Will MoS2 reduce engine noise?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new nissan rogue with a 2.5 4 cly that has VVEL(variable valve event lift) and a CVT(constant variable transmission). The engine is pretty loud when accelerating and according to my research its engine noise rather than transmission noise. I was just curious if MoS2 additives would quieten the engine down any. I could try it and see I suppose.

Also I have been told that MoS2 additives would clog the tiny passages required for the oil to pass through and activate & trigger the VVEL system properly . Any thoughts on that as a possibility. I certainly dont want to risk damaging the engine.

Thanks

No to noise. Was trying to combat some startup noise but no dice.

As far as clogging fine passages, if it was to agglomerate, perhaps. But if you buy a specific purpose MoS2 like LM, it is surface stabilized so that this will not happen, and in such a small size, it passes through filter media and will circulate fine.

I'd leave the MoS2 out. If the is bothersome you could always take it back to the dealer.

Any idea why the engine is noisy? Injectors? Valves?

Originally Posted By: JRed
I'd leave the MoS2 out. If the is bothersome you could always take it back to the dealer.

The noise is inherent to the engine design. Sounds like the VVEL. The CVT keeps the RPM at a constant 4000rpm under hard acceleration which causes a droning noise from the engine. Its fine under normal Acceleration. I think Ill leave out the MoS2 for now and just go with Mobile 1 at my first oil change.

Last edited:
that stuff will make more noise then quiet it down. When I first own a jeep 4.0, aand most already know these engine is noisy , so i bought mos2 after recomment me on here, it made the jeep more noisy, dont note different on performing, but note more noisy, drain it out the next day , and put regular 10w30 oil on and it quiet down to old noise.

I've tried the stuff once also and in a noisy engine. The noise did seem to get just a bit louder as well, but with that my average fuel economy went from a very consistent 28 MPG to a less consistent 33 to 35 MPG. After six weeks both the extra noise and fuel economy started to drop off. Over a period of about two weeks both the noise level returned and the fuel consumption returned to normal.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
What type of Moly do they put in this product for use? Does anyone know?

Lubru Moly says it is colloidal MOS2 (molybdenum disulfide) suspension in mineral oil.

I use it with my old vvt (similar idea). Noise? no difference. a cleaning with Kreen made the most difference. Vibration? Idle? yup!!! Mos2 made the I4 idle like a champ!!!

Wow, I guess I'm the only one with 4 applications that Lubro Moly quieted down. It made a significant decrease in noise on my truck and my parent's 03 Chevy Venture.

I recently put Lubro Moly in a '05 Honda Accord 2.4 liter that had become fairly noisy upon first start of the day and stayed that way until fully warmed up. The Lubro Moly has made the engine as quiet during that first start as when warm. I'm not an oil additives kinda guy, but am really happy with the LM, and will use and watch it long term.

Tried it in my Jeep, been in a couple weeks now, it is unquestionably quieter than before. I didn't even use a whole can, my put the last third in on down the OCI.

I will buy it again.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
Tried it in my Jeep, been in a couple weeks now, it is unquestionably quieter than before. I didn't even use a whole can, my put the last third in on down the OCI.

I will buy it again.

nothing will ever keep that 4.0L quiet
smile.gif
turn the radio up and window up and keep on driving

Originally Posted By: zzdroptop
Originally Posted By: JRed

The noise is inherent to the engine design. Sounds like the VVEL. The CVT keeps the RPM at a constant 4000rpm under hard acceleration which causes a droning noise from the engine. Its fine under normal Acceleration. I think Ill leave out the MoS2 for now and just go with Mobile 1 at my first oil change.

I am in agreement with this statement[engine design]

Every article I have read on Rogue/Altima with this drivetrain made mention(but only mention) of this lack of refinement. The articles didn't harp on Nissan about it, just the fact that Nissan's engine design could use somemore polising to eliminate the engine drone. Especially now that the engine is used with the CVT

I have a 2.5L in my '04 Altima with a conventional 4spd auto and it's louder/less refined than the Accord/Camry engine(or just about any 4 cyl in it's class) but, not LOUD per/say. And the rest of the car is reasonably quiet and enjoyable to drive.

It's quieted down 3 out of the 4 engines I put it in. Some, it took some time, and on my truck is was within 10 minutes.

I'll bet the Mfr. frowns on any additives, esp MoS2 types.
But they HAVE to take this position.
One reason I use MoS2 in my oil is BECAUSE of the variable valve timing system! I want it to last - work freely, and not wear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back