Why does the BMW M3 use 10W-60?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Who all makes 10W60 oils? I`ve never seen them for sale anywhere. Are they good oils? Sounds interesting.

Here are the regular US market options of which I'm aware:

- Castrol TWS from a BMW dealership (M engine oil)
- Shell Helix Ultra Racing from a Ferrari dealership (Enzo oil)
- Lubro Moly from some NAPA stores

In Europe, there are a few other options. Castrol has two 10w-60 oils in their new Edge series: one specific to BMW M engines, and one not. I can't remember what the others were, but maybe someone else can chime in.

All of those oils are among the most robust, most stable, and best performing on the market in apps that can use them.

Hi,
BMW and MB (Sauber-Mercedes) and Porsche have a long history of using this wonderful lubricant in their racing cars. This dates back to the early 1980s. It is especially suited to long distance events because of its tolerance of quite high fuel dilution levels

I assisted with the development of this lubricant from its early days in the mid/late 1970s. It was Castor based then and quite expensive of course - it had that beautiful Castor lubricant smell too of course
Around 1980 or so I field tested the various formulations over two or so years in a wide variety of engines (air cooled, light diesel, heavy loaded petrol and etc) in a variety of configurations - 2cy HO, inline and Vee.
We took hundreds of UOAs and the lubricant was always flawless performer
It was possible to get 4000hrs with an oil change in some engines. Most mineral lubricants were changed at a maximum of from 300-500hrs

I used it in some of my private vehicles up until 1995 or their abouts. I sadly commenced using CG SLX 0w-30 then as it was a new release!

Due to its very good low temperature characteristics along with is very high HTHS viscosity it is a very desirable lubricant in the correct application

I believe it to be the best (original) product that Castrol still produces. Well, some of their diesel lubricants are excellent too of course

Regards
Doug

The last UOA I saw posted on here for Castrol 10w60 showed it shearing to a 40 wt rather quickly.

"It was Castor based then and quite expensive of course - it had that beautiful Castor lubricant smell too of course.."

Were you thinking of "sebasic acid esters." Sebasic acid esters are derived from the Castor bean.

Originally Posted By: MolaKule
Were you thinking of "sebasic acid esters." Sebasic acid esters are derived from the Castor bean.

I think they are "sebacic" acid esters.
wink.gif

Hi,
MolaKule - moribundman has corrected the spelling a little but yes I believe you are correct (it's a bit hard to recall 30 years back)

As you are aware Burmah Oil's Castrol racing lubricants were (and still are via BP-Castrol - as Castrol R30 and R40 and certain 2cycle lubes)) based on pre WW2 ester technology
They had extensive "connections" in Germany in the 1930s - and later
The original castor bean based lubricants were unsuitable for prolonged use/storage and had/have exceptional low and high temp "lubricity" characteristics

My family used them extensively in racing motorbikes - BSAs, Nortons, Triumphs, AJS and Matchless - mainly Nortons

Modern technologies have resulted in the likes of their current 10w-60 product. I believe that it started off as a 15w-60 and this was changed early in its development. It was caster based until around 1980 when it grew up to be the forerunner of today's version. I commenced dealing with it around 1977 when it was first imported into OZ from England

Regards
Doug

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Audi Junkie
afaik, from someone who would KNOW, the awesome PTG M3 Racer runs on Syntec 5w-50.

Bmw.jpg

...and the tough to beat (particularly by Porsches) M3 GTR V8 rolls out the Motorsport Division door with TWS 10w-60. Castrol wins again (and again, and again...)

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Who all makes 10W60 oils? I`ve never seen them for sale anywhere. Are they good oils? Sounds interesting.

In Europe Valvoline sells VR1 Racing, which is not expensive at all, BTW. It's only a little bit more expensive than the Maxlife Synthetic that I use. Please see here: VR1 Racing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back