When to actually start using high milage oil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: virginoil
Originally Posted By: ron917
My '07 Outback 2.5i just turned over 70,000 miles. It is seeping oil from the the head gaskets (no drips yet, just wet). This is a very common problem with Subarus, obviously a design defect.

After reading that many folks were still seeing HG leaks despite statements that Subaru solved the problem in 2003, I switched to M1 HM 5W-30 at 62K miles. The next OCI at 68K miles was also M1 HM 5W-30. It started seeping sometime in the last 2K miles.

So in my case, the HM oil didn't help. Or maybe it DID help, and the leak would have been worse if I did not switch to HM oil.

The real fix is multi-layer steel head gaskets, available aftermarket. Subaru should have used MLS at the factory.

What oil were you using before the switch to Mobil 1 HM and what OCI were you doing.

You may have just clogged up the filter if you didn't follow the correct switch process when changing oil brands etc.

Have a read of the link below:
http://www.pecuniary.com/faq/high-mileage.html

The filter is not clogged, my engine is clean. The vehicle has been running M1 or PP 5W-30 since 5K miles, with 5K to 6K mile OCIs. Before that, quality conventional oil (Castrol GTX or Mobil Clean) at 1K and 2.5K miles. Always with a genuine Subaru filter (OCOD painted blue
Trolling.gif
).

I've enjoyed hearing about all of your experiences with your cars and your well thought out answers to my question. I called
Shell today and got a lubrication engineer on the phone. I liked his answer. With a car you have had since new the time to start
a H.M. oil is when you first start to notice a change in the oil
consumption pattern. So in my case if the 1/3 QT between changes
should begin to increase that's the time to make the switch. The same goes for leaks, when you begin to notice a problem. The 75,000 mile chalk line used by the oil companies is just a general guideline and can of course boost their profits. Time is also a factor too a 10 year old car with 60,000 miles could well benefit from H.M. oil due to seal deterioration.He also said he thinks once you start using H.M. on a regular basis best to stick with it but also pointed out that all quality oils (even non H.M.) do have some seal conditioner
in them. Oil consumption is considered significant if you have to add any between changes ( say 4,000 miles ) and can also carbon up things like the EGR valve and other emission
related parts. HM oils are also blended to have a slightly higher viscosity at the upper end so that say a 5W-30 HM oil
is actually like a 5W-35.

not a big deal.

I use dino, hm, synthetic, dino(now). You can switch anytime.

my car is 246,000 mile.. who say I have to use hm oil??

High mileage oil may have an effect on rubber valve cover gaskets, valve seals, rear main. On an oil pan gasket it depends, some are rubber, some cork, some a foamy substance. Nearly all head gaskets are MLS so it would have no effect.

This is seems like a logical response to me. Did you ask about seal swellers for all those who like to throw that term around on here? Also any reason why the engineer recommended staying on a HM oil after regular use?

It would be nice to have a Mobil engineer also provide a response to your same questions to compare.

I don't think oil companies make much more profit off of HM oil. The price difference between M1 and M1 high mileage is insignificant.

Originally Posted By: coastalguy
I called Shell today and got a lubrication engineer on the phone. I liked his answer. With a car you have had since new the time to start
a H.M. oil is when you first start to notice a change in the oil
consumption pattern. So in my case if the 1/3 QT between changes
should begin to increase that's the time to make the switch. The same goes for leaks, when you begin to notice a problem. The 75,000 mile chalk line used by the oil companies is just a general guideline and can of course boost their profits. Time is also a factor too a 10 year old car with 60,000 miles could well benefit from H.M. oil due to seal deterioration.He also said he thinks once you start using H.M. on a regular basis best to stick with it but also pointed out that all quality oils (even non H.M.) do have some seal conditioner
in them. Oil consumption is considered significant if you have to add any between changes ( say 4,000 miles ) and can also carbon up things like the EGR valve and other emission
related parts. HM oils are also blended to have a slightly higher viscosity at the upper end so that say a 5W-30 HM oil
is actually like a 5W-35.

Originally Posted By: virginoil
My '07 Outback 2.5i just turned over 70,000 miles. It is seeping oil from the the head gaskets (no drips yet, just wet). This is a very common problem with Subarus, obviously a design defect.

After reading that many folks were still seeing HG leaks despite statements that Subaru solved the problem in 2003, I switched to M1 HM 5W-30 at 62K miles. The next OCI at 68K miles was also M1 HM 5W-30. It started seeping sometime in the last 2K miles.

So in my case, the HM oil didn't help. Or maybe it DID help, and the leak would have been worse if I did not switch to HM oil.

The real fix is multi-layer steel head gaskets, available aftermarket. Subaru should have used MLS at the factory.

What oil were you using before the switch to Mobil 1 HM and what OCI were you doing.

You may have just clogged up the filter if you didn't follow the correct switch process when changing oil brands etc.

Have a read of the link below:
http://www.pecuniary.com/faq/high-mileage.html

The filter is not clogged, my engine is clean. The vehicle has been running M1 or PP 5W-30 since 5K miles, with 5K to 6K mile OCIs. Before that, quality conventional oil (Castrol GTX or Mobil Clean) at 1K and 2.5K miles. Always with a genuine Subaru filter (OCOD painted blue
Trolling.gif
).

Reread the link when changing brands of oil the oil filters can still clog due the different chemistries removing the old varnish layer and depositing a new.

There is a thread live at the moment talking about this fact, You can see it yourself I don't need to post a link.

It sound like the HM oil was removing the old varnish layers.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back