Which car has the coldest AC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Eddie
What a question.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Ridiculous question :)

Is it really a silly question? I seriously don't know if all car A/C's are equal.

I have a 07 medium shade gray Toyota Yaris with after market tint. I don't have shade at work so the car sits in the New Orleans' sun all day.

It typically doesn't cool off until I get home after my 20 minute commute.

Originally Posted By: 05corollaLE
What a question.

Is it really a silly question? I seriously don't know if all car A/C's are equal.

I have a 07 medium shade gray Toyota Yaris with after market tint. I don't have shade at work so the car sits in the New Orleans' sun all day.

Is it safe enough where you are parked to slightly crack the windows and or sunroof?!?!? That small difference can easily drop the interior temp 30 degrees or more.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Vizzy
What a question.

Is it safe enough where you are parked to slightly crack the windows and or sunroof?!?!? That small difference can easily drop the interior temp 30 degrees or more.

Don't have a sunroof, but I'm often in indoor meetings where I have no idea if a summer shower pops up.

I'm considering a new vehicle anyways, just wanted a cooler one if it fit my other criteria.

What a question.

While the evaporator can not get below 32 F or it will ice up, the how well it cuts off heat from the heater core, size of the evaporator, the size of the air passages,restriction by size of cabin air filter if it has one, the flow of the fan, the size of the cabin, the size of the condenser, and compressor, the setup of the pulley system and the rpm it turns the compressor at, the quality of the window tinting, the quality of cabin insulation, the amount of heat stored in all interior parts, the solar absorption of the interior, size of the orifice, and probably a few other things I missed can vary.

There are many variables. I do not think there is any one of these parts that have the same size component used in all vehicles.

All here-say and opinions....nobody has temp readings to prove any of these claims like "Fords blow the coldest" etc.

As long as it's cold and the temperature drop is in spec - all is well.

Not entirely.
We have all had a number of cars, and we all know which ones had great AC, as well as which are rather weak.
For example, our old Aerostar has great AC, even at its current age.
It can quickly cool the entire really large interior volume.
The Subaru has really good AC as well.
Thw '99 Accord is good, although not as good as the Sube, while the '97 Accord has always been weaker, although it too will freeze you out on a long drive.
A surprise is the BMW.
We drove it top-up today, and it was quite confortable with the 90 F+ temps we saw this afternoon.
Limited glass area as well as a light colored top and interior no doubt help.

The AC on my 1985 Olds 88 just blew a hole where the condenser was rubbing against a piece of metal. Before that the old R-12 system blew ice cubes. I spent over a grand 7 years ago to get a new compressor, evaporator, orifice and screan, but kept it R-12.

I remeber one time I pulled my key chain out after walking into an auto parts store and said to the guy behind the counter, "want to feal something", the keys felt like they just came out of your freezer. There were times when I would have the keys get covered with condensation as I walked from the car. I use to get cramps in my arm mussles from the cold draft blowing on them. Sometimes the outside of the front window would get too much frost on it and you had to turn on the windshield wiper for one swipe to clear it. You never had to drive that car for 20 minutes to get it cold.

Last edited:
GM cars from the 'seventies had great AC.
Good enough that Rolls Royce used GM AC on their cars, along with GM automatic transmissions.
Jaguar also used GM automatics as well.
Don't know about the AC in the Jags, though.
GM must have also had great AC in the 'eighties.

[/quote]

All our Panthers cool off in a couple of very short minutes in the Miami blazing sun...Thats with the a/c set at 76 degrees and the fan speed in the low position....We do not leave the windows cracked ever and never air it out when we get into it...They all have after market tint [15% all around] and we do use the sun shade on the windsheild.

I do know someone with a brand new Yaris like you have and it does take at least 20 minutes [usually longer] to cool down.

My 99 GT had the BEST A/C out if my cars. My Z28's is a close second. My Jeep takes forever! Black exterior, sunroof, black leather interior..

Originally Posted By: rudolphna
Lol cavalier probably. When it's working, the A/C is arctic blast cold.

+1

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
Originally Posted By: DreamerGT
tinting your windows help the cooling in your car too.

^^2nd. In Texas window tinting is almost a requirement! I couldn't imagine not having tinted windows.

Depends if the film has decent heat rejection properties. I'm sure some of those cheap dyed films, even at the 20% level, do not make much of a difference. Only metallic or ceramic-based films make a difference.

Originally Posted By: sparkplug
My 99 GT had the BEST A/C out if my cars.

My Mustang has a very good A/C to, it will freeze you out in minutes on a 90+ degree day. Better A/C than my truck has, which isn't too bad itself. My Dad's Super Duty A/C isn't bad by any stretch but isn't the most potent I've seen.

Our old Toyota A/Cs were just lame, they took forever to cool down and on hot days you had to keep them cranked to keep the interior cool, they were like that from day 1 too.

We had an old Nissan Hardbody that had a killer A/C when it actually worked. That was probably the only unreliable part of that truck.

My Buick's is good and cold no matter what. That is really my only complaint about the Equinox, the A/C is just OK.
The Trans Am does well, but in summer with the tops on and the sun beating throught them it keeps it cool but it works at it.

Another vote for Fords. All of mine have had excellent A/C. My current Ranger is on the factory charge and after 8 years it still cools down very quickly.

The worst I have come across recently is in the Mazda 3. It's a really annoying flaw in an otherwise great car. Hopefully they resolved this with the latest redesign/update.

Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl
The worst I have come across recently is in the Mazda 3. It's a really annoying flaw in an otherwise great car. Hopefully they resolved this with the latest redesign/update.

2010 Mazda 3's A/C works great.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
Originally Posted By: 01rangerxl

2010 Mazda 3's A/C works great.

Good to hear they actually listen to their customers. My 2006 Mazda 3 had an OK A/C, and after I inserted a 47K Ohm resistor in parallel to the thermistor, the A/C is pretty good. It's not great, but I think the evaporator is just too small in these cars.

As far as Fords, the A/C on the expedition is just Ok. It's cold enough, but even on full blast in front and back, if never gets cold enough to actually freeze us out. The Mustang is pretty good, not great. My grandmothers Edge... Well, the A/C on that is severely underpowered for the car.

Having owned Fords, GM and Chrysler products I've found GM A/C to be the best. That was the only thing I liked about GM come to think of it.

Well there certainly doesn't seem to be a consensus here, except possibly the Crown Vic/Grand Marquis. Some other Fords are good, some are not.

It does seem like domestics are better than imports overall in the A/C department.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back