Where A340's go to die

Status
Not open for further replies.
With the discussion about long range flights in one of the other threads it isn't long before the A340 comes up. While I was looking at the Daher factory overhead photography the other day I found what is likely the final resting place for the four engine fleet. The location is Tarbes, France. If you have Google Earth or similar look it up. They're scattered all over the airfield. If ever you wanted a big jet now's the time!
grin.gif
I guarantee you a good price and all you'll need is a small sheikdom to afford the running costs. You may be able to see them at the following URL:

http://www.maplandia.com/france/midi-pyrenees/hautes-pyrenees/tarbes/tarbes/

And consider how much Euro taxpayer money got wrapped around each one as it went out the door. Another program like the A380 that never made a dime of profit but it kept the wheels turning at the factory.

The A340 and the A330 were co-developed and the A330 has done quite well in the airliner market.
We've flown in both the front and the back of A330s and found them quite nice, dare I say even nicer than the 777s we've traveled on. I write this as a Boeing shareholder.
We've never flown on an A340 and that possibility becomes less likely with each passing year.
My mother flew on an A340 ATL>JHB a few years back and found it quite nice.
Airbus airliners are no more a taxpayer funded boondoggle than are those from their only competitor.
There have been various formally pursued trade disputes lost by Airbus' only competitor to support this.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
The A340 and the A330 were co-developed and the A330 has done quite well in the airliner market.
We've flown in both the front and the back of A330s and found them quite nice, dare I say even nicer than the 777s we've traveled on. I write this as a Boeing shareholder.
We've never flown on an A340 and that possibility becomes less likely with each passing year.
Airbus airliners are no more a taxpayer funded boondoggle than are those from their only competitor.
There have been various formally pursued trade disputes lost by Airbus' only competitor to support this.

Flew 10 hours back from Europe on an A330 last week. Was much nicer and comfortable than the 757 on the way over. Better seat configuration too.

Passing through London Heathrow last week you are certainly seeing the 340 go away … and when you see one it’s not the big players so much anymore … Lots of Dreamers and 330’s and still dozens of triple sevens. Seeing a few 350’s joining the parade now …
One of my regular transatlantic flights is switching from B772 to B789 … the larger/older plane was just not flying full and having an option to downsize or upsize on direct routes can make good business sense …
This is not the first route of mine to do this … some off the left coast have as well …

Currently the WTO disagrees with you.

Note that I did not say the aircraft did not sell, clearly they did, I said they did not make a profit. My source for that is a direct quote from Tom Enders himself, president of Airbus Indistrie. And, in not having to make a profit, they are ipso facto an unfair competitor.

As to the ongoing 14 year legal wrangle between Boeing and Airbus, the situation as it stands now is that the World Trade Organization appeals body has ruled that Airbus has significantly transgressed on subsidies for the A380 and the A350. They apparently have satisfied older findings and fines for having improperly subsidized all of their aircraft beginning with the A300. So those are now off the table.

Will Airbus again respond? Of course. But we are reaching the end of the merry chase. You can tell that by the threats from the Europeans about a trade war if the verdict is sustained. Like the Chinese in the South China Sea, once the law starts going against you you begin trying to intimidate the other parties.

Look, the Europeans did what they felt they had to do in order to have an aerospace industry. No problem understanding their motivation. What wrankles me is that they also made agreements to compete fairly. They then whine about "subsidies" visited on Boeing via their defense contracts for instance. It's somehow lost on them that those same defense dollars make it possible for them to exist. Then their own governments don't spend the money with them for defense that would meet or alleviate that problem. No, they want it both ways. Again, I have no problem understanding the motivation. But I, we, are under no obligation to just take it now are we?

If you are interested there is a fairly good summary in Forbes. And there are many, many others. We can talk about Bombardier next time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/...r/#3e22884a745b

Profitability is problemmatic for Airbus because it is not a business per se, it is primarily a political enterprise trying to share out so much work to Germany, to Spain, to France, etc. etc. as a jobs program. It is not an entity designed to make a profit and is therefore a drain on the taxpayers as I said in the beginning. And an unfair competitor as a result.

