Who still gets rotors cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: pottymouth
Where do you get them cut and how much do you pay per rotor? I know some people just change rotors every time but that is wasteful when the existing rotors are in very good shape. Others just throw new pads on without touching the rotors. Not me. I just want a fresh surface for the new pads to bed into.

Seems like its getting harder and harder to find a shop that will do this for a walk-in customer.

When I bought my 01 Cherokee last year, it had a really noticeable brake shudder. Popped the rotors off, dropped at the machine shop around the corner, an hour and $20 later (plus new pads) had no more brake shudder.

I consider it foolish to replace rotors EVERY brake job. Just about the time the iron gets plenty of heat cycles on it and is fully stress-relieved and ready to be machined flat... you throw it away? Silly.

I've always been a 1 car household so it is never an option to get the rotors turned. Rotors are ~$40-$50 for Brembo blanks new, so for an extra $50 (assuming $25/rotor to turn - im in Chicago, nothings cheap!), it's not that big of a deal over 80-100k miles.

I cut rotors once then replace next time. Even tho I think its easier just to replace then waiting a 45min for them to be cut. I charge 15 per rotor to cut if u bring them in at my shop. 35 per rotor if we have to rack it and take off the tire,caliper ,pads.

Since every rotor is supposed to be marked with a minimum thickness it's a no brainer. As long as there's enough to cut, keep 'em.

We routinely reuse old rotors with only an inspection which includes a measurement. By far most are reusable.

keep in mind that a tired old brake lathe with a poorly trained man on it is a recipe for introducing problems. The quality of the cut and finish are critical.

Some rotors are large and beefy enough to cut.
But most cars now use smaller ones, and it is really best to replace them. The costs can often be a wash.

We also have to consider the internal rust of the rotor vents, which will unbalance and warp things further.

I have problems with warping and go through two or three sets of rotors per pad set, I will sometimes get OE rotors cut once which will get me another 8-10K out of them for about $15 a corner.

I had my DBA rotors cut once, but they had to be done on a flywheel surfacing maching and they didn't last very long after that. They warped quickly the first time and warped quickly after being cut.

most of the time I just replace them and put the old pads back on. There are rarely any grooves, just measureable warp and/or cracks.

The problem is that I spend more time with warped rotors than I do with smooth brakes.

Last edited:
Just buy new ones....they are so cheap these days and you can save the Earth by throwing the old ones in the recycle bin. Just make sure you buy from a quality source like ATE, Napa, etc.

i still dont know what to do with this situation.

So far ive never found a shop willing to cut rotors for me that i bring in. finally found one like last month but never had a chance to use them.

They want $15 per rotor. Most of the rotors i've encountered cost about $33-60 each. Pair that up with current 40% off AAP, thats about $30-40 a rotor.

So far if its been clean and smooth, i didn't bother cutting and others its gone metal to metal and no point in cutting, just got new ones.

That being said i have about 12-16 rotors in the garage...

I cut my own rotors and brothers discs for nothing at my work. I punch out from work, then cut the rotors; and yes it is nice to not have to pay to do this!

have a great weekend guys,

adam

With my previous vehicle, 2006 Impala, my shop turned the rotors a couple of times. Seemed to work. did not get the immediate "chatter" that the old Ford Taurus' seemed to want to do.

I remember when Adv Auto use to cut them for $7 each. Lol, I'm not that old either. Lately I've taken mine to a local mechanic who has equipment on site to do the work. He charges $10 each. I've got some cross drilled ones he won't do but the napa takes them and charges $15 each.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
When I bought my 01 Cherokee last year, it had a really noticeable brake shudder. Popped the rotors off, dropped at the machine shop around the corner, an hour and $20 later (plus new pads) had no more brake shudder.

I consider it foolish to replace rotors EVERY brake job. Just about the time the iron gets plenty of heat cycles on it and is fully stress-relieved and ready to be machined flat... you throw it away? Silly.

Agreed. Whenever I do a brake job I have the rotors turned if the rotor has enough material left (they usually do), a local parts store charges me about $30 for all 4 rotors.

The last time I checked Pep Boys does it for about $12 but you usually have to leave it there for the day. Not worth it when some new ones are $15 to $20. Plus if they are warped and you cut them, they will be smooth for a while but the warping usually returns.

I bought an '04 WRX STi a few years back with 20,000 miles and the front pads were metal to metal and the rotors were well scored because of it. I priced new ones (Brembos) and they were like $350 each and only available from the dealer. I took them to PBs but they said there were too far gone to turn. Then I took them to a machine shop who would do it for $20 each and they came out great but he had to cut them a little too much and technically wouldn't be legal by just a hair but to save $600 I could live with that since I wasn't going to drive it hard anyway.

Originally Posted By: atikovi
The last time I checked Pep Boys does it for about $12 but you usually have to leave it there for the day. Not worth it when some new ones are $15 to $20. Plus if they are warped and you cut them, they will be smooth for a while but the warping usually returns.

Not necessarily. On my F150 the original rotors/pads lasted almost 120,000 miles, but the rear rotors were pretty warped.

I had the rotors turned and almost 50,000 miles later the brakes are still as smooth as can be.

New car, first brake job, I always try to get the OEM rotors turned.
O'Reillys for $15 and the work is good.
Merrionette Park for the Chicago crowd.

Last edited:
What's really sad is how many here still think that iron rotors are warped when they really just have pad deposits.

This is for all the people who experience all the repeated rotor problems!

uh.... I've cut a lot of material off of rotors before just to get them smooth(sometimes a few passes)...... and its all magnetic particles comming off the rotor from the bits...... I.E. iron

I'm not very certain that most rotor pulsation problems are JUST pad deposits....

Last edited:
Iron warps and cracks and.... Not saying that 'pad deposits' aren't an issue, but will tell that it is definitely over hyped on the internet.

I've measured and had to cut many 'brand-new' rotors too. So, just because you got those cheap new commie or illegal alien rotors, doesn't mean that they are any better than what is on the car, or what a quality tech can cut on a machine with a used rotor.

My biggest issue with rotor cutting is that NO ONE EVEN KNOWS WHAT A PROFILOMETER IS! Rotor cutting speed and tool bit edge can be woefully incorrect and the cut rotor can 'look' perfect, when it isn't.

If you know what your minimum spec is, and how to use a micrometer/profilometer, there is NOTHING WRONG with cutting and reusing a good rotor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back