When did police departments start ordering their cars with A/C?

Growing up vehicle history:

1967 AMC Rambler - No AC
1971 Dodge Coronet Wagon - no AC
1975 VW Rabbit - no AC
1982 suburban - AC
1992 VW Golf - AC
all AC after that.

Broken AC for me

I bought a non AC car 95 Civic EX coupe new without AC. The dealer did a special in 2000/95k miles for me trying to get rid of Del Sol kit and installed it for $550.

I drove it till 240k miles with nice AC.

With all of the electronic equipment police cars have these days, it's probably important to keep it in a somewhat temperature controlled environment.

My father purchased a used 1968 Pontiac Catalina police car from a Pontiac dealer somewhere around 1969 or so. It had a 428 with chrome air cleaner and chrome valve covers if I recall correctly along with a red badge on each front fender with "428". All of this was from the factory.

It was a station wagon which the department also used as an ambulance which was common then. The city it came from had about 25000 people and was a suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.

The one thing it did lack was a factory air conditioner but one had been added by the dealer before it went into police service. I remember the big hunk of metal box containing the controls and vents hanging from under the dashboard in the front center.
That was an interesting police order model!

A 1968 Pontiac GTO that I owned in the mid 1970's had a transplanted 428 Catalina engine adapted to the manual trans. Not one of the famed Royal Oak dealer transplants. No A/C on mine or any vehicle I owned prior to the early 90's. That GTO had neither power steering nor power brakes.

The dealer added A/C used to be a thing for a long time. I think that most of all of them were aftermarket systems. At least some were referred to as "knee knockers."

With all of the electronic equipment police cars have these days, it's probably important to keep it in a somewhat temperature controlled environment.
Oh yeah. In the winter I almost don't use the heater as the in-car camera hard drive, CAD monitor, lap-top and on-board wi-fi hardware, radar counter box, siren/light controller, and 2 radio boxes, keeps things nice and toasty inside.

Broken AC for me

I bought a non AC car 95 Civic EX coupe new without AC. The dealer did a special in 2000/95k miles for me trying to get rid of Del Sol kit and installed it for $550.

I drove it till 240k miles with nice AC.

That's what it was on my Subaru Forester from new. Never worked from the dealer lot. So I just had windows down.

Used to the heat. Hard to imagine for visitors but residents get used to it. The construction guys you see laying asphalt in the summer wearing dark long sleeves and dark pants don't need no stinking AC.
This is it exactly. Your body adapts to hot weather. And it doesn't take long. And it's much easier when the humidity isn't close to the temperature.

I've been in both Houston, Texas and Orlando, Florida in July with "90/90" weather. (Temperature and similar humidity). And it's miserable. You're dripping with sweat 5 minutes after you step out the door. The air feels like you could cut it with scissors.

Here when it's 115 F with 4% humidity it's almost comfortable. You barely perspire because it's evaporating the instant it leaves your pores. You have to be careful not to dehydrate. Keeping your fluid intake up is a must. But I could never go back to living in a temperate climate again. Midwest Winters were horrible.

QwzGxRG.jpg

This is it exactly. Your body adapts to hot weather. And it doesn't take long. And it's much easier when the humidity isn't close to the temperature.

I've been in both Houston, Texas and Orlando, Florida in July with "90/90" weather. (Temperature and similar humidity). And it's miserable. You're dripping with sweat 5 minutes after you step out the door. The air feels like you could cut it with scissors.

Here when it's 115 F with 4% humidity it's almost comfortable. You barely perspire because it's evaporating the instant it leaves your pores. You have to be careful not to dehydrate. Keeping your fluid intake up is a must. But I could never go back to living in a temperate climate again. Midwest Winters were horrible.

