Win 10 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
My Dell XPS 800 has been running flawlessly. After just waking it up from SLEEP, I was using Firefox and noticed that somehow the function of the scroll wheel had changed. Instead of it scrolling the web page up-down, it would ZOOM the page in-out just as I would normally do with the CTRL+/- keys. I attempted a restart and now have a new problem. The system hangs on the screen with the Dell logo. This screen also shows two options I have never seen before: the first is to press F2 for Setup, the other is to press F12 for Boot Options, but nothing happens when I press either key. In addition, in the bottom center of the screen there appears what I will loosely call a "progress bar", as if something or some function is supposed to take place...but nothing ever does. So far I have attempted 3 cold starts and so far the system will not boot. I have waited approx 10 minutes after booting with nothing happening. As far as I know I am current with all updates and did not receive one today. Prior to these problems, I was only doing normal web surfing...nothing unusual.

Any help would be appreciated. Thank You.

unplug everything except keyboard and monitor(well power cord of course) and see if it boots.
If you have an extra keyboard use that one.

Your computer isn't completing POST. It's hasn't even gotten to Windows yet. It's not a Windows 10 problem, it's a hardware problem.

Hit F12 and run Dell's built-in diagnostic.

I made the keyboard swap using the only spare I have...from a 2008 Dell Inspiron...and it works! Thank you Rand for the suggestion. Tomorrow first thing I'll be getting a replacement. I never liked that particular keyboard anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back