Why do they keep coming out with new fuse designs?

Fuses have gotten stupid. In the past you could look at one and see if it was blown. Now they are making the plastic hazy so you can't see it.

Got a 21 f350 at work with yet another fuse design.. the fuse box is behind the battery. Can't get to the fuses with the battery installed. Pull the battery and you can't ( easily) test the fuses with a test light.

Why!

I ask myself the same question all the time.....Once they moved away from glass fuses which were terrible on so many levels to ATC, ATM Mini, & Maxi Fuse everything was good.
Then it all went downhill starting with the J-case Fuses.....Sure it's a smaller footprint but still a PITA to test if you don't have a good line of sight on them.
I guess engineers need to stay busy doing something?

These are what's in the new Ford as well as those big square ones with the cloudy cover. Only way to test these is to pull each one and ohm them.

Micro2 Fuses Automotive - 105pcs ATR Blade Fuse Kit Assortment 5A 7.5A 10A 15A 20A 25A 30A for Car, Boat, RV, Trike, SUV Replacement https://a.co/d/2WFA7CY

Fuses have gotten stupid. In the past you could look at one and see if it was blown. Now they are making the plastic hazy so you can't see it.

Got a 21 f350 at work with yet another fuse design.. the fuse box is behind the battery. Can't get to the fuses with the battery installed. Pull the battery and you can't ( easily) test the fuses with a test light.

Why!
$$$$$

IMO this was the best fuse design ever. You could tell whether they were blown simply by looking at them!

Scott

ceramic-16a.jpg

They do it to bring in the business to the dealership. The harder it is to work on the more work they get. Just like getting rid of the transmission dip stick.

The above fuse looks like my old VW and Porsche fuses. You can tell with a glance if it is bad. Ed
My father in law's old Mercedes had fuses like that . That was the first time I ever saw one .

Back