Why Slam the Fram?

Status
Not open for further replies.
a lot o fram filters have paper end caps glued on. IF this gives way, then you have oil going through the filter-unfiltered!!!
You will have no way of knowing its happened, it will not cause a sudden engine failure but it could cause you to be running unfiltered oil across your main and rod bearings wearing them. There are better filters out there for the money. I would run a supertech before a fram.

When I want a filter for a quickie rinse or something, I use a Fram just because of the cheapness and ubiquity. Never used one beyond a few thousand miles, so I don't pile on too much. I do love the names though. "Orange can of death" etc

The post about the Fram ad placement in an article about bad things you do with your car (or somesuch) made me howl!!!

33.gif
another why fram sucks thread??

try the search button..

I've heard the ToughGuard and XtendedGuard products are a LOT better than the "orange can of death." I'm actually using the TG on one of my vehicles now. A friend "was going to throw them away when he ""upgraded"" to a case of K&N oil filters" so he gave me 4 of them. I think they'll do OK with my OCI regimen (Rotella 5W-40 synthetic changed every 5,000 miles).

That said, I normally use Napa Gold filters which are really made by Wix.

Best,

Originally Posted By: oilchangeguy
why does everyone hate Fram filters on this site? I used them for years and haven't had any trouble.

thanks

Only if you use the Orange ones. It's debatable whether you're better off with a blank filter

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Buying the OCOD is like going to Mcdonalds, paying for a steak dinner and walking out with a Cheeseburger and a hot apple pie.

+1.

Originally Posted By: Chris142
Buying the OCOD is like going to Mcdonalds, paying for a steak dinner and walking out with a Cheeseburger and a hot apple pie.
crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: daman
33.gif
another why fram sucks thread??

try the search button..
+1 And if after reading several threads you still think the orange can is the best you can do for the price, then continue to use it.

There are other, superior-construction filters available for the money. Fram filters won't kill your car overnight. I'll use a free Fram on all the cars I service in my family. Except for the same price or a few dollars more, a PureOne is available. That's a highly superior filter in my mind.

...or if you have a Kmart nearby, the Puro Classic is on sale today for $2.99 and there's $1.50 Puro rebate on them. For 97.5% efficiency and solid construction, very decent.

Or Napa Pro Selects. They are not only far better than the "cheap" OCODs, but about 25% cheaper here as well (giving the best of both worlds to someone who wants a dirt cheap filter, but something decent too).

-Spyder

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sayjac
...or if you have a Kmart nearby, the Puro Classic is on sale today for $2.99 and there's $1.50 Puro rebate on them. For 97.5% efficiency and solid construction, very decent.

BINGO...better yet.

I wish we had a K-Mart here. They folded up shop here not long after WM appeared. When looking for a decent filter for short OCI, the Napa PS was the best I could find for cheap. I concede the Purolator Classic is superior, and just proof that there are several better alternatives to the OCOD that also cost less.

-Spyder

Originally Posted By: Spyder7
I wish we had a K-Mart here. They folded up shop here not long after WM appeared. When looking for a decent filter for short OCI, the Napa PS was the best I could find for cheap. I concede the Purolator Classic is superior, and just proof that there are several better alternatives to the OCOD that also cost less.

-Spyder

I did not care for the NPS,, the media was scary thin and brittle the PC is a better choice IMO.

Carquest Red Label filter is the same as a Napa Proselect. I have used both for the last few years and never had any problems with either one.

I like the Purolator Classic best. All 3 filters (for my truck anyway) are made in the USA. I think the Purolator Classic is the better filter to use, but any of these 3 are a great filter for a lot less money than a FRAM.

Originally Posted By: Jimmy9190
Carquest Red Label filter is the same as a Napa Proselect. I have used both for the last few years and never had any problems with either one.

well no you wouldn't of course but i know the filtration and dirt holding capability's are lacking with the thin media in the NPS,you can tell by just looking at it,holding a piece in your fingers,tearing it.

the golds on the other hand are fine,i use them.

I just picked up a Fram Tough-Guard (the mid level filter) for my Wife's Maxx in preparation for the winter change. I can't go with E-cores anymore after two blowouts of the media.

I would personally now run an orange can over a ST E-core. I know many wouldn't, but I'll take my chances with cardboard endcaps over substandard media. Both ST failures I experienced were made in Korea and the made in USA models (with a more robust media construction) are harder to find in my area now.

You know, except for only a couple, the only filter I've ever run on my '89 Cherokee 4.0L have been orange cans. That's partly due to the unique metric thread and availability, but periodic filter opening revealed nothing out of the ordinary.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back