Will a 20w60 burn less oil than a 20w50

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
Don't have those here, i am currently running a HM oil which is Shell Hx3 and you don't have that in the states, and have had great results,
I'm tired of this thread now, bye

Thank you, so am I.

But wait - you kept posting?

How about this: drive the car into a tree (or a ditch) and then you'll have an excuse to buy a new car so you can stop wasting your time on this. Just remember to fasten your seat belt first!

Or, you could enter the car into a demolition derby. If it survives, then at least the body will match the *****y engine. If the car gets completely destroyed, then you'll have accomplished the same as suggested above.

Either way, it's a win-win for both you and that car!

I think the OP is, like me, since we both are faily new in the "oil educated world", torn between trying new oils that may be better, and sticking to oils/oils specs that are known ok (or supposedly better for his oil consumption issue, for example).
I have an advantage over the OP, my diesel car is a beater, and I do many more miles per months than his Capri.

Sooo I use this car as a "oil experiment lab", to compare different oils. Yes I've noticed difference in noise, cold start behaviour (an issue he won't have in Spain), eagerness to rev (if you can call 4000rpm redline), the thickness of the oil when it was drained, the quantity of oil left on the camshaft after a while, etc. Yes, this may be anecdotic and not related to the engine wear or its remaining life, but some oils proved to be more comforting to the ears
smile.gif

In my case, remaining engine life is not important, and I don't have oil consumption issue (but fuel dilution is a problem), in the OP's case, it's different...but his engine is more worth an eventual rebuild..it's all a matter of point of view.

My advice to the OP ; if you have time, money, energy, you can try some oils and find the one that suit your engine best. There's plenty of possibilities, so you can spend a lifetime seeking for the ultimate oil, but don't forget the most important part, having fun with your car!
grin.gif

RPMster said:
How about this: drive the car into a tree (or a ditch) and then you'll have an excuse to buy a new car so you can stop wasting your time on this. Just remember to fasten your seat belt first!

Or, you could enter the car into a demolition derby. If it survives, then at least the body will match the *****y engine. If the car gets completely destroyed, then you'll have accomplished the same as suggested above.

I don't know if i should just ignore you, probably yes

I would not get a new car even if you payed me, so [censored] off

Originally Posted By: Popsy
I think the OP is, like me, since we both are faily new in the "oil educated world", torn between trying new oils that may be better, and sticking to oils/oils specs that are known ok (or supposedly better for his oil consumption issue, for example).
I have an advantage over the OP, my diesel car is a beater, and I do many more miles per months than his Capri.

Sooo I use this car as a "oil experiment lab", to compare different oils. Yes I've noticed difference in noise, cold start behaviour (an issue he won't have in Spain), eagerness to rev (if you can call 4000rpm redline), the thickness of the oil when it was drained, the quantity of oil left on the camshaft after a while, etc. Yes, this may be anecdotic and not related to the engine wear or its remaining life, but some oils proved to be more comforting to the ears
smile.gif

In my case, remaining engine life is not important, and I don't have oil consumption issue (but fuel dilution is a problem), in the OP's case, it's different...but his engine is more worth an eventual rebuild..it's all a matter of point of view.

My advice to the OP ; if you have time, money, energy, you can try some oils and find the one that suit your engine best. There's plenty of possibilities, so you can spend a lifetime seeking for the ultimate oil, but don't forget the most important part, having fun with your car!
grin.gif

Finally somebody that has a bit of common sense , and now i am done with this thread for real

Originally Posted By: RPMster

Either way, it's a win-win for both you and that car!

as you can see FCD, you're not the only one getting tired. Sometimes I read your posts and feel like slamming my head against a brick wall.

Last edited:
Finally somebody that has a bit of common sense , and now i am done with this thread for real

The only person lacking the common sense here is you buddy.
spankme2.gif

Let's hope you are done with this thread "for real."

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
SAE 70?? That stuff is like water !

It's not just any sae 70 it's sae 70 PLUS!

BTW if anyone is curious the Lucas sae 70 plus data sheet shows KV100 @ 30 cSt and over 5400 ppm zddp (just says zinc on data sheet though)

Zinc by weight is 0.28%!

Wow boy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back