Which oil with mmo?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent all night reading up on this stuff. I got a 1991 Toyota pickup with 22re engine and 120k on it. The guy said he only drove it 1000 miles a year for the past 3 years. He used it to take his dogs to the dog park. I was listening to the engine and it had a faint tick, and I checked the oil and it was a quart low. I think it might have a sludge problem. From what I read the conditions the previous owner described would be something that would create sludge. Short trips and old oil. I would like to get some Auto-rx, but I was thinking of getting some mmo for the time being

I'm just going to do a new oil change since the guy at the parts store would not shut up about engine restore, a different additive that he insisted I get instead of mmo. Plus I put a fram filter on it, and just found out from my reading that they suck.

When I changed the oil I used 5-30 and it sounded a little better. I was wondering if mixing mmo with 5-30 would make it to thin? Should I use a thicker oil like 10-30?

Skip the engine Restore it is not going to clean your engine. MMO will do the trick. Use any 5W30 Dino oil you like and replace 20% of the oil capacity with 20% MMO. Drive it about 3000-4000 miles and repeat. Just keep an eye on the oil level, top it up with oil, or oil and 20% MMO. If thinning the oil worries you, add a qt of 10W40 to the mix. Either way you'll be fine.

Wow I didn't expect to get replies that fast. This is a good forum.

It takes 4.5 quarts of oil so I was planning on doing 4 quarts quaker state, its on sale, and a half quart of mmo.

Pennzoil is also on sale, still more expensive than the quaker state, and they are claiming that their oil cleans sludge, but I wonder if its okay to mix mmo with it? Also wondering if it would do the trick, or if mmo would work better?

You'll be GTG, with a pint I'd stick with the 5w30 no need for anything else.

A whole pint, I don't know seems like a bit much. I think I'll try half a pint first.

What about Auto-rx. I was planning on using it the oil change after this one.

Last edited:
That 22re engine is one of the best engines that has ever been built. I doubt it is actually sludged, but it probably could use a good cleaning. I had a 92 Toyota with that engine that I ran for 15 years until someone ran a red light and totalled it. I had 195k miles on it and I'll bet you it would still be running today if that hadn't happened
frown.gif

MMO is the way to go, it has helped with some cold weather lifter tick I was having in my Tacoma. It didn't totally eliminate the noise, but I only ran the MMO for the last 1400 miles of my OCI. Do like Frank suggests and substitute 1 quart of thicker oil. Frank(demarpaint) knows what he's talking about when it comes to MMO, he's been using it for years, you would do well to take his advice.

Welcome to the forum
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: giantjoebot
A whole pint, I don't know seems like a bit much. I think I'll try half a pint first.

A pint is the half quart you mentioned earlier. At your next oil change, put in 4 Quarts of any brand conventional, and then use a Pint of MMO to bring you up to full on the dipstick. Stick to shorter OCI for cleaning benefits, I say 3k and then drop it.

Thanks for the kind words Don.

OP- A half pint of MMO isn't going to do much of anything. Go with the pint and the 5W30 oil, it will safely, and slowly clean your engine.

OP PM me if you like. BTW welcome to BITOG!

Look down the fill hole and check for any sludge first. You're just speculating right now.

If it's just dirty, use the 4 quarts of 5w30 QS + 1/2 quart of MMO.

If it's really bad, let us know.

Edit:
Don't use Restore.

Last edited:
I was listening to the engine and it had a faint tick,

MMO will take care of it, just give it sometime.

Quote:
I think it might have a sludge problem. From what I read the conditions the previous owner described would be something that would create sludge.

Take the car on some long drives, make sure the thermostat is working properly, MMO should help you out.

Quote:
I would like to get some Auto-rx, but I was thinking of getting some mmo for the time being

MMO will work faster, it is cheaper, it does a better job, from what I have read on this board, auto-rx will do NOTHING if you have sludge, you can always look up a thread called 3 ARX CLEANS DID NOT DO MUCH BUMMER.

Quote:
the guy at the parts store would not shut up about engine restore

It is probably not selling well, stick with the MMO and you will be happy with the results.

Quote:

When I changed the oil I used 5-30 and it sounded a little better

You were probably in need for an oil change.

Quote:
I was wondering if mixing mmo with 5-30 would make it to thin? Should I use a thicker oil like 10-30?

It will not make it to thin, the thinner oil will flow better and help with any needed cleaning that has to be done.

if it holds 4 1/2 qts replace one qt with mmo and run 10/40.
or just use a pint and 5/30.

alot of folks like to use mmo with rotella t6 5w-40 at 20%. that would clean it up fast!

give kreen some thought as well, its a pretty good cleaner!

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim

A pint is the half quart you mentioned earlier. At your next oil change, put in 4 Quarts of any brand conventional, and then use a Pint of MMO to bring you up to full on the dipstick. Stick to shorter OCI for cleaning benefits, I say 3k and then drop it.

01.gif

Originally Posted By: electrolver

give kreen some thought as well, its a pretty good cleaner!

From what I have read on this Forum it seems kreen will probably clean your engine faster than MMO, it seems kreen is the ticket if you have a very dirty engine.

I'd run the cheapest 10w30 you can find. I ran almost 25% MMO in my old cavalier's sump for an entire OCI (little over 4 quarts total sump). Zero problems other than the lighter wallet and absolutely no cleaning performed. It might help your tick issue, though.

As for ARX, it will clean your ring packs and restore compression if it was down due to dirty rings.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: badtlc

As for ARX, it will clean your ring packs and restore compression if it was down due to dirty rings.

MMO will also clean your ring packs and restore compression.

Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

so will kreen, alot faster and cheaper than arx..... i should be a spokesman
lol.gif

mmo is good at sludge but its not so great on varnish IMO

Originally Posted By: electrolover
Originally Posted By: PontiacFan

so will kreen, alot faster and cheaper than arx..... i should be a spokesman
lol.gif

mmo is good at sludge but its not so great on varnish IMO

then again, when did varnish hurt anything? cant say the same about sludge.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back