Last edited:
A380? Flown in several … after 1st flight thrills are gone … all a matter of who they buy an interior from for me …
You find the same seats in other airframes that are not 2 flight hub routes through countries that hate me …

On the issue of A380 “helping hands” … seems a certain customer who kept that beast alive has been accused of the same thing …

Kinda sad to see an airliner be put out to pasture. Reminds me of the passing of the Boeing 707 which flew from 1958 to 1979 and was mentioned in Gordon Lightfoot’s song “In the Morning Rain” with the lyrics: “out on runway number nine.... big 707 set to go....”

Planes can be markers of time.

I have a buddy who was into the scrap metal business; he would go around to farmers and offer to clean up their yards, bring his shear-equipped cat and loader, put everything into two tractor-trailers he owned, hauled and sell the scrap to a metal foundry 150 miles away. He did well until the crash of '09 where the foundry quit taking metal for about a year, had to sell his equipment.

Getting to the point, there was an airline, Canadian Airlines, that ran 737s. They were bought by Air Canada and retired those aircraft. So one day we drive by the airport and we see all these retired 737s on the tarmack, there were two dozen lined up. We found out who owned them (the local Esso Aviation Fuel facility) and I had 25 acres of land 10 miles from the airport. We hauled four jets (they were gutted of avionics, seats, engines, etc) after cutting the wings off to my land and cut them up right there, used his trucks to haul the aluminum (mostly) to a rail siding and off they went to eastern Canada for recycling. Made good money on that job, was easy to do as well.

Because it was just him and I we didn't saw through them very fast, and the other 20 or so were sold to someone else, bigger operation than ours, who did the same thing. Good while it lasted, though.

I flew on a 707, long time ago, I was a kid and don't really remember much beyond those engines at the tail. Was in the late 60's. They were quite popular in the 70's as a conversion to private. Apparently a very robust platform with a great safety record.

I'm pretty sure there are some huge civilian and military boneyards in Arizona or around there.

I was a passenger on several transpacific flights on the A340-300. They were a very comfortable ride and the two seats at the window configuration was perfect for couples. The downside, slower than all get out and the four hairdryers had a certain noise level that would persist in my ears hours after the flight.

Not to be a stickler, but the 707 had 4 engines on the wings. Are you remembering the 727, DC-10, L1011 or hawker trident?

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
I have a buddy who was into the scrap metal business; he would go around to farmers and offer to clean up their yards, bring his shear-equipped cat and loader, put everything into two tractor-trailers he owned, hauled and sell the scrap to a metal foundry 150 miles away. He did well until the crash of '09 where the foundry quit taking metal for about a year, had to sell his equipment.

Getting to the point, there was an airline, Canadian Airlines, that ran 737s. They were bought by Air Canada and retired those aircraft. So one day we drive by the airport and we see all these retired 737s on the tarmack, there were two dozen lined up. We found out who owned them (the local Esso Aviation Fuel facility) and I had 25 acres of land 10 miles from the airport. We hauled four jets (they were gutted of avionics, seats, engines, etc) after cutting the wings off to my land and cut them up right there, used his trucks to haul the aluminum (mostly) to a rail siding and off they went to eastern Canada for recycling. Made good money on that job, was easy to do as well.

Because it was just him and I we didn't saw through them very fast, and the other 20 or so were sold to someone else, bigger operation than ours, who did the same thing. Good while it lasted, though.

I flew on a 707, long time ago, I was a kid and don't really remember much beyond those engines at the tail. Was in the late 60's. They were quite popular in the 70's as a conversion to private. Apparently a very robust platform with a great safety record.

I'm pretty sure there are some huge civilian and military boneyards in Arizona or around there.

I have a friend who is a flight hostess for Finnair and flies long haul usually on the A330 and A350.
She says the A350 is by far the most comfortable plane she has ever flied on and the quietest.

They still have some A340s in service but they will be retired in favor of the A350.

I've flown on A330s a few times, again more comfortable than B757s and 67s i've flown in, however the roar of the 757's engines i nice and they really pull you into your seat, since the 757 has the highes power / weight ratio of any commercial aircraft i believe currently flying

That being said the 757 is also discontinued 14 years ago and Boeing is far from launching that 797, so Airbus will continue to dominate.

Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
...so Airbus will continue to dominate.

Dominate, what, exactly?

Sales? They lead Boeing.

Deliveries? They lag Boeing.

Designing heavy, under-performing airplanes* that are overpriced, late, and nobody wants? They certainly dominate that part of aviation...nobody can touch Airbus Industrie on that point!

