When do you consider a vehicle "old"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
What's everyone's opinion of when a vehicle becomes "old"? It seems like some people think a car is old after just a couple years, and others think it's old after decades. I'm just asking out of curiosity, it's not really a debate.

I think about a decade is when I start to consider a vehicle to be "old." My truck is at the 9 year mark, and it's sort of between old and new. On one hand, the body is rough and definitely has a lot of stories behind the way it looks. It has also been through a few sets of tires, and there are no 0s on the odometer right now. On the other hand, it still has some newness left. It drives very straight, the interior is still tight and mostly rattle free, it runs and drives very smoothly, and the mechanical parts are all original except for maintenance items and the cam synchronizer. Also, EVERYTHING works. There is not a single part on the truck that isn't functioning correctly, it just looks like [censored].

Originally Posted By: meangreen01
10 yrs or 100k miles.

My Buick is old. The interior is OLD. It all works after a fashion, and guessing where the button will be due to the dash jumping around all over the place is a fun game. The Rattle Symphonies #'s 1-10 are also entertaining. The rest of the car is old due to rust and wear/tear. 12 years old is considered old here in the Northeast. It's maintained well, but is showing its age. Just hit 100k miles the other day.

The Fit is still new. Very few rattles, it drives like new, and is still on the OEM tires. Being rust-protected since new helps also. That car should hit 100k miles and still feel new based on what other Fit owners who drive far more than we do are reporting.

Originally Posted By: sciphi

My Buick is old. The interior is OLD. It all works after a fashion, and guessing where the button will be due to the dash jumping around all over the place is a fun game. The Rattle Symphonies #'s 1-10 are also entertaining. The rest of the car is old due to rust and wear/tear. 12 years old is considered old here in the Northeast. It's maintained well, but is showing its age. Just hit 100k miles the other day.

The Northeast definitely takes an additional toll on vehicles. My '95 Explorer (a PA transplant) was definitely old too...plenty of rust, sagging doors, and squeaks and rattles all over due to the weaknesses in the body. It still ran great, but with well maintained vehicles from the NE, the engine and drivetrain can easily outlast the body.

Not sure I can answer this question. Thankfully I don't have any rust issues to deal with, so I tend to drive my vehicles to the ground. Durability, ease of maintenance, availability and cost of spare parts play a huge role when buying the car in the first place.

10 yrs or 100k miles.

+1 or when it spends as much time in the shop as it does on the road.

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
10 yrs or 100k miles.

or when it spends as much time in the shop as it does on the road.

Yes I think it is more a reliability measure than a time or mileage. I can't believe, though, when I hear someone with a 4 year old vehicle call it old!

John

Although i do have new cars i have lots of old ones also from 2010 all the way back to 1970 but the old ones are in perfect shape and run new i have a 1983 oldsmobile custom cruiser that we use as a shop car with over 400,000 miles and that runs pretty good also.. I think if you take care of them they will last a long time, my cousin has a 73 Buick electra that was in the family since new and that looks and runs great also..My friend Lou keeps cars a lot longer than he keeps a wife but every time he trades in a wife he gets a younger one, lol
I think when a car gets very rusty that is whem i consider it old

It's a condition thing...

My 1990 Truck is starting (only starting ) to be old.

My 1932 Packard definitely is old!

10 yrs or 100k miles.

I agree here with the years, but not the miles. 10yrs or 200K is not really "Old" but wore out. Is there a difference?? haha

Im talking cars not people!! haha or am I?? hehe

Jeff

When I see others my body style clattering around with dents, untreated rust, missing hubcaps, 30 bumper stickers, crazy cat ladies, etc.

When it smells like a mix of oil and antifreeze when I shut it off hot.

When a friend drops me off at my car and hangs out "to make sure it will start"

When I know which mechanics are incompetent in which departments for inspection stickers. I know I guy who knows nothing about ball joints or wheel bearings; he just shines a flashlight on them and doesn't touch anything.
lol.gif

When my state says, nah, you don't need a title to register it, we'll just take your word and this bill of sale on a chit of paper.

When I go to the junkyard for parts, and the only car that matches is already a little cube in a big metal fort.

When my wife parks on her mom's lawn so she doesn't drip anything on the driveway and overstay our welcome.

When I constantly roll start my Virago, as the electric starter system is hopeless. In front of cops and Harley owners.

When the junkyard tow truck shows up, and the guy says, "have I been here before?"

When the junkyard tow truck drives by, but slows down passing my driveway.

This is all legit and has happened to me!!!! Most of my stuff is in good repair though.

I agree.
As long as the vehicle can be relied upon to do what you need it to do, is reasonably presentable and has an interior that still cleans up nicely, it isn't really old.
Take decent care of a car, and it doesn't grow old for well beyond ten years and 150K.
At the moment, our little fleet is neither young nor low mileage, except for the Forester.

Any vehicle is old if any of the following apply:

1. No one will finance the purchase of that vehicle.
2. Insurance on vehicle doesn't include collision.
3. Dealers either don't carry parts or are not familiar with the mechanicals of the vehicle.
4. It doesn't have electronic fuel injection.
5. People comment to you that they used to have one.
6. It's considered a gross polluter by modern emission standards.

On the otherhand, it may be on the cusp of going up in value, if it is potentially collectible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back