Why America is anti-metric

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one thing I've never understood is tire sizes, where you have the tire's width measured in millimeters, but the wheel's diameter measured in inches.

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
The one thing I've never understood is tire sizes, where you have the tire's width measured in millimeters, but the wheel's diameter measured in inches.

that was a car talk puzzler @ one time; it appears Europe has not completely converted either; so an argument really comes down to the 'degree' people have abandoned the "English units" lol

I find it interesting that almost no one is engaging with the actual argument in the article QP posted.

I think it's an interesting take on the matter. Hadn't thought about how intuitive it is to keep dividing things into halves and threes. I do think metric is better in the final analysis; dividing by 10 or 1000 is annoying, but not nearly so annoying as dividing by 12 or 1760. But now I see another side of the matter.

I like the metric system. But temperature scales is another story. Farenheit rules king there.

Temp is the one thing that I think is LESS intuitive in non-metric.

100º C is the boiling point of water at sea level. 0º C is the freezing point at sea level.

For outside temps:

30º is hot
20º is nice
10º is cold
0º is ice

Makes sense!

Originally Posted By: SHOZ
I like the metric system. But temperature scales is another story. Farenheit rules king there.

What is so special about Fahrenheit scale?

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

More graduations. The Celsius scale is too grainy.

About 2.5 times more precise.

804.672 Kilometers Away From Home.......It just doesn't work!
27.gif

Hope everyone is enjoying the weekend.

Originally Posted By: turtlevette

Have you heard of a decimal point? You can use .5 if you really want to, but I'm not really sure it's needed in daily life. Can your body really tell a difference between 80 and 81 degrees F, for example?

Quote:

How did you calculate this?

Have you heard of a decimal point? You can use .5 if you really want to, but I'm not really sure it's needed in daily life. Can your body really tell a difference between 80 and 81 degrees F, for example?

Quote:

(212-32)/(100-0)= 1.8

That's pretty close to 2.5

Seems like a high price to pay when everything else is worse, the translation to Kelvin doesn't make sense, etc.
21.gif

re the "folding things by 10" argument, when the system is 10 based, it's simple moving a decimal point.

If you need to visualise folding things two or three times, then you will need that under any system.

Got something 140mm long, a tenth is 14, a fifth is 28, 3/10 is 42, etc. etc. Most primary school kids can do that with centimetres, a lesser number with millimetres.

Originally Posted By: Al
Originally Posted By: Leo99

(212-32)/(100-0)= 1.8

lol

Ain't it what ???

But then we go to l/100km, which I don't like at all.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

I think there's three types.

Those who have sent stuff to the moon and use metric

Or maybe 4

Those who have run stuff into celestial bodies because they get confused sometimes.

Originally Posted By: Pop_Rivit

The apollo computer system used metric units internally though...
only the displays were in US units.

Originally Posted By: Leo99
SHOZ said:

Quote:

(212-32)/(100-0)= 1.8

Oops. I added 32. You get a gold star. I'm hardly ever wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back