Which Tire and Who Has Best Pricing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Need new shoes for my 2011 Corolla.
They are 195/65/15's

This site has helped narrow my choices to either the General Altimax RT43 or Cooper CS5 Grand Touring.

However, I would also consider Kuhno Solus TA11 or the Dunlop Signature 2.

What do you guys recommend and why?

Also, where would I find brat pricing? Does anyone know if Discount Tire (in store, not DTD) price matches Tire Rack?

A couple times per year most of the tire mfg offer $50-$70 rebates on a set of 4. Whatever tire price you get on line you should be able to get a local national tire store to meet it. Then you can avoid the $50-$65 tire shipping cost.

I did my tires last year and found that BJ's had the best price among the dozen or so retailers and discount houses I checked. They easily beat all the on-line discount tire companies. I got Town Fair Tire to beat that price (tires are stocked) and then they installed them. The $70 Michelin rebate didn't hurt either. BJ's didn't offer an alignment and I know the car needed one.

Either the Cooper or General are a good choice. Discount Tire will be very competitive on price, plus the added convenience of free rotation and balancing. I have found them to be excellent when it comes to warranty support as well.

Continental Pure Contact Eco Plus and Continental Pure Contact are both top rated by Consumer Reports, in the "all season" category that is. A friend of mine just chose those the Eco Plus' over the Cooper CS5's. How much snow in your area? And I can't answer for how C.R. will rate the CS5's, but the CS4's were middle ground and not a CR pick.

Originally Posted By: farmin68
Does anyone know if Discount Tire (in store, not DTD) price matches Tire Rack?

DT and TR pricing is apples to oranges. TR pricing does not include shipping nor install charges. So DT might match it, but only after accounting for these differences.

I'm looking at some of the same tires myself. Dunlop Signature 2 and the Altimax RT43 are looking like the ones I have narrowed it down to. Tirebuyer.com has the best prices I have found once shipping is considered. They ship for free to any of their preferred installers.

I'm very happy with my General RT43s. I've had them for a little over a month and 2,700 miles and they're very smooth and quiet. Handling isn't quite like a Ferrari, but it's a Camry so it doesn't bother me.

DT(AT in So Cal) does price match. I search for lowest delivered price(either with shipping and/or tax) then print a copy and went to local AT for price match.

The best time to buy tire at DT is on major holidays, they usually have good rebate and using their credit card will give you more rebate. Try the brand(s) that has rebate during those holidays will give the best possible ptrice.

Bought a set CS5 Ultra Touring 235/45-17 W-rated installed for about $500, after 3 rebates the cost went down to $310(before prorate for previous set Kumho 4X of $150). So my final cost was about $160.

welcome2.gif

I like Dunlop tires, so out of those, my choice would be the Dunlop Signature II

For Kumho, you should consider the TA71. There is a $100 rebate through the end of the month.

Sometimes Discount matches TR, sometimes they don't. Also, you have to factor in Tire Rack's shipping charge.

Walmart has good prices, too.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
DTD Black Friday sale with rebates if you can wait.

Yup, this. I got a set of four snows in your size 195-65-15 for $101 with free shipping after all the rebates.
laugh.gif

Need new shoes for my 2011 Corolla.
They are 195/65/15's

This site has helped narrow my choices to either the General Altimax RT43 or Cooper CS5 Grand Touring.

However, I would also consider Kuhno Solus TA11 or the Dunlop Signature 2.

What do you guys recommend and why?

Also, where would I find brat pricing? Does anyone know if Discount Tire (in store, not DTD) price matches Tire Rack?

I have the same size on my 08 Corolla. I got a set of Hankook H727's from Walmart for $77 each. Very good tire in the snow and ice. Overall I am happy with the ride and handling. When I bought them Walmart did not have the General RT43's but they have them now for $76 each.

Just put RT43's on our van.
Have been satisfied with them.
Can't go wrong with either of your choices.
Yes, DT will price match Tire Rack.

Let's see, would I buy a tire from a company which is based in Germany, where the Autobanh has no speed limit sections, or would I buy them from somewhere else? At the very least there are Federally mandated sidewall markings for treadwear, traction, and blowout resistance which the sleazeball tire dealers hope you don't pay any attention to.

Last edited:
I've had good luck with the General RT43 tires on a Honda Fit. Good wet traction and quiet on the highway and a smooth ride. My experience with Cooper tires is limited, but the Coopers I had always had a thump in them when driving (and this is after re-balancing). I've had Dunlop tires on cars and work trucks (an even bicycles)they always wore out quickly. Never had Kumho tires.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
Let's see, would I buy a tire from a company which is based in Germany, where the Autobanh has no speed limit sections, or would I buy them from somewhere else? At the very least there are Federally mandated sidewall markings for treadwear, traction, and blowout resistance which the sleazeball tire dealers hope you don't pay any attention to.

By far, the least helpful post on this thread.
sleep.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

By far, the least helpful post on this thread.
sleep.gif

Ha, says the guy with 2 posts.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
DTD Black Friday sale with rebates if you can wait.

I can't wait.

How good are the Black Friday deals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back