Why pilots love their "job"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some are morons, some are ignorant and some are just tired of being hustled. Charging X for the ticket, but if you want to check a bag add $50 each way. Oh, you have a carry-on, pay up for that too.

The industry has helped create the problem as well. The rules of the game have been changing for all involved. Seems few, on either side of the cockpit door, are happy about those changes.

PS, I try to say thanks to any aircrew, cabin or otherwise when I'm leaving the aircraft. I know they are not the ones changing the game. They are simply trying to play it successfully, just like the flying public.

I am so grateful I no longer travel extensively for work. Last trip from STL to DEN, I drove. Took longer, but knocked out a couple of books on tape during three days of driving there and back.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
You would, as would I, but the traveling public is ignorant of the pay and working conditions at the regionals. They simply shop for cheap, and then complain when they don't have overhead space.

I fly a lot as an employee, generally in civilian clothes. I flew over 100,000 miles on Delta as a paying passenger and over 800,000 miles on United as a paying passenger, with a few flights on US Air, American and Southwest thrown in for good measure.

The ignorance of the traveling public has to be experienced to be believed.

For example, on our delayed flight from SAN - IAD last night, I was riding back in row 32, in regular clothes, and everyone was concerned about connections (I am certain many were missed).

As we were taxiing in, a guy (in his 50s, so he should know better) in row 33, right behind me, stood up and started getting his bag from the overhead. I said, "Hey! we're still taxiing, sit down before you get hurt" He yelled at me, I am not kidding, and said "we aren't moving!" I said, "Yes, we are, and if you fall and hurt me, you're going to be in trouble." He yelled even louder, "Chill, dude! What's your problem!"

Then the flight attendant got on the PA and told him to sit down, along with the others who started to jump up before we were at the gate (a quick peek out the window revealed that the airplane was still moving...but this guy wasn't the type to let the facts sway his opinion...).

He was unable to distinguish between a moving airplane and a stationary one, and unable to think beyond his own desires...as were his fellow passengers who jumped up before we were parked.

The seatbelt sign was on ("But it doesn't apply to me! I'm entitled"). The door was still closed (so, no one was going anywhere) and the flight attendant had asked those without connections to remain seated (so, they were going to get off as quickly as was possible, but that still required the plane to be parked and the door to be opened).

Do you think that moron had any clue about the regionals? What the pay was like? What he was getting for service? He's but one example, of thousands that I've witnessed, of the ingorance of the traveling public. They can't find a gate without help (because the signs are in English?), they can't find their seat, they don't know to look at a monitor to see if things have changed, they can't read their own ticket, they ignore the gate agent who tells them that their bag won't fit in the overhead of the RJ (and then delays the flight as they wrestle it back up the aisle), they can't even find the bathroom without help (again, that would require reading a sign, can't be bothered), I've even been confronted and accused by a passenger who told me that I was lying about the weather in Chicago, when I was in uniform, with the weather print-out in my hands that I had just finished showing her!

Nope, the traveling public is largely morons. They couldn't care less about the crew, the pay, the working conditions because it would distract from their complete focus on themselves.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
fdcg27,

Passengers only want low cost airline tickets. They really don't care what it takes to fly dirt cheap.

I'll be more willing to drive 12-15 hours non stop than get on a plane and deal with the TSA and headaches of air travel.

There are many good airlines and there are airlines that aren't that good.
It isn't hard to tell the difference.
Airline travel is not a fungable good and shopping the cheapest fare will not always give satisfactory results.
People who travel much have learned this the hard way and know which carriers to avoid, while those who rarely leave their cities won't have any idea that there are some carriers best avoided, however cheap the base fare may appear to be.
A good hint would be to avoid those carriers that don't have lots of their own flights from a station and that also lack the ability to interline you if you're stranded.
If you're stranded due to weather or a cancellation or a missed connection with a ticket on certain carriers, then your options are very limited and the good ones are all going to be costly.

The low fare air carriers rival greyhound bus for low quality, grimy planes, generally repellant, skeevy demographic, and poor service. I like to spend wisely, and love a bargain, but I don't need to save a buck bad enough to ride Brand X airlines

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: fdcg27
Unless a pilot starts out in the military, with all of the risks that come with it, commuters are the only way of building turbine time.
Some European airlines use ab initio training schemes. Lufthansa has for many years, but most US carriers seem too penny wise and pound foolish to even consider this.
You don't just have pilot retirements reducing the supply of developed world ATPs, either. Some Middle Eastern and Asian airlines are largely crewed by American and EU expats flying on contract. It takes a lot of pilots to support a fleet as large as some of these carriers have.
I guess I'm trying to say that with the military training far fewer pilots than it once did and also doing a better job of retaining them, commuter carriers look like the only viable source of future crews for the major carriers based in this country.
It's not as though there are all that many of them available either. It all begins with PPL training and there are fewer people starting PPL training with each passing year.

Even going military, your not guaranteed a pilot slot. they are much more picky now. Want to fly a f18? Gotta start getting ready at 16, even then they might say Medically disqualified

Originally Posted By: bigdom

Even going military, your not guaranteed a pilot slot. they are much more picky now. Want to fly a f18? Gotta start getting ready at 16, even then they might say Medically disqualified

Yeah, that's true...folks aren't aware of just how competitive it can be to get through the program. In the Reagan years, when I joined, here's how it played out.

