When to change to synthetic??

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Scotts riding mower that is one year old and has about 18 hours on it. I changed the oil with straight 30W at 10 hours.

I was wanting to change to synthetic as soon as I can but want to know how long to wait.

I have heard 50 hours. But at that rate, it will be in three more years.

Should I stay with 30weight, or go with a multi viscosity?

Thanks

On edit...it has a 17.5 HP Kohler engine.

[ April 11, 2003, 03:00 PM: Message edited by: Scooby ]

That Kohler has hydralic lifters and you must run a muti-visc. in it . The factory wants 10w30 which is what we use at the shop.Also you can switch to synthetic now with no problems.I have seen many Kohlers run on mobil 1 with no problems at all.Also the syntetic may help with liffter ticking which the Kohler's are known for.

Scooby, I can't comment on what Plexx said but it sounded good.
dunno.gif

I wouldn't put off switching to a synthetic oil any longer if that's what you want to do. The old warnings about avoiding them until the engine was well broken in were always a bit overdone.

Besides, I'd say that most breaking in is done in the first few hours of oepration. By 10 hours you should be more than safe.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

I put Amsoil and a Amsol filter in my John Deere 425 50 hours ago and it still looks clean.I should probably change it again anyway it only takes a Quart and a half

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back