Why I LOVE smaller wheels and tires!

Status
Not open for further replies.
NASCAR seems to make 15 inch wheels that work pretty good, but talk about sticker shock! I wish they would bring back some good 15 inch tires, please. 15's with a sidewall can take a beating.

Originally Posted By: threeputtpar
Originally Posted By: dailydriver
^^^True, but you DO pay dearly (coin wise) for those (and most) Oh Zed wheels.

Sadly, for myself, and other 4th gen f body owners, there are almost NO tires still made for our OEM size (245/50-16 or maybe a 255/50-16), base, 16x8 wheel with the proper width and profile.

Even the factory upgraded 17"(x9/9.5) wheel fitting tires are disappearing quickly in the required 275, or 285/40-17 sizes.

So, if I decide to keep this car forever, I may be forced to move up to an 18x10/10.5 wheel, with a 275, 285, or 295/35-18 tire on it.
frown.gif

Have you checked out Coker Tire for those disappearing sizes? I'd agree that if they don't make anything in 245/50r16, then you're screwed.

Like most other parts for this car, this size is considered too old/'dated' for most of the major tire makers, but is still "too new" for the restoration/replacement manufacturers.
frown.gif

Originally Posted By: Traction
NASCAR seems to make 15 inch wheels that work pretty good, but talk about sticker shock! I wish they would bring back some good 15 inch tires, please. 15's with a sidewall can take a beating.

And the racing brake companies also make very effective systems which will fit into those 15" Aero steel wheels, but yes, the costs of them are INSANE!!
eek.gif

Car manufactures spent ton of money to improve gas mileage by 1 MPG incremental every model change over, why didn't they use the smallest wheel diameter such as 14-15" to qualify for best MPG, then have dealer option for larger wheel(s) ?

Since car makers ship the car to dealer with EPA tested equipment, they don't violate anything.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Car manufactures spent ton of money to improve gas mileage by 1 MPG incremental every model change over, why didn't they use the smallest wheel diameter such as 14-15" to qualify for best MPG, then have dealer option for larger wheel(s) ? ........

Because tire SIZE plays only a small role in fuel economy (Rolling Resistance). What plays a LARGE role are things like treadwear and traction - and you have to sacrifice those to get good RR.

So the incentive to use small diameter wheels isn't there. If fact, the use of larger brakes is an incentive to use bigger wheels (and lower profile tires!)

Don't forget pedestrian safety requirements that require higher, blunter (?) hoods, so stylistically you need big fenders so it doesn't look weird. Then big tires to fill that space.

Originally Posted By: CapriRacer
Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Car manufactures spent ton of money to improve gas mileage by 1 MPG incremental every model change over, why didn't they use the smallest wheel diameter such as 14-15" to qualify for best MPG, then have dealer option for larger wheel(s) ? ........

Because tire SIZE plays only a small role in fuel economy (Rolling Resistance). What plays a LARGE role are things like treadwear and traction - and you have to sacrifice those to get good RR.

So the incentive to use small diameter wheels isn't there. If fact, the use of larger brakes is an incentive to use bigger wheels (and lower profile tires!)

I agree, to get better fuel economy out of a tire tread wear and traction are sacrificed.

What I mean is according to C&D test the most fuel economy of the tested vehicle was the OE size, all plus sizes suffered a lost of 1 MPG or more. IF this is true for all vehicles then why not have smallest wheel/tire to get the best EPA rating, and have dealers upgrade to larger wheel/tire at a small cost(few hundreds dollar) ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back