Why the Fram love on this board?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by CR94
How do you explain so many complaints of "start-up rattle" with Ultras? That many leaky new ADBVs?

I wouldn't call it a lot of reports of start-up rattle, buy yeah there are some. Like said before, any oil leaking out of the system when the engine is shut off is most likely a leaky ADBV. Any filter made could have that issue.

Personally, I've never had a vehicle that experiences start-up rattle, even after an oil change and a dry filter is installed, and all the oil galleries above the filter have drained out during the oil change. If an engine doesn't rattle from that situation, it's not going to rattle even if the ADBV leaks some. Obviously, some engines are way more sensitive to start-up rattle from oil leaving the oil galleries than other engines are.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
How do you explain so many complaints of "start-up rattle" with Ultras? That many leaky new ADBVs?

I wouldn't call it a lot of reports of start-up rattle, buy yeah there are some. Like said before, any oil leaking out of the system when the engine is shut off is most likely a leaky ADBV. Any filter made could have that issue.

Personally, I've never had a vehicle that experiences start-up rattle, even after an oil change and a dry filter is installed, and all the oil galleries above the filter have drained out during the oil change. If an engine doesn't rattle from that situation, it's not going to rattle even if the ADBV leaks some. Obviously, some engines are way more sensitive to start-up rattle from oil leaving the oil galleries than other engines are.

Please name the engine displacement, make & models of vehicles you owned? You obviously haven't owned all GMs.

The Ultra that rattled bad on startup was on my Colorado 3.5. That model has a straight standup, vertical oil filter mount, threads at the top. Most of the filters for that model have no ADBV. But not all of the oil filter makers are like that.

The oil filter that rattled the worst was the OEM AC Delco PF61 and it does not contain a ADBV. My last two filters did not rattle on startup.....ie.... Premium Guard and K&N Gold.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

Please name the engine displacement, make & models of vehicles you owned? You obviously haven't owned all GMs.

You can doubt my comment, but it's true ... I've never had any vehicle "rattle" after an oil change or from a bad oil filter. The Vette is a GM (had two of them) ... no rattles. No rattles on a V8 Camaro, had two of them also (more GMs) ... no rattles on a Nissan Altima V6 .. no rattles on the Tacoma V6 ... no rattles on a Mustang V8 ... no rattles on an older Toyota pickup with a V6 ... no rattles on anything I've owned.

Originally Posted by PimTac
Thanks for the comments Motorking. Your presence here on BITOG is much appreciated.

I agree 100% PimTac.

Jay is awesome being on here.

Originally Posted by Onetor
sloinger,

You can get the Fram Ultra on ebay for around $4.50 each when you buy a case (6). That is a fantastic price. Half the price of WallyWorld.

Coupled with the fact that Motorking (fram rep) will answer questions and is happy to give out data, per application. Google is your friend!

Agreed 100% !!!

This makes it a NO BRAINER !!! I have bought (2) 6 filter cases @ $24 each case shipped for my fleet off of ebay from SAE-AUTO.

There is NO other filter you can get for $4 or less that comes close to what the Fram UG's offers !!!

Dave

An Ultra is so stout you can safely do 2 normal oil changes if you want a top quality filter. That halves the price and the small amount of oil left in the filter is irrelevant now a days. I would have no problem running any Fram filter for the OEM recommended drain intervals. Even at $8.97 they are cheap enough to change every 6 mos. That's what I am going to do. Once you get an Ultra in your hand it's hard to run anything else as I found out.

This board convinced me to run the ultra on my truck. I've been using it since 5k miles (about to hit 20k). Like some others I was able to find a box of 6 on ebay for about $30. That makes them $5 a filter. Pretty feature/quality packed filter for $5. At that price I still swap them out at 5k intervals. I'm still in warranty though and don't want any issues with that. Out of warranty I would run it for 10k.

I know alot of people with the Nissan VQ 4.0 complain about startup rattle. Whatever it is, I don't have it. My engine runs smooth whether its below freezing or above 90f. Thats just with normal M1 5w30 and the Fram Ultra.

I'm from the time when a nitrile ADBV was a luxury, and many filters on my LTD had none at all. Now, there was startup rattle!

Originally Posted by 53' Stude
The old wives tales never die

Unfortunately, ex-wives don't do it soon enough either
lol.gif

Originally Posted by SubieRubyRoo
Originally Posted by 53' Stude
The old wives tales never die

Unfortunately, ex-wives don't do it soon enough either
lol.gif

Unfortunately future wives tales aren't uncovered in time (prior to weddings) either.

Wait - never mind! Hardly anyone gets married these days and if they do, it won't last 10 years.

