Why not use 0W-20 in a diesel engine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So a smaller bearing clearance requires a thicker viscosity oil? I thought that that was the other way around, or am I reading this worng bruce?
dunno.gif

Quote:

So a smaller bearing clearance requires a thicker viscosity oil? I thought that that was the other way around, or am I reading this worng bruce?
dunno.gif

I think what Bruce is saying is that that thinner oils need smaller bearing clearances.

From my experience, yes, smaller diesels need a 40 weight engine oil as much as or even more than a larger Class 8 diesel engine. Many smaller diesel engines are evolutions of gasoline engine designs and horrendously under-bearinged vs. a true clean sheet of paper diesel design.
But yes, same violent explosion whether it is a large or small engine and bearing surface/oil whetted area is the name of the game in diesel engine design and longevity.
George Morrison, STLE CLS

So actual RPM's have something to do with the equation, but not so much as underdesigned bearings, right? Now in the design department, are they to small surface area wise, or isn't there enough meat so to speak on the bearing construction itself that would tend to have the requirement of a 40 weight, instead of a 20 weight oil?

I'm asking all these because I've been wondering about this topic for a while myself, particularly since everything gasoline engine wise, seems to be heading in the direction of thinner based oils for the fuel economy issue. I do realize that diesels are more fuel efficient by design, but I'm sure that there are folks out there that would and will try to squeak out any little bit more that possibly could be had.

Quote:

The biggest single advancement in diesel engine life came about 20 years ago when diesels transitioned from a straight 30W diesel engine oil to 15W040 multi-viscosity oils. On highway class 8 engine life when from around 300,000 miles between overhauls to sometimes approaching 1,000,000 miles without having to change main and connecting rod bearings..
i.e. the affect of having that 40W cushion enabled main and connecting rod bearings to achieve a much lower wear rate.

If I were going to attribute longer engine life across the board to 15w40 oils, I'd say it's more a product of the improved low temp lubrication of 15w40 vs SAE30 (or SAE40). Many fleets used to run SAE40, so those engines should have had longer engine lives vs SAE30 based on your theory.

And yes, those engines that did use 40W did have a longer life except for those engines in the northeast who experienced spun main bearings on cold weather start-up. i.e. the use of 30W in the north/northeast was a happy medium diesel engine oil.
Moreover, the introduction of not only the 40W operational viscosity but also the 15W cold flow characteristics on start-up was a huge operational plus. Very shortly after the widespread use of 15W-40 multiviscosity oils, I stopped seeing crushed connecting rod bearings (30W), scarred and spun main bearings from cold weather operation, scarred and gouged camshafts. i.e. a number of early engine overhaul causes were eliminated and engines began living longer.
In a lubrication engineer's training from day one, it is viscosity, viscosity, viscosity. And in engine oil it is "optimum viscosity"... When maximum engine and component life is the goal.

[censored]... a 40 weight is better than a 30 weight in this case no matter what, because they both will shear, but the 40 weight will be higher in the end, and shear less overall. Except for cold starts, as mentioned... which is wear the most wear takes place in an engine... besides being held at WOT for an hour..

Quote:

And yes, those engines that did use 40W did have a longer life except for those engines in the northeast who experienced spun main bearings on cold weather start-up. i.e. the use of 30W in the north/northeast was a happy medium diesel engine oil.
Moreover, the introduction of not only the 40W operational viscosity but also the 15W cold flow characteristics on start-up was a huge operational plus. Very shortly after the widespread use of 15W-40 multiviscosity oils, I stopped seeing crushed connecting rod bearings (30W), scarred and spun main bearings from cold weather operation, scarred and gouged camshafts. i.e. a number of early engine overhaul causes were eliminated and engines began living longer.
In a lubrication engineer's training from day one, it is viscosity, viscosity, viscosity. And in engine oil it is "optimum viscosity"... When maximum engine and component life is the goal.

Ya can't beat seeing it with your own eyes.

Last edited:
If a 30wt is sheared down some and soot is kept in check, what do you get?
A heavy 20wt.

There is a member running a racing 0w-10, with bypass filtration, super long drains.
So who knows. 5w-30 is in the market, has been for years.
I don't see 5w-20 anytime soon.
But then again most syn oils carry CF ratings.

Harvey

Originally Posted By: Dr. T
After reading the "Why do Euro cars use heavier oils post below" and the mention of diesel engines, I got to wondering: Why don't diesel's use 5-30 or even 0/5-20???

And maybe it's because it's a US grade thusfar...so what is the recommended grade for US diesel cars...eg. E class M-B or diesel Golf/Rabbits???

I have a better question, Why would anyone want to run a 5/20 oil in anything?
There is no benefit to the consumer, its just a novelty. A 5/30 will protect better but granted using either oil grade both engines will last a long time and most likely never know a difference but back to the question.

If a 5/30 protects better why use a 5/20?
Answer - The 5/20 gives an edge to the automobile maker when it comes to the EPA and gas milage, but we are talking fractions to the point, the consumer will never know. If the consumer cared about gas mileage all they would have to do is never exceed the speed limit and would increase their mileage 100s of times more then any 20 grade oil.

20 weight oil is made to satisfy the EPA at little detriment to the engine.

30 weight oil is made to satisfy long engine life at little detriment to the gas mileage.

Last edited:
After reading the "Why do Euro cars use heavier oils post below" and the mention of diesel engines, I got to wondering: Why don't diesel's use 5-30 or even 0/5-20???

And maybe it's because it's a US grade thusfar...so what is the recommended grade for US diesel cars...eg. E class M-B or diesel Golf/Rabbits???

diesels do spec 5w30...

EDIT: [censored], replied to a decade old question...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Jetronic
diesels do spec 5w30...

EDIT: [censored], replied to a decade old question...

That you did, but Imperial Oil did offer a 5w-30 as an Esso XD-3 about that time, and, as you point out, there are 5w-30 diesel oils, both in European passenger vehicles and in big rigs.

I know that no ilsac oil will ever make it into my car or basement...

+ sae grade lower than 30
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: alarmguy

I have a better question, Why would anyone want to run a 5/20 oil in anything?
There is no benefit to the consumer, its just a novelty. A 5/30 will protect better but granted using either oil grade both engines will last a long time and most likely never know a difference but back to the question.

If a 5/30 protects better why use a 5/20?
Answer - The 5/20 gives an edge to the automobile maker when it comes to the EPA and gas milage, but we are talking fractions to the point, the consumer will never know. If the consumer cared about gas mileage all they would have to do is never exceed the speed limit and would increase their mileage 100s of times more then any 20 grade oil.

20 weight oil is made to satisfy the EPA at little detriment to the engine.

30 weight oil is made to satisfy long engine life at little detriment to the gas mileage.

Pretty much everything you said is wrong.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

smile.gif

no, that I wouldn't say... If a 0w-20 or 5w-20 with hths of 2.9 or more existed I will consider it...

no, that I wouldn't say... If a 0w-20 or 5w-20 with hths of 2.9 or more existed I will consider it...

If I could find an SL rated 20W20, I'd be using it also.

Originally Posted By: Kamele0N

smile.gif

I have a Camry which has traveled 300,000 MILES on ILSAC synthetics.

Originally Posted By: teven7492
GEORGECLS there's no such thing as 30w... its SAE-30.
My you're a clever little nit picker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back