which new tablet to consider or maybe laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
I currently have a samsung galaxy tab 2 I bought it used but was still pretty new. I would like to buy a new tablet amd have saved enough to justify the expense. What do you guys prefer?

I'm not much of a tablet guy but I'd have to say go with a Galaxy Nexus 10, from what i've read it has iPad beating specs, and a much higher resolution screen than even an Ipad4, for significantly less. Apple always throws out marketing jargon, but not many users seem to know or care what it means. Besides why be tied into the Kim Jong Ill of computer products? When it comes to flexibility Android will give you better customization.

I am a Kindle and laptop guy. I do too much typing to use a touchscreen, thus a laptop and keyboard is good for many things. But a Kindle is good for other things. On vacation I was glad I had Kindle to read the NYT and do some personal email, but if it were stolen, not a big deal.

What do you want to accomplish, something specific that your Tab 2 won't support? What would be the reason to change-out the Tab 2? A newer Tablet isn't really going to provide much more than what you have already function wise.

Originally Posted By: zloveraz
What do you want to accomplish, something specific that your Tab 2 won't support? What would be the reason to change-out the Tab 2? A newer Tablet isn't really going to provide much more than what you have already function wise.

honestly a little smaller and a little less iffy. Charger port is pretty loose and its not very smooth. Open a few web pages and boom locks up frozen. Also i hate the lack of ability to go on any website. Some websites simply do not support it. My works corporate website is one of them so until I get another source of intermet I cannot update my address change my company profilemor anything. Kind of annoying.

And biggest complaint over all is the speakers arent very loud most youtube vids are rather quiet.

Originally Posted By: ram_man
Originally Posted By: zloveraz

honestly a little smaller and a little less iffy. Charger port is pretty loose and its not very smooth. Open a few web pages and boom locks up frozen. Also i hate the lack of ability to go on any website. Some websites simply do not support it. My works corporate website is one of them so until I get another source of intermet I cannot update my address change my company profilemor anything. Kind of annoying.

So it sounds like some flakiness in the hardware aside (which with a little care, you could live with), the software stinks. Can't you flash it with the latest OS? People say it is really good.

Tablets Suck.
I bought an iPad and hate using the touchscreen. My wife plays with it, I no longer touch it.
I think you'd be more happy with a good laptop that has a high screen resolution. High resolution cost a boat load, even for Windows. Cheap, sucky to use laptops have 1366X768 resolution.
Get a 13" MacBook Air if you can afford it. You'll use it and wont blow money on other cheap junk for a long time saving you in the long run.

macbook or macbook pro is way to go if you want rock solid quality - cost more because it is more. For a super high quality tablet wait till new apple ipads get announced in Spring 14....lighter and faster and all with retina display including the mini.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Tablets Suck.
I bought an iPad and hate using the touchscreen. My wife plays with it, I no longer touch it.
I think you'd be more happy with a good laptop that has a high screen resolution. High resolution cost a boat load, even for Windows. Cheap, sucky to use laptops have 1366X768 resolution.
Get a 13" MacBook Air if you can afford it. You'll use it and wont blow money on other cheap junk for a long time saving you in the long run.

Despite my strong feelings against tablets being used for any kind of real work, they do have their place... Mainly for embedded apps and most basic use. That said, I like my ipad, but it is SO much faster to type on my MBA, because the keyboard is a more reasonable size (yes, I do have a BT external keyboard). Same deal for those netbooks. I just wrote a 130 page technical document - not fun on a netbook, fine on a laptop.

And I totally agree that the screen is where the $ is, and causes all these apples to oranges comparisons to pop up.

Im running an MBA from at least two years ago, and doing the bulk of my PHD research, analysis, etc (very computationally heavy) on an MBP from 2008 which runs perfect. I personally dont get caught up in the lifecycle changes with mac nearly as much as I do windows, so I think youre on to something - OP may want to shop used MBAs, one with an SSD and good battery.

If completely caught up in toys (tablet), I agree that waiting until the next iteration comes out is smart. If I were to do it again, Id go ipad mini vs fullsize, personally.

I'm pretty happy with my Kindle Fire 8.9", especially with the screen resolution and speakers. Though, if you want guaranteed 100% compatibility with all webpages, it probably wont cut it.

I have a fairly high end Dell XPS (from 2007) that I use for most "real" work at home (ArcView, AutoCAD, etc.). But for tooling around the internet, I usually just stick to my tablet or phone.

Have you looked into the new MS Surface tablets? They seem to be a pretty good compromise between power and portability.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv
Tablets Suck.

We're the opposite. I haven't used our laptop twice or three times since buying an iPad almost a year ago. We hardly ever use the desktop computer anymore either. The only time we use our desktop computer is for personal finance spreadsheets and for using iMovie. Other than that, it's powered down most of the time.

Neither a tablet or a laptop computer "sucks"...it just may not be optimized for your situation. What is ideal for one person will be hard to use for another. And vice-versa.

It's like saying that a Cruze sucks because a Corvette is faster. Or that a Corvette sucks because an Acadia seats more people. They're simply different equipment designed for different purposes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back