time now... I forget who makes them though.

I really like my marlin, both of my rifles are marlin... but given all the experience on this site, tell me if there is something not to like about the company
smile.gif

A take down model makes for a very portable firearm, they're a classic, otherwise I prefer bolt guns for most shooting, like a M70 :^)

1sttruck... can you give me more reccomendations of good bolt rifles? Im hoping for one that has a magazine and that I can mount a good scope on... kinbd of like the old sniper rifles
smile.gif

Im not familiar with the M70...

Thanks!

If you want great bolt-guns at reasonable prices, try the CZ-550 and CZ-527. I have a number of the 550's, and they are tough, reliable rifles. All forged steel, and hammer-forged barrels. Nice wood stocks, too.

I would go for a Marlin 30 30. I have owned both the Winchesters and Marlins. Marlins are built stronger and absorb recoil better than Winchesters. Hold both and you will see. The Marlin is way more accurate also.

quote:

1sttruck... can you give me more reccomendations of good bolt rifles? Im hoping for one that has a magazine and that I can mount a good scope on... kinbd of like the old sniper rifles ?

Im not familiar with the M70...

Maybe I can help you. I can see that your shooting skills are limited......that's alright. How do you intend to use this rifle ?! At what distances will you be shooting at ?! How accurate of a rifle do you want ?! What prior shooting skills do you have ?!

savvy,

Id want one to do deer hunting... 100-150 yards I guess?

I have a marlin 22, my marlin .38/357 lever action, a S&W 686 medium frame, and a walther ppk, and a beretta 390 shotgun.

Im a weekend target and trapshooter... nothing serious. After I buy my house, I want to get into hunting - a LOT of my friends do deer and duck hunting... I dont have experience, but I have experience to draw from.

Thanks!

I had a Winchester 94 30 30 many years ago sold it never regretted it. About 10 years ago I got back into lever actions. Bought a Marlin 1894 in 44 Mag than a Marlin 336 30-30 than a 1894 in 357 Mag. They are not as accurate as a good bolt action but none the less they are fun to shoot.

Are we sure they are going to quit making them or quit making them "here"?

All I heard was that they were moving "offshore" for manufacturing of firearms.

(Hopefully not Ammo).

There a lot of popular bolt actions available, used ones too, but I'm biased in favor of the M70 Winchester as that's just about all that one saw being used as a 'bolt gun' in highpower rifle (target shooting with iron sights). Most bolt actions load from the top with single rounds fed into a magazine, and very few these days take a stripper clip as most mount a scope. Some use a removable magazine that allow loading from the bottom. Regarding the M70 a purist would want a 'pre-64' action, which was basically a slightly improved '98 Mauser action, either in actual pre-1964 model (expensive as they're collectable) or as a new model that has such an action (still typically kind of expensive). A practical model would be a synthetic stock, stainless, with a scope, in anything from .243 to .270 to .308 to 30.06 or whatever for deer. I have a pre-war model in .30 Gov't (pre WWII in 30.06) which I found for a very good price in a small sporting goods store, as I'm not always practical. Now that Winchester appears to be stopping production, expect maybe out of the cutom shop, I'm glad that I have some.

They are closing the factory here and will be building guns in China. They are though ceasing production of the Model 94 totally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back