WHICH OIL

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new 2007 Hyundai Azera with a 3.8L engine. Factory recommends 5W-20 but also lists 5W-30 in the owners manual. I would prefer to use the 5W-30. What brand and weight of oil do you folks recommend for this application?

Thanks

Are your plans to keep the car? Or get rid of it in a couple of years? If it were my car, I would keep it for a little while, but that is just me. I also like using GIII syns like Pennzoil Platinum which I can get on sale for pretty cheap and stock up. I would stock up on Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synpower,...etc. when you can get them for BOGO or something like that. Then, you can get them for close to dino prices, and get a little better protection for a little longer. MOST dino oils are good too, just get a name brand dino, and you should be fine for 5k OCI. Just my .02.

I will add the Regular oil have all the protection needed for the mfgs recommended oil changes .If you want to go longer between oil changes, use a gp III base oil, even further use a gpIV oil {general rule of thumb type thing unless syn oil is recommended}. That said is there a warranty? if so it is usually best to go with the mfgs recommended oil change intervals. Syn oils for 5,000 mile oil change intervals is like a 20 foot ladder to climb out of a 6 foot hole ,kind of a waste of ladder and of no advantage.It really not make your engine last longer or buy you insurance

Since cold is not an issue where you are at but heat is, I would use the 5-30. Any good name brand Synthetic would be good.

I would stick with the 5w/20 for the economical mpg factor. As for other recommendations, it would be useful to know your anticipated miles per year and driving conditions?

Originally Posted By: Cooper
Are your plans to keep the car? Or get rid of it in a couple of years? If it were my car, I would keep it for a little while, but that is just me. I also like using GIII syns like Pennzoil Platinum which I can get on sale for pretty cheap and stock up. I would stock up on Pennzoil Platinum, Castrol Syntec, Valvoline Synpower,...etc. when you can get them for BOGO or something like that. Then, you can get them for close to dino prices, and get a little better protection for a little longer. MOST dino oils are good too, just get a name brand dino, and you should be fine for 5k OCI. Just my .02.

I have a small stash of Pennzoil Platinum 5W-30. Just wanted to check to see if it was ok to use it. The warranty book says to change at 5000 or 6 months. I average about 3500 miles in 6 months. I'm sure it's a bit over kill. But, I did buy it BOGO, so not to expensive. I think it came out to $2.89 per quart.
Thanks for all your replies.

Regards

Westex

Originally Posted By: westex39
I have a new 2007 Hyundai Azera with a 3.8L engine. Factory recommends 5W-20 but also lists 5W-30 in the owners manual. I would prefer to use the 5W-30. What brand and weight of oil do you folks recommend for this application?

Thanks

Westex, I have about 200,000 miles on Hyundai's so I guess I know a little about them. I bought 07 Sonata, with the 3.3L that replaced my 02 Elantra that I put 150,000 miles on. My Sonata calls for 5W-20 but 5W-30 or 10W-30 are also allowed based off of the temp range you will be driving in. You would not have a problem using the 5W-30 expecally in TX., at most you may loose a little in the fuel milage but nothing to worry about. I am an Amsoil fan and just sent my first sample off to be tested and can't wait to see the results since I only put 8,000 miles on some ASM 0W-20 that is good for 25,000 miles. I would recomend using the Amsoil ASL 5W-30 which is also good for 25,000 miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back