Wideman - Chevron Delo Gear Oil question

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wideman, I see that you are a big proponent of the Chevron Delo gear oils. I did a search on your remarks and something is wrong. I see your posts listed, but when I go to open them up, I get a message that they can't be found.

Anyway, I have a '01 burb with Eaton style locking diff and am going to get the rear end fluid changed by a diff specialty shop. My manual calls for syn 75W-90, but this shop prefers the Chevron Delo 85W140 in all the diff that they rebuild. They claim that a lot of the syn break down or are just too thin. I disagree! I believe due to the CAFE standards in the US that they are using 75W-90 for fuel enconomy.

Bob talks frequently about the need for an oil that climbs up the gears and promotes Schaeffer oil. While I believe that it is good oil, I would like an OTS gear oil due to availabilty.

How does the Chevron Delo perform? Based on their product sheet, it appears that it is a very good gear oil. Do you know if it is a Group II, II+ or III base oil?

I talked to the rear end OEM, American Axle Manufucturer, and they claim that there is not any problem putting in 85W140 in their rear ends. They agreed with my opionion as to why all car OEM's are specing out 75W90. They even said that an 85W140 is preferred if you are doing a lot of heavy hauling and several customers of theirs, Fed Ex, specifically, changes out the factory 75W90 with 85W140 syn as soon they get the new trucks in.

Thanks in advance for your reply and comments.

The possible gear Lubes you could use are (stick with the Eaton Recommendation):
Redline,
Schaeffer's 740, 741
Pennzoil's New Fullsynth GL.

I too have had problems with diffy shop's and their ignorant "it's too thin" statement. If the tested viscosities of the synth fluid show it to be a 75W90 or a 75W140, then its that viscosity. 75W140 is for pulling loads in hot weather; 75W90 for all other situations all year round.

Personally I would stick to the 80w90 in most situations. The thicker the oil, in most differentials, the higher the temperatures. 85w90 at 90 C is the same viscosity as 80w90 at 70 C. I've been able to bring temps down to 56 C in Volvo Truck Transmissions. I'm running Delo 80w90 in my Banderiante pickup which carries 1 1/2 tons of drums of oil through the mud for about 1000 km per week and should probably change it since it's been in there almost 100,000 km. Next week I'm meeting with some of the Bus owners who have more than 150,000 km of dirt mountain roads in their Volvo transmissions. If you've seen my site, you will see some of the advantages I've documented, but it didn't get the product of the year award for nothing.
It is a group II+

Widman, I have not visited your site but does'nt the Chevron have the highest Timken load abilities of all the OTC Dino gear oils?

Some are a measely 50 or so,,thinking the Chevron was 75?

You are right, most are between 40 and 45. One of the tremendous benefits for us here with 95% unpaved corrugated dirt and gravel roads is the 75 lb Timken test of the Delo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back