Which US state license plate design has been around the longest?

I'm noticing that states are issuing new plates a lot more often than they used to, probably largely due to lower manufacturing costs (the cheap printed flat plates).

Any idea what the longest running normal passenger plate style is? I think minor changes like font, spacing etc. could be considered the same design, as long as the entire look of the plate hasn't changed.

Couple that come to mind for me is Vermont and California... anyone know?

Not sure, but Alaska's basic plate has not changed in over 20 years. Alaska does offer "vanity" plates, many which are recent runs, but the basic plate from Alaska is decades old.

A quick Google says Delaware.
I wish the USA would be like the UK and allow your choice of a Euro or USA format.

Digital license plates are in and coming to some states as an option.

Not sure exactly. I’m a nerd on license plates though lol. Virginias current style that displays Virginia is for Lovers at the bottom was released in March 2014. Before that the standard white plates with nothing at the bottom were released with that design in 1992 beginning with the Z series and currently we have made it down to T skipped Q as they don’t issue plates with Q unless they are custom because law enforcement has confused Q for O or 0 before in a hurry. We also had J, K and L series plates made the L is very rare. They were for the 1607-2007 400th anniversary of Jamestown. I believe they were issued from 03-07 to 08 maybe. The ones before that were also solid white with only 6.5 digits instead of 7.5. Released in 1974 as everything before that was Year of Manufacturer. So Virginia has always had a solid white plate for their standard ones just the number letter combinations have changed. Also the Virginia fonts have changed over time as well. Sorry I’m a bit of a nerd and I collect license plates and like to research them. I mainly have VA plates being from Virginia though we have no standard ones anymore all those are on my wall or in my collection we can’t stand the Virginia is for Lovers saying. All of our cars have specialty plates. Fun facts I know this is about standard plates but our first two special design license plates were also issued in 1992 one being the scenic mountain to seashore license plates which I have on my truck and the other being the Heritage State Bird license plate with the cardinal sitting on a dogwood tree. Both still issued today. A few years ago some news companies were reporting the DMV was upset because they had been the leading plates under the standard issue ones since their release and the Don’t Tread On Me and a few others were past them now. We have over 250 special design plates and unfortunately I still see tons of regular ones I used to see multiples of special and regular plates but in the last year or so I’ve been seeing more and more of the ugly white standard plates. We last displayed a standard plate in 2019 on our van then ordered the Robert E. Lee license plates to replace the regular ones.

Vermont green plate has been around since the early 90s. MA standard red white and blue since the early 90s. Current NH “old man” plate has been around since the late 90s.

Last edited:
OP, you may have to qualify what "same plate design" equals. Here are two Alaska standard/ default plates. They are different designs, to include the size of the stars on the flag. But a casual look- the plates look the same.
Alaska_2020_License_Plate.jpg
300px-2007_Alaska_License_Plate.jpg

Massachusetts has their "Green plate" that goes back to 1978. When they switched to red plates in 1992 they introduced a front plate, which many hated. You can't get a new green plate so they're status symbols.

The Delaware plates mentioned go back to the 1940s but the state's re-popping them. Same with California's new black plates.

15q.net is a nice internet black hole on the subject.

Minnesota's basic plate has essentially been the same since 1978. There have been a few tweaks along the way, but its the same design.

Boreal forest with a canoe on a lake on top, 10,000 lakes on the bottom. They added the shape of Minnesota in the middle sometime in the 80's. The blue border went from a sharp cutoff to a fade. Added the words "Explore" in front of Minnesota at one point and ".com" after Minnesota later. Changed the letters from stamped and blue to printed and black.

But overall its the same design. A couple of examples from my old plates out in the garage...

Attachments

• 20221103_204221.jpg
    20221103_204221.jpg
    145.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 20221103_204205.jpg
    20221103_204205.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 12
OP, you may have to qualify what "same plate design" equals. Here are two Alaska standard/ default plates. They are different designs, to include the size of the stars on the flag. But a casual look- the plates look the same.
View attachment 124437View attachment 124438
I'd say no major changes qualifies (like font color, transition to flat plates, etc.), I'm thinking more like complete redesigns. So the Alaska and MN examples certainly qualify.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
My favorite was the old brown Arizona plates. I still see them occasionally.
Yeah they're pretty rare these days.

This was one of my grandparent's. AZ used to give out 2 plates just for the heck of it, so the 2nd one probably was left on a car that was sold in the 90's.

Sorry @AutoMechanic this one won't be with the others I send lol.

9268769D-D4C2-4E66-8DA6-CAB430C1D9D7.jpeg

Wisconsin seems to be a contender. It seems to have had the same basic design since 1986/1987 (says a quick Wikipedia search). The numeral colors have changed (from red to black), and the now-red state name and “America’s Dairyland” slogan used to be blue, but those are relatively minor changes. The design fonts are even very similar or identical (italicized Arial, I think, though the new one has slightly larger text). The farm/sun/sailboat graphic has survived, and it’s still an embossed plate. The last few years brought a fourth numeric digit, but other than those small changes I’d say it’s essentially the same plate as it was in the 80s (it qualifies for the spirit of being the same, in my opinion). Other than the addition of the fourth numeric digit, it’s unchanged since 2000.

(See two Wikipedia screenshots - current series and a 1987 plate.)

Screen Shot 2022-11-03 at 10.58.52 PM.pngScreen Shot 2022-11-03 at 10.59.08 PM.pnghttps://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Wisconsin

Last edited:
When I lived in Delaware they were reissuing some numbers below a certain number, amd then you could reissue a non-traditional black porcelain plate that dates back far. It is a 1942 style.

But the standard Delaware plate itself is the same as far as I remember. It is consistent,y the same plate dating back to 1962, with the screening approach being the only change. Virginia white and standard NC plates seem to never change either.

But I vote Delaware - same since 1962.

Back