*The A400M is years late, and nearly double its original price...it was almost canceled 10 years ago for being so late and orders have been cut back because of the high price.

The A340 is a dog of a performer, its climb rate is terrible...they can't give those away...no, check that...they canceled production after they couldn't give them away...

The A380 is one of the worst airplanes ever built. They lost money on the whole deal, big airlines cancelled orders and others turned in the leases early. Airbus has lost money on the whole venture. Years late to market, 100,000 lbs overweight, didn't meet fuel consumption targets, parts didn't fit...a train wreck from day one.

The A330 tanker? Oh, huge success there...they sold, what two dozen...such market dominance!

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Originally Posted By: FordCapriDriver
...so Airbus will continue to dominate.

Dominate, what, exactly?

Sales? They lead Boeing.

Deliveries? They lag Boeing.

Designing heavy, under-performing airplanes* that are overpriced, late, and nobody wants? They certainly dominate that part of aviation...nobody can touch Airbus Industrie on that point!

*The A400M is years late, and nearly double its original price...it was almost canceled 10 years ago for being so late and orders have been cut back because of the high price.

The A340 is a dog of a performer, its climb rate is terrible...they can't give those away...no, check that...they canceled production after they couldn't give them away...

The A380 is one of the worst airplanes ever built. They lost money on the whole deal, big airlines cancelled orders and others turned in the leases early. Airbus has lost money on the whole venture. Years late to market, 100,000 lbs overweight, didn't meet fuel consumption targets, parts didn't fit...a train wreck from day one.

The A330 tanker? Oh, huge success there...they sold, what two dozen...such market dominance!

Without Emirates they’d be singing along with Dandy Don …

Originally Posted By: Snagglefoot
Kinda sad to see an airliner be put out to pasture. Reminds me of the passing of the Boeing 707 which flew from 1958 to 1979 and was mentioned in Gordon Lightfoot’s song “In the Morning Rain” with the lyrics: “out on runway number nine.... big 707 set to go....”

Planes can be markers of time.
55th Air Reconnaissance Wing at Offutt AFB is still flying the 707. In the air somewhere in the world everyday. Thank you men and women for your service and sacrifice.

Not sure airbus is "dominating" anything.

The 777 basically put the 340 down like a dog behind the woodshed.

The 340 drinks like the 4 engine sailor it is- it's also a flexy flyer/ the Virgin gals (Virgin is one of the few that bought it) told me they can watch the thing bend in flight.

The Vigin guys LOVE the 787 switch from the 340 and said they save something like (going from memory) 40 tons a fuel a round trip comparatively on the LA/London and back route so 20K each direction - all while climbing faster, quieter and more comfortable doing it. They say the RR triple spool mill is a beast when you put the balls to wall.

Astro nailed it on the 380- a money-losing dog that was driven by corporate ego that found one main buyer and little else.

If Airbus skipped both those and went to the 350 they would be money ahead - but they didnt.

UD

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: DeepFriar

Currently the WTO disagrees with you.

Note that I did not say the aircraft did not sell, clearly they did, I said they did not make a profit. My source for that is a direct quote from Tom Enders himself, president of Airbus Indistrie. And, in not having to make a profit, they are ipso facto an unfair competitor.

As to the ongoing 14 year legal wrangle between Boeing and Airbus, the situation as it stands now is that the World Trade Organization appeals body has ruled that Airbus has significantly transgressed on subsidies for the A380 and the A350. They apparently have satisfied older findings and fines for having improperly subsidized all of their aircraft beginning with the A300. So those are now off the table.

Will Airbus again respond? Of course. But we are reaching the end of the merry chase. You can tell that by the threats from the Europeans about a trade war if the verdict is sustained. Like the Chinese in the South China Sea, once the law starts going against you you begin trying to intimidate the other parties.

Look, the Europeans did what they felt they had to do in order to have an aerospace industry. No problem understanding their motivation. What wrankles me is that they also made agreements to compete fairly. They then whine about "subsidies" visited on Boeing via their defense contracts for instance. It's somehow lost on them that those same defense dollars make it possible for them to exist. Then their own governments don't spend the money with them for defense that would meet or alleviate that problem. No, they want it both ways. Again, I have no problem understanding the motivation. But I, we, are under no obligation to just take it now are we?

