which muffler is best

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am looking for a mildly loud muffler that has a nice grumble and tone to it, but I am completely clueless on where to start or what to get. I have an 89 Chevy 1500 350sb. Also I will be running some headers and I want true duel exhausts. Thank you

I would have to vote for a 14" Magnaflow, OR, the 40 series flowmasters. Magnaflow will be loud, with a small enough casing.

The flowmaster will be loud in the 40 series, but will change the tone of the engine slightly. Magnaflow will just accentuate it, with a bit deeper base note.

Seeing how youre from Texas, and dont need to worry about rust, look into the Dynomax super turbo and straight through versions. The super turbo is a very inexpensive muffler, with good sound.

Last edited:
Get some good data on the MGP that you get now. Pay attention to everything, the type of gas the way you drive, where you drove. Use this base line to compare the MPG after you change anything in the exhaust. You might see a BIG drop in MPG with any exhaust that is more open to flow because of less exhaust velocity at low RPMs.

You might want this base data so you know what you can get in MPG by changing back to what you had if your MPG takes too big a hit.

i had the flowmaster mufler on my 2007 gmc fore about a year it sounded fine but just too try somthing diferant i put a magnaflow mufler on it it ran quite a bit better never flowmaster fore me again

Last edited:
I'm running a 40 series FlowMaster on 83 Silverado with a single 3" exhaust and it's agressive and deep,it will set off alarms in the parking lot
thumbsup2.gif

Depends on how loud you want. Remember, many exhausts get louder with age as well.

I chose a stainless steel Gibson and have a single sweptside. I liked the stock location and a mild sound. I've had louder exhausts in the past (Flowmaster 50 series Delta wasn't bad). Gives me a headache on long trips. I'd guess you're going for more than me.

Magnaflow or Flowmaster might be what you're looking for. You might have trouble finding a complete system for that year.

I 2nd the comment about youtube clips!

Originally Posted By: Malo83
I'm running a 40 series FlowMaster on 83 Silverado with a single 3" exhaust and it's agressive and deep,it will set off alarms in the parking lot
thumbsup2.gif

You are so cool. I hope I'm as cool as you some day.

I've been happy with Dynomax Super Turbo mufflers. I took the Flowmaster 40-series off my Dakota that the previous owner had installed and replaced it with a Super Turbo. It's a mild tone, but still louder than OE. It has a nice growl when you start it. I think it's the perfect muffler for a daily driver.

Originally Posted By: L_Sludger
Originally Posted By: Malo83
thumbsup2.gif

You are so cool. I hope I'm as cool as you some day.

Never happen!
lol.gif

Sound (IMO) - Spintech
Build quality (major brands) - Bassani, Borla

Though there are many smaller manufacturers that build very high quality exhaust systems, like Kooks (they make some cat-backs), SSS, Stainless Works, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back