Originally Posted by jongies3
Originally Posted by Colt45ws
Nothing wrong with FRAM. At least the OCOD doesn't tear even when overloaded, unlike the Purolator that does with 7500 on a clean Ford 4.6.
I use Ultra exclusively unless cost is an issue, however running an Ultra for two or more oil changes helps amortize the inital cost.
Fram makes filters for Racing applications. No excuse for flattening filters on race engines with standard filters.

I did see where quite awhile ago, someone blew out a ACDelco Ecore on a built SBC I think? It was something GM with the oil filter bypass in the block. The engine builder had disabled the bypass for god only knows what reason. Not a good one, whatever it was. Of course running really thick oil and they took it out for a drive. Got on the throttle before it was warmed up. I think the debris from the filter damaged the motor IIRC.
So a case of wrong filter for the application, and likely the bypass should have been left alone. But at the very least a racing filter should have been used.

What in the world happened to that poor filter?!

Sludged Chevy 5.3 in a pickup. Have no idea what the OCI, etc was on it. It was a truck I changed oil on once while I was working at Walmart Tire and Lube. Have a video of the oil being drained but I cannot post due to language. Could PM if anybody was interested.

Last edited:
Because we refuse to live in the past. Fram has improved greatly. In fact, the Ultra series are as good as Amsoil and RP filters. I used to be part of "Mechanics do it better" group on FB, and they're nothing but a bunch of nasty hillbillies who know nothing about oil and filters.

Originally Posted by Matagonka
I used to be part of "Mechanics do it better" group on FB, and they're nothing but a bunch of nasty hillbillies who know nothing about oil and filters.

crackmeup2.gif

Ive never been a huge fan of Fram filters because I remember the 1990's and the huge anti Fram campaign. My Dad has always bought Fram. His vehicles last forever. 3000 mile/5000km oil changes. Even when the rest of the vehicle is done for the engines are like new and don't use oil. The last oil change on my truck was with a Fram Tough Guard. First time Ive bought a Fram filter in ages.... fingers cross my engine doesn't blow up! lol

Originally Posted by Matagonka
Because we refuse to live in the past. Fram has improved greatly. In fact, the Ultra series are as good as Amsoil and RP filters. I used to be part of "Mechanics do it better" group on FB, and they're nothing but a bunch of nasty hillbillies who know nothing about oil and filters.

20w-50 works better than anything else!

I was a Fram basher until the last 2-3 years. Now, I'll install a OCOD before an E-Core. And if Honda and Subaru trust Fram enough to make their service filters, it's good enough for me.

I have Ultras on my parent's cars, even though it's cheaper to use an OEM Toyota/Denso filter. So far, so good. I also have a TG on a friend's bike and I'll be spinning on a PH3614 on a piece of OPE.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Triple_Se7en

You can doubt my comment, but it's true ... I've never had any vehicle "rattle" after an oil change or from a bad oil filter. The Vette is a GM (had two of them) ... no rattles. No rattles on a V8 Camaro, had two of them also (more GMs) ... no rattles on a Nissan Altima V6 .. no rattles on the Tacoma V6 ... no rattles on a Mustang V8 ... no rattles on an older Toyota pickup with a V6 ... no rattles on anything I've owned.

I've owned a BUNCH of GM vehicles, as well as Jeeps, Fords, Toyotas, and Mercedes. The only startup rattle I ever heard was my 08 Jeep Wrangler when I ran a Mobil 1 filter in it. The Jeep forums went crazy identifying this. I switched at the time to a Ford Motorcraft filter and it stopped. Since I found the Fords to be Tearolators, I moved to Fram Ultras and they do just fine. No issue. The drain back valve on the M1 of that time period apparently wasn't compatible with the angle of the filter, or they just didn't work. I wonder if they've changed since then?

Originally Posted by GMguy84
Originally Posted by Onetor
sloinger,

You can get the Fram Ultra on ebay for around $4.50 each when you buy a case (6). That is a fantastic price. Half the price of WallyWorld.

Coupled with the fact that Motorking (fram rep) will answer questions and is happy to give out data, per application. Google is your friend!

Agreed 100% !!!

This makes it a NO BRAINER !!! I have bought (2) 6 filter cases @ $24 each case shipped for my fleet off of ebay from SAE-AUTO.

There is NO other filter you can get for $4 or less that comes close to what the Fram UG's offers !!!

Dave

Do the Ultras have a "shelf life" or not really?

As I don't drive a lot and would be running 2x OCIs on Hondas, I might use 2 filters every 1.5 to 2 yrs, so a 6 pack could mean that the last couple I end up using are 6 years sitting on the shelf. Is that too long?

Also any chance these are "fakes" or customer returns or something damaged or no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back