If you are interested there is a fairly good summary in Forbes. And there are many, many others. We can talk about Bombardier next time.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/danielreed/...r/#3e22884a745b

Profitability is problemmatic for Airbus because it is not a business per se, it is primarily a political enterprise trying to share out so much work to Germany, to Spain, to France, etc. etc. as a jobs program. It is not an entity designed to make a profit and is therefore a drain on the taxpayers as I said in the beginning. And an unfair competitor as a result.

Not so sure that WTO disagrees much with what I wrote. You could skip the Forbes article and go right to the source, wto.org and read a synopsis of the case from its inception to its current referral to arbitration. Suffice it to say that Boeing has plenty of dirt on its skirts as well, although Boeing's hammering of state governments for things like tax abatements, infrastructure improvements and worker training allowances is how things are done here in the land of the free and the home of the brave and was not invented by Boeing nor is Boeing an especially greedy feeder at this trough. Troll with some investment and some jobs and the states come running with offers of very valuable assistance.
WRT the defense of Western Europe, the Soviet threat imploded decades ago and the UK and France both possess their very own nuclear arsenals to deter any excessive boldness on the part of President For Life Putin. NATO was as much about extending and preserving American influence and control as it was about the defense of Europe. From a European perspective, why spend money that the Americans are willing to spend for you while from an American one defense spending is both a jobs program and a technology development one. America's expenditures in defense of Europe are not as altruistic as one might think.
Europe had an aircraft and gas turbine industry long before Airbus and it was the technical knowledge of those concerns that made Airbus possible. To aggregate those concerns into an enterprise large enough to compete with Boeing and McDonnell-Douglas was the goal in forming Airbus. Certainly you've heard of the Fokkers, the Caravelle, the BAC 1-11, the Comet and Trident as well as the Viscount, Vanguard and VC-10 and the Bristols and the Mercure, which some regard as the prototype of the A320.
Airbus profitability?
Airbus is a profitable concern. The A380 will never make a profit on a program cost accounting basis? One could say the same of the 787.

You make some valid points. It is the scale of the goverment help that has been at issue. Currently Boeing is mitigating as much as $600 Million via fines and makeups of various things like the different kinds of state aid you mention. Airbus, on the other hand, is standing firm saying that $18 Billion they got were "loans". They're going to lose this one IMHO. As far as the 787 goes you're guessing. It hasn't had time to *fail*. And I know for sure nobody is going to send them big checks to make up any shortfall. They aren't like the big banks. They have "bet the company" on many projects even before the 747. If those had failed, Boeing would have failed or merged out of existence. Look at Douglas, McDonnell-Douglas, Hughes Aircraft, Martin-Marrietta, and so on. Companies can and do fail here, Airbus does not because it is not a functioning commercial business, it is an arm of many governments and competes by not having to account for all of its costs except in some dim future that never arrives. If, and its a big if, the A350 actually makes money it will be the only Airbus to do so since the beginning. Have they learned their lesson? Did you read Astros input on the A400M? Go read the history on that. Every time that program finally faces reality Enders goes to the member governments for much more cash or X number of jobs will be lost. I give that one a little slack because it is military and we have our overruns too. But as bad as we can sometimes be programs like the A400 makes us look like mere pikers, the Euros versus number of aircraft that will ever be delivered is flat staggering. The only aircraft thing we've got that even comes close was the Northrop B2. And that one would not have been anywhere near that if we had bought more than 22, a mistake the Congress continues to make. And now where is Northrop? Merged out of existence into Nortrop-Grumman. Grumman was another one that wasn't going to make it alone because the numbers simply weren't there. You see, Airbus doesn't care when the numbers aren't there. They don't have to. And, as I said in the other post, if the Europeans would spend what they should be spending for aerospace and defense with their own manufacturers much of this profitability problem would go away. But they'd rather spend it on social programs which I understand, that's a good thing. What's not good is to then turn to us to whine and moan that they should be allowed to trade unfairly. That might play for some brain dead cosmopolitan kumbaya politician but, down at the shop floor, it makes no sense.

I get an undercurrent here of blame America first. Is your position simply pro Airbus or is it just bad ole US military industrial complex? Because trying to justify Airbus's financial history or European free riding cynicism is like trying to say the devil's not such a bad guy, he's just lost his way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back