Where were you 30 years ago?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assuming that you're old enough to remember, or to have been alive.

As for me, I was in Day 2 of a 21-day Outward Bound Course in the mountainous middle of nowhere, NC. ( Though we roamed over NC, SC, TN, and GA)
Part of a 14 person crew, which eventually ended up being a 12 person crew, of mostly 17 year old guys and girls in their early 20's.
No indoors, no hot showers, no mod-cons. I didn't see the inside of a building or a vehicle. We hiked, climbed rocks, rafted down the Chattooga River(though nobody squealed like a pig), and lot's of other excellent outdoor activities also including being blindfolded and left in the woods alone for 3 days with an apple, a roll, a hunk of cheese, and a bag of dried fruit. After that was done, we all got driven over to Tennessee and told to get back to basecamp and stay off the highways to do it. The last bit of joy was running a marathon the day before we finished the course.
Thirty years ago, and I think I can remember almost everything that happened that August and early September. Of course, having the daily journal we were encouraged to write in helps remember.

Hummm, I was 17, almost 18, getting drunk at Dibbo's in Hudson, Wisconsin since the legal limit was a year younger than Minnesota. Wednesday night was Banana Night, so I may have brought in a Banana to get in free.

Probably running in my great grandparents' backyard, scraping my knees and elbows off, chasing after chickens, breaking suff, and overall being up to no good.

According to my journal, on August 13, 1978, We had made it to a place called Whiterock Gap, after struggling through rhododendron jungles for hours. Eventually, we found Turtle Creek and camped for the night.
Oh yeah, our backpacks evidently weighed 80lbs. which was half my bodyweight at the time.

I had just gotten out of college and was working for a local sound reinforcement company. Build equipment by day, use it at night. Driving my cool-as-all-get-out (meaning cool-as-I-could -afford) 74 Vega GT wagon. Much better than the clapped out 65 Lemans I paid someone to haul off which preceeded it, or the 64 Nova and 66 Chevelle which preceeded that.

My roommate at the time was a friend from high school who was going to med school. He was about to make an attempt to swim the English Channel, and fail. A German man made the same attempt shortly afterwards, and succeeded. To add insult to injury, he turned around and swam the return leg also.

P.S. - for some reason I still have the spare tire from the Vega. Would anyone like a gen-u-wine '74 vintage Goodyear Polyglas GT tire, like new? Be the envy of your neighborhood! Girls will treat you as if you had a Ferarri.

I turned 11 years old on April 3rd 1978, which means that I was just about to start the 5th grade in early September.

I guess I follow Chicago news too much, Tom Skilling started at WGN.

I dunno what I was doing as I was only 8 years old. Probably playing outside with friends as the summer vacation was winding down.

Laying in a hospital were I stayed for 95 days. I went a couple of rounds with a D6 Cat bulldozer, needless to say the bulldozer came out on top. That whole year was a gaint sucking sound for me.

I was two years away from being born
grin2.gif

Nothing more than an egg in my mother's ovaries.

I couldn't remember, but from what I was told I was in the hospital almost dead along with 20 other babies, some weren't as lucky as me.

Working as a shift technician at NASA tracking staion Orroral Valley. 25 yrs old and commanding multi hunderd million dollar U.S satellites. Big responsibility at that age.

I was 24/25,living a life of irresponsibility.Living with my girlfriend,now wife in a ''bach'' in the bush.This was like a little beach cottage in Wood Bay....deep in secondary kauri forest.You could put your hand out the living room window and touch kauri trees....there were glow worms in the bank outside the bedroom window.One bedroom,longdrop,outside bathroom and no running hot water....rats and possums in the roof,cockroaches everywhere.And a beach across the road....there is always a beach in New Zealand.

Drifting in and out of work,we paid $10 a week rent....who needed to work? I was working at a major hire company for some of that year,and I enjoyed that.As a mechanic there was a wide range of things to work on,learned a lot,and had a bit of fun too.

I had a 1954 Austin A40 pickup,upgraded with later model engine and suspension (from an A60 Cambridge) But I was into motorcycles,and still am.I rode a 1954 BSA Goldflash,but had fitted a 1948 M20 engine - a 13hp sidevalve 500cc.My other bike was a 1964 Rickman Metisse,fitted with a 1973 Triumph Daytona engine....and registered for road use.

1978 was a pretty good time for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back