Why I don't have a problem with using FRAM

Status
Not open for further replies.
quote:

Originally posted by Ray H:
My 3rd grade teacher's dad's boss's nephew's niece's grandfather's neighbor's grandaughter's supermarket cashier's dog groomer's beautician's ex-husband's new wife's UFO-abducted department head had a FRAM collapse, too - after he backed over it with the right rear tire. (Well, er, the empty box, anyway. Honest . . .)

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

cheers.gif

Excellent!

quote:

Originally posted by LarryL:
How could Fram be a bad filter, after all, Fram is the official oil filter of NASCAR?

The Nascar Boys don't run this "Retail Consumer Fram". What do THEY use in Fram Oil Filters?

Fram must make a "good", over the counter oil filter, that some of us would buy, yes? What are they? How much $.? They can't only be making junk?

I agree with my fellow OILERS, that I don't use them because of potential failures and other problems. I value my peace of mind over a couple of bucks.
burnout.gif

I used a fram filter last year when they were out of the super-tech. It was about the time I found this site, so I pulled the fram after about 6 weeks and 900 miles. Cut open the filter to see and was glad I got it off my engine. No holes yet but the filter was all distorted. The paper end caps didn't seem to hold the media in place very well. Click links to see for yourself. I also linked my last ecore after 6 months and 5000 miles. I will stick with the ecore.
Fram 3614-1 Fram 2 SuperTech

quote:

The Nascar Boys don't run this "Retail Consumer Fram". What do THEY use in Fram Oil Filters?

Oh, come on, now. You don't think the racers run anything else but the same filter that Fram sells to the general public, do you? ...........naw, tell me it's not true. My heart is broken. I'm going right out to the garage and take the Fram decals off all my cars. In fact, I'm going to stop buying stuff from China, and Mexico, altogether. No more Fords, no more Chevy's, no more Chrysler cars and no Fram filters. That's it. Only stuff mande in America, like a Honda or a Toyota. And no more Wally World, either.

I have used my share of Frams in the past. I never had a problem that I was aware of. But, I knew a guy that had his Fram collapse.

Now, I understand that even if all filters were identical there would be more reports of bad Frams than other brands just because of their higher sales volume.

So, I was left with the question of whether Frams are poorly built or whether my friend's case was a statistical anomoly. I figured, "Why Risk It?" and I only used other brands.

And that was back in the day when Frams were frequently on sale for $2.

Frams are the "BOSE" speakers of oil filters. Lots of hype and marketing for a very average product.

Unless Canadian Tire is giving them away for free when you buy a jug of oil, I won't use them. But, just like the Bose, they are fine for your regular everyday 5000km oil change. For the same money as a Fram, I can buy a superior product from any other filter manufacturer.

Buying a Fram filter is like paying for a steak and getting hamburger.

Why would anyone with an IQ over 10 want an inferior product at a premium price when there so many better alternatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back