which car to buy next? new or used.

Status
Not open for further replies.
good morning everyone!! THANK YOU for all the superb help on all topics! i learned so much over 6 months.

Which car should i buy next?

I have a 2008 Cadillac DTS which i love. i seem to like 4 door sedans, with good sized engines. i have a 2002 lexus which i would like to give to my son, who has no car.

1. i am willing to do total super maintenance, and want the car to last forever.
2. i am willing to buy new or used, with a warranty.

i have an open mind, would buy any make of car. can you experts suggest some that are WORTH maintaining, and that have a great chance of really lasting?

another Caddy? 5 series bmw? there is a large dealer here with lots of certified pre owned. Acura? Lexus? infinity? something else?

THANK YOU ALL FOR THE GREAT HELP!!!!

best

Bob

I'm confused, are you keeping the Caddy and getting rid of the Lexus? If so, why would you want to buy a second Caddy? And why do you need another luxury car at all if you're keeping that Caddy?

Look at a used Buick with the 3800 Series III V6 and 4T65 transmission. That combination, while long in the tooth and not that refined compared to today's engines/transmissions, will give you very reliable service. Having almost-universal parts availability for the engine/transmission is another benefit.

Originally Posted By: sciphi
Look at a used Buick with the 3800 Series III V6 and 4T65 transmission. That combination, while long in the tooth and not that refined compared to today's engines/transmissions, will give you very reliable service. Having almost-universal parts availability for the engine/transmission is another benefit.

X2 To also.. you could get something Fully loaded, with less then 50K miles, for 1/5 that of the genesis...

THANK YOU ALL!!!! yes, i am keeping the Caddy, the next car is for wife. I do have an open mind, would consider used buick and new genesis.

did anyone actually own a hyundai? for more than 2 years?

keep the ideas coming!

best

bob

Instead of asking folks at BobIsTheOilGuy for our opinions on which car to buy next for your wife, why not ask your wife for her opinions on which car to buy next for her...?

In bread & butter land used cars are a pretty terrible deal now. In the world of luxury, you can still do well, as there are always posers falling off their horses. Why not go to florida and find a three year old Lincoln Town Car with low miles for half the price of new, from some estate?

To me, luxury is a car without dumb electronics like BMWs iDrive, that would actually own me. Or a car I can idle outside a dunkin donuts in january.

Or skip all this and get the kid a Town car or Grand Marquis. This is where every thread like this winds up going.
lol.gif

used cars are not a good deal right now like eljefino mentioned. cash for clunkers and the bad economy, used cars are not at a good price anymore. people have come to their senses and not financed huge car loans with no money down. so they are snapping up used cars. with high gas prices, used economy cars have shot up in value too. so I would buy new, since you want a warranty.

You should buy a used Audi S4. Quattro, 4.2L V8, beautiful interior, total sleeper. Gets [censored] gas mileage but runs 0-60 in 5 seconds flat. Their price has stayed stable.

Youre operating in the worst economics for buying and owning cars. Keeping for just a few years means you take on the bulk of the depreciation and dont get all the utility mileage wise of the vehicle.

So if youre going this route, Id buy used so you get a bit of a discount.

However, keep in mind that the used economics may be poorer. Things need to get done at the 65-100k points. If you buy a used car with 35k, its just that much sooner before you have to incur the costs for repairs. So the discount needs to reflect the reduced mileage before incurring the cost so the true lifecycle total cost can be evaluated. The used car may not be as good of a deal this way either...

Buick LaCrosse is a very nice car! Not quite as big as a DTS, but I think it is worth a look.

Used cars right now are a pretty poor deal, if you want a cheap luxury car that will run forever get a cheap Lexus or Acura.

You should be able to get 10 years or 150k out of either one without doing much beyond oil changes.

my friend just got a used Acura RL with around 47,000 miles. mint.

$19,000. he showed me the original $47,000 sticker.

GREAT CAR!!!!

do you guys like Acura RL"s?
best

bob

Ourselves, my wife and I will be looking for "PREOWNED" the next time we buy. Maybe certified, maybe not! It will be of the correct color and have the features that we desire(give/take an option). Used/preowned vehicles are much, much better/nicer as the years roll on. At one time all I bought was used cars(JUNK), then only new because I couldn't get a good used car. Today, it's a different story. Could be a BUICK, Caddy, Benz or AWD...IDK!

Right now, we're content with the vehicles that we own as they are paid for and probably the best vehicle we have owned to date. Not just for their reliability but, comfort, outward vision and still tight feel as well.

They are very comfortable in fact(a priority!) The view outward is better than many newer vehicles(another priority), have the recomended safety equipment such as side airbags and ABS/TC.

Although newer vehicle have many more airbags such as curtain and knee, it would be like pulling teeth to take away my wifes vehicle('01 Lexus RX) from her as she doesn't like the newer vehicles "MORE" than what she has now causing no anxiety to get another one. Any vehicle!

I too feel the same way about my vehicle('04 Altima) as I don't see any vehicle that I would jump all over to get and mine is just fine, looks shinny and new and runs very well. Seat comfort is perfect for my structure and the view outward(all around) is great and has room for others!

I think that this is the first time in 33 years of marrage that we both feel the same way about our vehicles(together). Years ago when we bought a car, it was for a specific function wheather it was for kids, cost factor or utility. Now, we both have the exact vehicle that we want in the exact color with the options/features that we wanted, no more, no less! We don't care if others or our friends/family have nicer/newer cars! We have never been this content with our choices.

For the first time in our lives, we will be heart broken when these vehicles will need replacing.

A new Buick Regal Turbo with the Turbo #3 package. I couldn't ask for anything more, other than RWD and no DI.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SL2
Originally Posted By: sciphi

X2 To also.. you could get something Fully loaded, with less then 50K miles, for 1/5 that of the genesis...

Did the Series III have the same intake manifold gasket as the Series II? If so, you would have to factor intake manifold gasket replacement with the price of the car.

At least the Series III intake is made of Aluminum. No more cracking like the plastic ones on the Series II.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back