QwzGxRG.jpg

my experience too, after living in SFLA since 84. Grew up in the Great Lakes state. talk about 2 different climates..

terms like Heat Index, Dewpoint and Wet Bulb temperature take on new meaning . yesterday it barely hit 90 but the Wet Bulb Temperature was 81.
it sucks. Basically once the dewpoint goes above 70, most people are uncomfortable, even though they might get used to it..
that wet bulb temp explains the maximum amount of cooling a person can get from evaporation..

so you walk out the door of the house and your eyeglasses fog up. :)

Last edited:
Used to the heat. Hard to imagine for visitors but residents get used to it. The construction guys you see laying asphalt in the summer wearing dark long sleeves and dark pants don't need no stinking AC.

yeah, there reaches a point where you cover up to keep cool .

I started in 1975 with a Dodge Monaco 440 that had A/C. Although in summer, with all the radio equipment, it got pretty hot. If A/C broke, town council would balk at fixing it because it was a luxury! Back in those days, we use to leave the hood open if you got stuck at an accident scene for a prolonged period of time. They overheated frequently. Now a days, with body armor, laptops and an assortment of accessories on the bat belt, it's a must. It became standard on police cars in the early to mid 70's, depending on brand. It became a "Police Package" and always included A/C but not FM radio. Now that was torture. I don't know how they lasted for 250,000 miles. Multiple drivers who didn't care, Extended idling, code 3 most of the time and bad N.J. roads. Oil used was "low bid". But was changed religiously at 7,000 miles. No additives or fillers added. All natural, dead dinosaurs.

I imagine most departments would order A/C when it became available for patrol cars. HOWEVER, most patrol guys and gals in the trenches probably never saw them as the brass took first dibs. My first patrol car was a 1977 Dodge Monaco 440 with a single red trashcan light. Had A/C, but would vacuum cut out when the pedal was floored. Was fast as he!! in a straight line but wouldn't turn or stop to save it's soul. Fast forward to modern time and I'm currently in a 2022 Ford PUV Explorer that has an icebox for A/C. Good thing too because the plastic sandwich I wear that doesn't breathe (bullet resistant vest) gets pretty dang hot. I can dump a cup of rice down the front during summer months and have lunch in a few minutes. Fortunately, I have a vest vent that connects a hose from the car's vent into the open space at the top of my vest to keep cool. Even so, I still drive with the windows down so I can hear things that are going on. Old school.
The Monaco weighed 4500 lbs so it would have really felt fast to get to 60 in under 10 seconds. I believe the 440 was the RB police only engine, hence it had a “ cop motor”. With its 2.76 rear end it had a top speed of 126 mph. Top speed was “ unlimited”. Enjoy.

D8022F55-539C-4821-9CE7-3BAE44B69A0F.png
5A414AC3-6F82-48C6-B440-6A93F574F5EB.png

When I was growing up in the late '60's and '70's, our family had a 1969 Ford Galaxie 500 with the 302 V8 engine. It had no A/C and no power brakes. It did have heat and power steering, though. I suspect most of the police vehicles in our part of Ohio at the time were similarly equipped (although certainly with more powerful engines, LOL).

Watching ADAM 12 as they are driving around in a 1967ish Plymouth police car. Reed says it must be 100 degrees and they have the windows down. Didn't they have a/c in the cars back then, especially in LA?

I read an article about this once.
They didn't until 1971 or 1972 when they went with the AMC Matador.
The Matadors had AC included in the bid price. The Chrysler bid did not include it.
I doubt that it was the only factor that led to selection; however, it led to the push for the purchase.

I worked for the Federal Government in Winnipeg, Canada from 1993 to 1999. It gets and stays pretty hot there in the summer. We were buying a new vehicle so I prepared a justification for buying that new vehicle with AC - arriving at our destination ready for work, etc.

Not to worry said my boss, all the vehicles under consideration came with AC and they didn't have to do an AC delete. So we got our first vehicle with AC (the only one of 3 or 4), a small Chevrolet sedan.

I expect it would have been the same thing with the police. Justify it or do without.

Back