Who uses a motive pressure brake bleeder?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at getting a motive power brake bleeder & wondered how people that had them like them. What are the good & bad points, are they hard to get a good seal on the MC? Model I am looking at is the professional deluxe since it has all the different adapters for present & future vehicles. Been using a mityvac silverline with the 4oz cup it came with, the powerbleeder has to be better.

I have two--one for domestics and one for my BMWs. The BMW one works really well because the master cylinder reservoir uses a screw on cap. I suction out as much fluid as possible from the reservoir, put new fluid in and then use the Motive.

The one for domestics is a little more difficult to work because instead of a screw-on cap, you tighten the cap down via a chain that goes around the master cylinder valve body onto a set of hooks with screw threads at the cap. If you don't fasten properly, you make a mess as the pressurized brake fluid leaks out. Once you get the hang of it, no problem. I can't see going back to a two person operation for bleeding the brakes.

Tried to use the Universal model of Motive Products pressure bleeder. Got the chain and cap version. Cap bends very easily. No seal achieved. Not able to get it to seal on any master cylinder reservoir. Tried it on 5 cars. Did not work at all. Even got an extra gasket from Motive Products. No go. I vote no.

I've got one that I use on new domestic and imports. Works great on anything that has a "screw on" cap, whether it be threads or a two or three tang style. The motive cap type cap for the older MC's don't work that well. I just bought a replacement lid and brazed a fitting for use on the older Fords and Chevys. For the price it's a good product. I have several other types of pressure bleeders, all were more expensive. The only benefit to the others is I think there duty cycle is higher, we never had a problem when they were used in the shop.

I have one and had a problem with the sealing as described above. The solution (cheap) was to cut a cork insert as a foolproof gasket and no more problems, seals just fine.

SteveU,

What kind of vehicle is it for? I have a Toyota Tundra and mine works very well and was almost too easy. I have 5 bleed points and it made it a breeze. I plan to get one for my Odyssey.

One tip (if you haven't heard it already) is to use a different color fluid when changing. I used ATE super blue fluid this time so I could see when all the yellow fluid was purged. Worked great (I will just use a yellow fluid next time).

cheers.gif

Lou,
I have 2 93 corolla wagons, a 95 geo metro, & an 84 dodge ram PU that I would be doing along with any future vehicles I'd own. Also do a little work on the side for other people which is the reason I'd want to get the one with the most adapters so I wouldn't have to buy them individually at higher cost. The mityvac with the 4oz bottle works but it is slow & the bottle has to be emptied several times per wheel which is a pain when you're under a car on ramps & jackstands.

I have one and I love it. If available, get the custom fittings to adapt to your vehicles. The european cars have this right as they almost all use the same thread. I've used the chain type adapter as well and it is a little fiddly, but I've been able to get it to work fine on everything from Ford trucks to modern Hondas.

For the money it is a bargain. Don't leave your fluid in the reservoir though. It is exposed to air, and air is bad for brake fluid.

I have the Euro car cap and the universal cap with the chains. I made a silicon rubber gasket for both caps to help with leakage.

For the price the Motive bleeder is a good buy. It's kind of cheaply made but still a valuable tool for the DIY'er.

We have one. It works great when the model line-specific caps are used.

BTW, you don't have to fill the Motive up with fluid for a good pressure bleed. Air pressure alone will do it, provided you keep an eye on the master cylinder reservoir level. It's much cleaner to use that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back