Who Can Cut My Oil Filter Open

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2004 Mercury Marauder that now has 26,000 miles on it.

I started a Maintenance Dose of auto-rx at 15,000 miles and when I changed the oil at 20,000 miles the oil filter felt heavy, even after draining the oil out.

I added another maintenance dose of auto-rx and when I changed the oil at 25,000 miles the oil filter was very heavy.

I am now doing a Clean and Rinse, I can cut open the oil filter, but I really do not know what I am looking at. I saved this last oil filter, and I was wondering if I mailed it too someone who knows what they are looking at, they can tell me what they think.

I had a member on here a month ago who was willing to do this, but he has not responded back.

Why not post a picture...... You can then get dozens of opinions.
grin2.gif

Man, if I lived closer I'd bring over my chain saw and we'd cut that bad boy open
grin2.gif

The toughest part would be trying to hold it down while I cut it, but I'm sure you'd think of something
thumbsup2.gif

Seriously, just use a hacksaw and then post some pics for us to see. I see others do that quite often, and then disregard the obvious metal shavings. I'll bet others could give you an accurate evaluation just by viewing the pictures.

Where's R2D2 when you need him?
grin2.gif

If you guys want a picture, we can do that, but is that the same thing as someone looking real close at it.

Originally Posted By: c3po
If you guys want a picture, we can do that, but is that the same thing as someone looking real close at it.

Well, the thing is that not many people would really be able to properly evaluate your filter, unless they had access to a lab and the experience to know what they were doing.

Do we really want/need to see another picture of a mucked up filter? Honestly, not really. But don't let that stop you from posting them, if you feel the need to share.

I have a 2004 Mercury Marauder that now has 26,000 miles on it..

Given the age, low mileage and great nature of these engines, there isn't anything in that filter aside from normal oil soaked media.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
I have a 2004 Mercury Marauder that now has 26,000 miles on it..

Given the age, low mileage and great nature of these engines, there isn't anything in that filter aside from normal oil soaked media.

Joel

Does this mean the reason that it is heavy after I drained the oil filter because of junk that auto-rx sent to the filter.

My thoughts are you couldn't possibly have any junk in such a young engine. It's just a normal oil soaked used oil filter. I'd zip it open for you in a matter of a minute with my handy-dandy little oil filter opener if I could.

Joel

Originally Posted By: JTK
My thoughts are you couldn't possibly have any junk in such a young engine. It's just a normal oil soaked used oil filter. I'd zip it open for you in a matter of a minute with my handy-dandy little oil filter opener if I could.

Joel

If this is a normal oil soaked filter could this be because it is an Amsoil EaO Oil Filter that traps more stuff than a cheaper oil filter.

If this is the case, then this should be considered normal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back