Who runs a 20wt here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
They have 3 different size filters and then there is the standard filter which is the first stage. Depending on the size used and what was changed yes 3-4 quarts on top of whatever the sump capacity is.

Well that is a rather large filter.... My step father's Ford 250 had a filter that took up to 2 qts... It was a regular spin on. It was massive
smile.gif

Yeah the largest of the Bypass filter you can run is quite long. I think it's 12" in legth if I remember correctly. This picture shows all the sizes available. The one on the far left is the smallest with a standard filter as well for stage 1. (Bypass is always stage 2 filtering where it siphons off 10% of the oil going through the standard filter to fine filter it while keeping the other 90% going back to the engine so it doesn't starve)

[Linked Image]

Last edited:
Originally Posted by StevieC
Who runs a 20wt here. What have your experiences been with it? Taking a poll.

I've been using it whenever the OEM call for it. Using Amsoil SS 5W-20 on my '06 Stratus. Looking inside the valve cover it still looks as clean and shiny as brand new.

But here's a true story. In 1965 my Dad took delivery on a new Bonneville with a 389. 10w40 was the recommened oil. He did a lot of long interstate driving in HOT weather. The multi-vis didn't hold up. The engine developed valve train issues under 20,000 miles. I was just 11-12 years old, but I heard my dad say that he was told the oil "broke down". Anyway, the dealer switched him to 20W-20. They called it straight weight but I remember it was 20W-20. (Yeah I know it's multi-vis too, but I don't think anyone outside the oil engineers understood it in those days). They told him it was straight weight 20. Anyway, he went on to drive it to over 180,000 miles with no problems at all, and I clearly remember him remarking that it still only used a quart every 3000 miles (which was when he changed). This was pretty remarkable in those days especially considering that "normal" oil consumption on most new engines was half that.

So when anyone tells me that 20 weight is too light, I recount this story.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by jetmech1
Who runs a 20wt here. What have your experiences been with it? Taking a poll.

I've been using it whenever the OEM call for it. Using Amsoil SS 5W-20 on my '06 Stratus. Looking inside the valve cover it still looks as clean and shiny as brand new.

But here's a true story. In 1965 my Dad took delivery on a new Bonneville with a 389. 10w40 was the recommened oil. He did a lot of long interstate driving in HOT weather. The multi-vis didn't hold up. The engine developed valve train issues under 20,000 miles. I was just 11-12 years old, but I heard my dad say that he was told the oil "broke down". Anyway, the dealer switched him to 20W-20. They called it straight weight but I remember it was 20W-20. (Yeah I know it's multi-vis too, but I don't think anyone outside the oil engineers understood it in those days). They told him it was straight weight 20. Anyway, he went on to drive it to over 180,000 miles with no problems at all, and I clearly remember him remarking that it still only used a quart every 3000 miles (which was when he changed). This was pretty remarkable in those days especially considering that "normal" oil consumption on most new engines was half that.

So when anyone tells me that 20 weight is too light, I recount this story.

Interesting story jetmech1. Thanks for sharing.

Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
Originally Posted by Nickdfresh
If you use it, you'll increase your wear for the benefit of added fuel economy! So says some Honda people in the 1990's and the ear of 5W-20 SJ oils. Maybe they were all Speeddating with Ross Jefferies and his NLP systems?
smile.gif

Or perhaps the engineering wasn't up to the task for a 20wt. Like oil cooling, bearing / ring materials and engineering etc.

Firstly, it sounds like some speculative internal document made out as some sort of smoking gun. At some point, I might just show off my once worthless but now valuable Quaker State Lubrication Guide for the period of 1987-1996 (IIRC). In it, it is said that "5W-30 in not recommended for sustained high-speed driving". That was also dated circa the 1980s, much like a lot of the selectively culled opinions posed here as fact and "science"...

https://www.hondarandd.jp/

Published research papers mate, so you can stop your pontificating on where Honda said what, and in what context...Unlike the "made up" facts that many here espouse.

BTW, my sister just completes a masters in psychology...they teach them NLP...just saying.

You can go back to your $hitbagging me now....

I will be running the three viscosity recommended in my KIA owner's manual until i settle on one. 5w20, 5w30 and 10w30 are the recommended three, with 5w20 also on the fill cap. I will most undoubtedly settle back on 5w20 for the long haul.

My previous 2.4L Thetta II engines (two others) ran exceedingly well on the 5w20. I never noticed excessive noise as some others have mentioned or high wear numbers on the few UOA performed. But I'm sure they all work just fine. My butt dyno just keeps telling me the engine feels more responsive with the xw20 in there...very scientific, i know. Lol

Last edited:
Been running 0w20 since I went to Toyota in 2012.. Are you just taking census or is this going to turn to a water weight bash on 20?

No problem ever on 0W20 not really much else to say.

Last edited:
NLP sounds devious, just like what Google has been found to be doing.

Engineers will have opinions just like anyone else.

My 2012 Honda Accord specs 0w20 only, and I use PPPP 0w20. No issues, smooth quiet operation.

Originally Posted by PimTac
NLP sounds devious, just like what Google has been found to be doing.

Engineers will have opinions just like anyone else.

I would insert "ridiculous" over devious. I'm not sure about the Google comparison because whatever you think of Google, it's free (in the relative sense) and some a hole isn't trying to pick apart your wallet with cultish aspiration, at least not in the short-term....

Originally Posted by Nick1994
No way Jose.

You and the Texans get a pass because of the insanely hot summers you have. Even I would be running a 30. I wouldn't hesitate to run a 20 in the off season though.

My sis lives in Phoenix and drives a new Camry, using 0W-16. They get it changed at the dealership every 10K miles and like their previous Camry that reached over 200k miles on 0w20 (always dealer serviced), they aren't worried.

I inquired with them since i purchased my KIA and contemplated strictly running 10w30 because of the Miami heat. I doubt i need to worry.

Originally Posted by wemay
My sis lives in Phoenix and drives a new Camry, using 0W-16. They get it changed at the dealership every 10K miles and like their previous Camry that reached over 200k miles on 0w20 (always dealer serviced), they aren't worried.

I inquired with them since i purchased my KIA and contemplated strictly running 10w30 because of the Miami heat. I doubt i need to worry.

How come the owners manual for my car in the UK and Australia, with the same engine, show this?

Maybe because the steering wheel is on the right side?

3014C4A1-9A6B-49ED-8BB1-8743AA8E6C8A.jpeg

Originally Posted by Oildudeny
Been running 0w20 since I went to Toyota in 2012.. Are you just taking census or is this going to turn to a water weight bash on 20?

No problem ever on 0W20 not really much else to say.

Oh so it's a thick 20 then? Paging: OVERKILL
lol.gif

Originally Posted by wemay

Thanks for sharing.
thumbsup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back