To get in to AOCS in the USN, you needed to pass an extensive physical, including fitness test, have excellent grades, a college degree, pass a background check and never have used drugs. That kept out about 95% of the college grad population.

So, on a hot August morning in Pensacola, 50 of us that had been accepted into the program started.

10 were lost to the more extensive physical by NAMI*

40 started ACOS by getting our heads shaved, and all the fun that ensued.

20 were lost to academics, swim**, the obstacle course*** and other causes, including DOR***.

20 began flight training.

12 graduated flight training two years later.

Of those, 3 were selected for jets.

Of those 3 guys from the original class of 50 candidates, one got fighters.

So, 50 fine young men started out in Pensacola that morning. One got fighters two years later.

There are no guarantees in the military, either.

* Naval Aerospace Medical Institute in Pensacola. Zero tolerance for any physical condition. They existed to wash guys out. I rowed for 4 years in college. Had a resting pulse of 45. Could do 25 pull-ups. Not good enough, I had to have a Holter Heart monitor analysis done when the EKG flagged my low resting pulse rate.

** Swimming in the Navy is a big deal. Jump off a 30 foot tower, swim 25 yards underwater. Swim a mile while wearing a flightsuit. Swim 75 yards while wearing flightsuit, G-suit, boots, helmet, harness and gear. Drownproof for ten minutes in all that gear. Go in the survival "dunkers", which simulate crashing in the water, and extricate yourself while upside down, underwater, and blindfolded.

Some guys just couldn't do it.

*** for details on "Drop On Request", DOR, and how much fun the obstacle course can be, watch "An Officer and a Gentleman" with Richard Gere. Not everyone could handle the O-Course.

Naval Aviators are the best of the best of the best. My opinion what ever it matters.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: bigdom

Yeah, that's true...folks aren't aware of just how competitive it can be to get through the program. In the Reagan years, when I joined, here's how it played out.

To get in to AOCS in the USN, you needed to pass an extensive physical, including fitness test, have excellent grades, a college degree, pass a background check and never have used drugs. That kept out about 95% of the college grad population.

Astro 14 makes some excellent points about the extremely competitive nature of military flying programs; the difficulty in qualifying for them; their attrition rate, etc.

In my graduating year group from college AFROTC in 1976, only the top 15% of pilot qualified graduates were selected for entry into USAF Pilot Training. The other 85% of pilot qualified AFROTC grads were offered a limited number of Navigator slots, non-flying slots or were allowed to walk away from their commitments after receiving a free, four year college education. The only other pilot entrants into UPT during the late 1970's came from the Air Force Academy. OTS candidates would not be allowed to enter UPT until approx 1980 or so due to the shortage of pilot slots after the air war in Vietnam wound down.

My UPT class was unprecedentedly small- only 20 guys. Every guy was typically a top graduate from four year college AFROTC programs across the country-really capable and smart, competitive guys. Every guy in my class graduated from UPT and went on to fighters, transports, tankers, bombers, came back as UPT Instructors (FAIP), etc.

The competition was intense as each guy was a "hair on fire", fighter pilot wannabe-for the most part. It was reflected in our flying performance; our academic classes in aerodynamics, meteorology, instruments, aircraft systems, etc and carried onto the physical training environment in full contact "intramurder" water polo, basketball, softball, 1.5 mile runs, etc. It was always "fangs out", speed of heat effort. Really Type A guys. Would you want any others flying jets for Uncle Sam ?

Performance in follow-on training after UPT was no different, as was the life in a squadron after you got to your assigned airplane. You accepted the competition and thrived on it. Luckily, through all of this, I was a bachelor and my girlfriend lived hours away. For the married guys, their lives were infinitely more complicated I would imagine.

Being a USAF/Guard pilot was way more fun than the airlines, IMHO. There was a sense of job satisfaction that I got that I never experienced in the airlines. The airlines became more about ME and my family, not others. In fact, I had been out of the USAF for over four years before I even petitioned to get back into the military, via a Guard unit. I missed that type of flying and the sense of mission that came with military aviation. Luckily, I was accepted into a nearby Air Guard unit. Between both the airline and Guard jobs, it did get to be a tremendous challenge to maintain multiple currencies, be an excellent Staff officer, maintain a marriage with a young child, etc.

Upon reflection, my years spent as a military pilot, and the struggle and challenge to both get there and maintain excellence at it, were some of the most satisfying years of my life. I take pride in my service with my brothers and I am beyond grateful for the opportunity that so few people ever get. I tried to always be appreciative and acknowledge that trust granted me.

I have no doubt that today's young men and women in USAF flying squadrons worldwide, share these same "hair on fire" personality traits and strive for excellence daily in their assigned missions. Mine was a peacetime, late Cold War, Air Force immediately after Vietnam ended. Their experience today, is one of over a decade of war and constant deployment. I AM IN AWE of today's young aviators from all US military branches and would go back tomorrow to fly a Reaper or Hawg or C-17, or even a big, gray, metal desk if they needed me. Such is the affinity of the brotherhood...you never lose it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back