Why Does Honda Frown on Synthetic Oil for my Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:

I have just purchased a Honda Civic Si an 06 with 20K in miles. I asked the dealer about changing over to synthetic as I have run Mobil One on all of my Audis with good results. The dealer stated that Honda does not recommend synthetic il for this engine, somehting to do with the v-tec.

Can you fine folks give me the straight skinny on this. I would like to make the change if it has merit.

What is the story??

The dealer is not Honda Besides syn isn't recommended or needed in Hondas.Look at the uoa's

Quote:

Quote:

No need for expensive synthetic in a Honda that will last 300K miles with the cheapest dino.

Why go 300k when you can go 600k?!
laugh.gif

What proof !!!

OT -

It must of been 8 yrs ago or so when I saw a green NSX at a small shopping center near me. The driver appearently was talking to some people that walked-up to him as he was parking. Looked nice, though it wasn't up close. Can't recall if the plates were in state or not. Have seen some interesting cars from time to time from our neighbors up north (Canada), otherwise Porsche, Ferrari and custom hot rods that come through in the fall are as exotic as I've seen around here.

Take care.

1. Honda wants to make money by selling you their oil and or letting them do the oil changes.

2. You don't need synthetic oil unless you are extending drian intervals, which can be risky based on all the UOA's I've seen. So it's a liability issue while under warranty.

I used the Amsoil MTF simply bc I want to go longer in between having the trans fluid drained. Thats it.

Quote:

We bought a Acura Rsx-Base in 2004 and the dealer told us that it was ok to use synthetic oil.

We have used amsoil xl7500 5w-20 and mobil-1 5w-20 with no problems.

Ditto. Running PP 5w-20 in an '02 RSX. Have also used M1. I go 10K between changes just like the manual says and pay no attention to the OLM. While it is certainly not necessary to run synthetic oil in these low wearing Honda motors for someone to discourage the use of synthetic oils, especially doing extended drains, is wrong.

Love the new Civics, good lookin' car.

The only car I'm aware of where the MANUFACTURER advises against the use of synthetic oil is the Mazda RX-8 - because the rotary engine is designed to consume oil. I've heard some pretty strange stuff come out of the mouths of service advisors, and this is just another example.

Put syn in your Civic...it will love it.

Thanks everyone for their input!!! I just wanted to chime in as the service advisor did not say it was a blanket no synthetic in the honda's. He said it is not advised in MY Civic SI engine.something to do with the VTEC...he said is why they do not recommend snythetic in this engine.

Time to find another dealer as pointed out earlier. Better yet, just don't go to the dealer again. Best yet, learn to work on your car yourself.

If it had been me, I would have put him on the spot and made him tell me WHAT about V-TEC doesn't like syn. It's like saying "No carnauba wax on metallic paint. Non-metallic paint is fine..but don't wax metallic paint." It's a general statement not backed up with any facts.

Quote:

Just a funny note...the owners manual said synthetic is fine..

And does it state that if you run syn that you can extend your oil changes?
confused.gif

The bottom line (the UOAs show it) that if you follow the OLM or follow the OCI recommended for your driving, in a Honda your engine is going to last a long long time with ANY SL/SM oil. Conventional or syn .
approved.gif

(I told that to my dad when he bought his Honda in 2001... a year later, new long block @ 14k...
smirk.gif
)
dunno.gif

But running syn or conventional would not have fixed that Honda engine...
crushedcar.gif

Take care, Bill
patriot.gif

Quote:

Hey ThirdeYe,have you ever driven an Acura NSX? Man,I bet those cars ROCK!!!!!!!!!!! I never even see those any more. They must be very rare!

Saw a silver one yesterday.

Gorgeous car, wimpy horn
laugh.gif

I don't have an Si, but I have the EX with the R18. My manual says to run a high quality oil with the starburst symbol on it. It doesn't even state SL, SM, etc. It says that syn can be used, but isn't necessary, and if you feel you must use syn make sure it has the starburst symbol as well. It also says to follow the OLM no matter what oil you use.

I'm running syn now since I got a bunch of Havoline syn at Biglots, but will probably switch to Pennzoil dino after that.

Quote:

I don't have an Si, but I have the EX with the R18. My manual says to run a high quality oil with the starburst symbol on it. It doesn't even state SL, SM, etc. It says that syn can be used, but isn't necessary, and if you feel you must use syn make sure it has the starburst symbol as well. It also says to follow the OLM no matter what oil you use.

I'm running syn now since I got a bunch of Havoline syn at Biglots, but will probably switch to Pennzoil dino after that.

What does the starburst symbol represent??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back