Which 5w40?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi All,

I am considering the 5w40 variety and am trying to decide between Rotella T and Mobil 1 TDT. Does anyone have any advice between them? I would presume Mobil 1 would be the better choice but want to get a little feedback. Thank you.

Both are good. In fact, most of the 5w-40's on the market are excellent. RL/Amsoil included.

Even though Rotella Syn is a HDEO, it does not meet the specs to protect a 2002-06 heavy duty Volvo, Detroit Diesel, or Mercedes Benz heavy duty engine (rather odd for a HDEO). M1TDT is a rebrand of Delvac 1 (CI-4 Plus version) which meets all these specs and more.

Sounds like there is good reason why Rotella Syn is a bargain.

Is it that it does not meet the specs, or are the specs just not listed?
If it does not meet, which test(s) does it not meet?
Do these specs normally require the use of synthetic HDEO (not necessarily group III) ?
OR, are there standard conventional HDEO's that do meet the specs?
In the DD case, is it the 2-stroke engines that require very high-TBN straight weights that virtually no multi-vis. HDEO is spec'ed for that are precluded?

I am liking Valvoline SynPower 5w40 at this point. This is for a gas engine choice.

If it were a diesel engine...I would look at the Mobil or Redline products 5w40.

Amsoil 5w40 has not faired very well at this point with diesel engines as far as I am concerned.

Originally Posted By: LargeCarManX2
...Amsoil 5w40 has not faired very well at this point with diesel engines as far as I am concerned.

What makes you say that?

Any of the 5W40's will work great in a gas engine in Arizona! I also do not think it is going to matter in any non-commercial Diesel so all the 1 Ton diesels will do just fine on them! I am partial to RTS since it is available at every Walmart I have been into in the USA for $16 a gallon or less! It has yet to turnin a bad UOA on this site and has yet to produce a dirty engine of any kind that I am aware of!!! Redline 5W40 worked great in my Camry but is not as cost effective as RTS. I like Delvac-1 and the other 5W40's Mobil has had ont he market but their availablity is hit and miss and the price can be all over theplace as well! I was in a local Carquest part's store the other day and they wanted $43 a gallon for Delvac-1 I almost needed to have a diaphram transplant since I laughed so hard! I am guessing it is the first and only time they have seen a 6'2" lumberjack lying ont he floor laughing that hard!

There is little if any definitive proof that one of these oils is any better than any other especially considering that we have no definition or test for best. How would you know? And if you knew how would you know what you knew? If you are looking for best, does that mean best regardless of price, availability or suitability for the task at hand? I have been reading about RI_RS4 odyssey into 5w-40 and he has come up with more answers that everyone else put together has come up with questions. In that case BioSyn would be a good choice. Too expensive. Then just about any bottle with an API cert would also be a good choice because you could pick one that is available near you. But what fun would that be? Chevron makes a synthetic Delo 400 5w-40 and no one has mentioned that. I have been thinking of using it in my 67 Datsun 510 wagon. I'm the original owner and have been using Delo 30w and then 40w and I'm no considering 5w-40. I just don't want to rush into it. So I though I'd ask if anyone has ever used it and what you might think of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back