When do you consider a vehicle "old"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: eljefino
When I see others my body style clattering around with dents, untreated rust, missing hubcaps, 30 bumper stickers, crazy cat ladies, etc.

When it smells like a mix of oil and antifreeze when I shut it off hot.

When a friend drops me off at my car and hangs out "to make sure it will start"

When I know which mechanics are incompetent in which departments for inspection stickers. I know I guy who knows nothing about ball joints or wheel bearings; he just shines a flashlight on them and doesn't touch anything.
lol.gif

When my state says, nah, you don't need a title to register it, we'll just take your word and this bill of sale on a chit of paper.

When I go to the junkyard for parts, and the only car that matches is already a little cube in a big metal fort.

When my wife parks on her mom's lawn so she doesn't drip anything on the driveway and overstay our welcome.

When I constantly roll start my Virago, as the electric starter system is hopeless. In front of cops and Harley owners.

When the junkyard tow truck shows up, and the guy says, "have I been here before?"

When the junkyard tow truck drives by, but slows down passing my driveway.

This is all legit and has happened to me!!!! Most of my stuff is in good repair though.

Wow, about 6 of those have happened to me on a regular basis. That must mean we lead interesting lives in regard to vehicles, no?
lol.gif
cheers3.gif

if you consider 10 years or 100,000 miles old i have a friend in ohio that is a used car dealer and he will gladly take them off your hands because he is a nice guy....

Originally Posted By: Bluestream
When it hits 15 years old and over 200,000 miles. Anything else is still new

Agreed. My 10 year old vehicle listed in my signature with 122k miles is new to me... but then again it's also my first car. I'm probably biased.

So what do you guys think of all the '08 and '09 vehicles sometimes seen for sale with 90k miles? Are they old?

I think it depends on the vehicle's condition.

For example, my wife's 2001 Accord has 115K on it and is in great shape in every respect.

However, my in-laws recently got rid of a 2000 Impreza with 120K that had peeling paint, a loud muffler, trim pieces falling off, and it smelled like mildew inside. Only 5K difference in mileage, but a huge difference in "newness"!

Last edited:
I don't consider my Jeep old. It's not 200k+ miles, it's still reliable (although it has its issues here and there), it's almost rust-free (and that'll be fixed this summer). Interior is still in good shape too, except for a little wear on the leather on the tranny shifter handle and a small crack in the dash.

It may sound convoluted, but I feel a vehicle is old when you don't see them on the street very often, so therefore you notice them (if you notice that sort of thing).

From about 2002 to 2005, I had a Mazda 323 hatchback. There were quite a few cars like mine on the road, so even though it was over 8 years old, it was common.

These days, I hardly EVER see a 1990-1994 Mazda 323 on the road, because many of them have rusted away due to..age. When i do see one, it 'stands out' as an 'old Mazda'.

Tommorow AM, I'm trading in my 2002 Cavalier for a 2003 Tribute. Even though the Cavalier is 9 years old, the streets here are still thick with them, lots of them around, so I don't consider it an 'old' car. In another 5 years, when there are far less Cavasliers on the street, I will start to think of them as 'old'.

Originally Posted By: Torino

when the price starts going up instead of down. John--Las Vegas

Boy o boy! Ain't THAT the truth!

I might add that some people can even make a new car "old" in a very short time.

Cheers!

Originally Posted By: Torino

when the price starts going up instead of down. John--Las Vegas

Especially when it happens everytime you fill up...
57.gif

I saw it's a state of mind. It depends on what you feel. if you owned a "classic" would you consider that to be old? Right now, I would consider any car that starts having expensive repairs to be old.

I considered my 11 year old 88 Town Car old as it had 300k miles on it..I sold it some lady for 1500 bucks to get a new G.M.Q..I actually cried when she drove off in it as it was such a good car.

Three years later while I was stuck in traffic on a 95 degree day I see my 88 Town Car passing me in the next lane..The same lady had it and it was running just fine and the a/c was still working..I realized then I should have kept it till the wheels fell off as it was overall good on fuel.

8yrs or 150,000 miles.

Usually the car has a worn suspension, some creaks and a few things broken.

10yrs or older. Sadly, most northeast cars at this age are usually "used up." Almost every car close to 10 years has under-carriage rust and the bottom sills of the doors have surface rust etc. I believe time takes a MUCH bigger toll on a car than mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back