where is g-05 the cheapest?

Status
Not open for further replies.
O'ripoff wants $18 per gallon and buddies shop discount is only at the zone. Ideas....? No AAP around dallas.

Dealer is gonna be close to the same for concentrate Premium Gold. Unfortunately Ford only builds in about $4.50 in available profit for a gallon so there usually aren't discounts available.

These local stores have G-05: NAPA, Carquest, Pepboys. I think Carquest has it for around $16-17, Pepboys is about the same as O'Reilly at $18, NAPA was $17-18.

Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Just use the maxlife antifreeze.

NOOOOOOOooooo!!!
shocked2.gif

Originally Posted By: Oldmoparguy1
Originally Posted By: CHARLIEBRONSON21
Just use the maxlife antifreeze.

NOOOOOOOooooo!!!
shocked2.gif

There must be plenty of Valvoline marketing folks hanging around here....
whistle.gif

I'm sure there are some cases where a universal fluid would be OK, but I wouldn't list VW as one of them.

Do multiple flushes with distilled water and G05 is good for 5 years / 100k miles.

Spending $15 more than the cheapest coolant over 5 years is negligible. Don't sweat the cost!

I use the factory coolant for my fords... And the only thing I like from valvoline is the durablend oil they've decided to push to the back burner for maxlife 2... They still make it, but not as much. At least here.

It's going to vary some by who has it in your area, whether or not it's prediluted, and the quantity it comes in.

When I was close to a JD dealer that sold 2.5 gallon containers of premixed Coolgard II, that was the best deal. IIRC, it worked out to around $10-$11 a gallon. Usually full strength G-05 at Napa is around $14-$15 a gallon. The Ford dealer should be close.

If you are looking to meet the FoMoCo WSS-M97B51-A1 test, like Zerex G05, Peak Global will fit the bill, if you can find it. Walgreens has the 50/50 mix, but price is local. Some Pep Boys have it. O'Reilly has G05 and their own brand that looks suspiciously like the Zerex, but I have not looked at the label up close. It was about $14/gal local, vs the $18/gallon Zerex.
tom

I just got two gallons of g-05 for that price on amazon and used my prime account for free two day shipping. I don't really need it that fast but it's a fair price.

Also got a new overflow tank and radiator cap.

My cooling systems are never clean enough for 50/50, i always end up doing flushes every 2-3 years. I guess it doesn't help that both of these cars are known for cooling issues, the buick for sludgeing the overflow tank and rad neck, and the Taurus for plugging heater cores and cracking pressurized tanks.

Are you guy who are buying 50/50 ONLY using for drain and fills?

Originally Posted By: 901Memphis
My cooling systems are never clean enough for 50/50, i always end up doing flushes every 2-3 years. I guess it doesn't help that both of these cars are known for cooling issues, the buick for sludgeing the overflow tank and rad neck, and the Taurus for plugging heater cores and cracking pressurized tanks.

Whats wrong with flushing and refilling with 50/50? Use your hydrometer and make sure the freeze point is plenty for your area. Otherwise - antifreeze is a terrible thermal conductor, water being about the best.

Originally Posted By: KenO
Originally Posted By: 901Memphis

Whats wrong with flushing and refilling with 50/50? Use your hydrometer and make sure the freeze point is plenty for your area. Otherwise - antifreeze is a terrible thermal conductor, water being about the best.

The issue lies in some cooling systems, or if you don't pull the block drains. There's often enough trapped water in the system that flushing and then just adding 50/50 could give a mix as weak as 25/75, which is pretty weak in terms of corrosion protection, even if it's not a cold area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back