Will Mercon/Dex III hurt polymers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Playing with homemade gun lubes out of boredom. Many rave about ATF and synthetic motor oil, others claim damage to polymers and platics in frames and stocks.

Not a chemist, so asking the folks who know oil/fluids best. Will Mobil 1 or Mercon harm plastic/polymer?

Thanks for any insight.

Do you know what kind of polymer? Nylon, polycarbonate, etc.? A lot of that stuff is already well-documented and you may be able to find it by Googling.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
I thought ATF was a cleaner?

And are you talking about cleaning Glock?

Yes, but some use it as a CLP or part of a CLP recepie. The glock has a polymer frame, and my hunting rifles and duck guns have polymer or plastic stocks. I did a test in the pole barn and the ATF was a better protector than synthetic motor oil for a saltwater spray. A Google search had some warnings about interaction with plastics and rubber. Others say no problem. No proof or chemists like I find here. Search of this site did not answer my question. Might be better to stick with Breakfree, but I can't help myself from messing with stuff. Thanks for any insight.

Last edited:
Quote:
Will Mercon/Dex III hurt polymers?

I know of nothing in straight Dex/Merc that would harm those hard polymers.

The plastics used in gun parts are versions of Nylon. Nylon is extremely chemical resistant and used in transmission parts.

I know the gun world likes to claim "it's not plastic, it's polymer" but "polymer" is a very broad term. All plastics are polymers. It's like saying "It's not a car, it's a machine" when you are talking about a Ford Focus.

Nylons (like PA66, etc) usually have good chemical resistance to organic solvents, oils, and so on. Where they fall short are acids.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back