When buying a vehicle- what is the deal breaker?

Heard a new GMC 1500 pass me by- with the I4/turbo, love the turbo whistle- but no manufacturer has ever had a I4 that I could stomach the sound unless it's muffled to oblivion which this one wasn't. Spec's aside- I don't see the 1500/4 banger combo a success (maybe in a Colorado sized truck). That being said- Toyota I6 or phord v6 turbo's I can get behind. Why couldn't GM build on there 80's Buick turbo tech,,,,,,30 years later I would assume one hell of a engine would be in service.

Deal breaker: cost. Although availability and desirability come into play, followed by “rides poorly” and “doesn’t meet my needs”.

Heard a new GMC 1500 pass me by- with the I4/turbo, love the turbo whistle- but no manufacturer has ever had a I4 that I could stomach the sound unless it's muffled to oblivion which this one wasn't. Spec's aside- I don't see the 1500/4 banger combo a success (maybe in a Colorado sized truck). That being said- Toyota I6 or phord v6 turbo's I can get behind. Why couldn't GM build on there 80's Buick turbo tech,,,,,,30 years later I would assume one hell of an engine would be in service.
For me it’s mechanical perception and cost.

An I4 turbo in a half ton pickup truck 🤦‍♂️🤷‍♂️. It’s like fords 2.4L in a half ton. This is the behavior that’s driven when mileage restrictions apply to a fleet. For every V8 they sell they probably need to sell three or more 2.4L.

Just my $0.02

For me buying a vehicle is simply a business transaction. At my age, emotion doesn't come into play and vanity went out the window with the Reagan era. I determine what something is worth TO ME and I go from there. I try to be fair and in all honesty I doubt I ever get the best deal that could be negotiated. What matters is that I AM HAPPY with the tranaction.

So, price is the number one factor. If the salesman has halitosis then I go to someone else. Hygiene is important and I take is seriously. So should they.

As far as the vehicle in question goes, I want proven technology and I want value.

Regarding the sales process: I'm the customer.
It is incumbent upon them to please me, not the other way around.
I have discovered over the years that e-mail is my friend in this process.
I have found that if they are going to be jerky, they will do so during this part of the dance.
It's very easy to terminate an e-mail discussion.
Much harder to get out of a dealership with a Herb Tarlek on your rump, although I've done it many times.
When I hit the showroom door, we are about 99% of the way through the process. Usually a test drive and a once over. Sometimes some minor haggling, but generally sign the paperwork and out the door.

Pushy salesmen, and vehicles selling over sticker to adjust for "market conditions." I'll walk out so fast the entire sales team's heads will spin if they pull that nonsense.
These common 500 and 600 dollar "documention" charges are laughable. Know what they are beforehand. Requires Due Diligence.

I Don"t like the game; You gotta stay and play the game. They don't care if you walk out if they didn't even start to write a deal. I have made good deals in the past, just to be held hostage by the finance guy trying to make his buck. If we are not coming to terms, I usually have a manilla envelope with 5 crisp twenties inside.
Then I say, I'm from Jersey, I know you gotta put dinner on the table so, lets finish this thing up. Then I push him the envelope. If he starts to open it I say - Uhn, uhn ehhh!

It works every time.

These common 500 and 600 dollar "documention" charges are laughable. Know what they are beforehand. Requires Due Diligence.

I Don"t like the game; You gotta stay and play the game. They don't care if you walk out if they didn't even start to write a deal. I have made good deals in the past, just to be held hostage by the finance guy trying to make his buck. If we are not coming to terms, I usually have a manilla envelope with 5 crisp twenties inside.
Then I say, I'm from Jersey, I know you gotta put dinner on the table so, lets finish this thing up. Then I push him the envelope. If he starts to open it I say - Uhn, uhn ehhh!

It works every time.
I sold cars, I like to say I learned from the best, and I'm certain I did. I know all the tricks and then some. To make it simple an educated consumer is a salesman's worst nightmare. I've negotiated many deals over the years for family and friends. Every person I negotiated for was happy with the outcome and they saved money. As you said it requires due diligence. It just takes a bit of time and patience. Getting up and walking away from a bad deal or a salesman making an attempt to insult my intelligence is a no brainer.

I've driven the 310 hp version of that 2.7 Turbo in a new Colorado 4x4. It will absolutely push you back into the seat when you open it up.
It's got more torque than the old 402 (396) big block truck motor.

But 4 cyls The buzz. Well I guess those IVECO commercial box trucks have been kicking about with a diesel 4 for ages.

It's got more torque than the old 402 (396) big block truck motor.

But 4 cyls The buzz. Well I guess those IVECO commercial box trucks have been kicking about with a diesel 4 for ages.
Truthfully- I hope the owner couldn't hear the exhaust, I was embarrassed for him....

At the closing of the deal, if the dealer refuses to throw in a free new set of floor mats….I walk! ;)

I sold cars, I like to say I learned from the best, and I'm certain I did. I know all the tricks and then some. To make it simple an educated consumer is a salesman's worst nightmare. I've negotiated many deals over the years for family and friends. Every person I negotiated for was happy with the outcome and they saved money. As you said it requires due diligence. It just takes a bit of time and patience. Getting up and walking away from a bad deal or a salesman making an attempt to insult my intelligence is a no brainer.

You are absolutely correct.
Knowledge is power, and the guts to back it up is what it takes.
Never sold cars anywhere but out of my front yard, but I learned from an excellent negotiator, and picked up a few tricks.
I knew that I arrived at being pretty good at it when I went in to buy my first pickup.
I worked the salesperson like a barnyard mule.
By the time I was done, the owner of the dealership came out of his office, shook my hand, and offered me a job.

When spending that kinda coin, I know what I want and what the out-the-door price is. Prior to that, I do my best to balance wants vs price. It has to make reasonable sense. I'm car crazy but not that crazy.

Heard a new GMC 1500 pass me by- with the I4/turbo, love the turbo whistle- but no manufacturer has ever had a I4 that I could stomach the sound unless it's muffled to oblivion which this one wasn't. Spec's aside- I don't see the 1500/4 banger combo a success (maybe in a Colorado sized truck). That being said- Toyota I6 or phord v6 turbo's I can get behind. Why couldn't GM build on there 80's Buick turbo tech,,,,,,30 years later I would assume one hell of a engine would be in service.
Probably CAFE. If they sell too many big displacement engines they have to pay. This is stupid beyond all get out. They needed to give Washington the big finger and tell them to shove it. Big blocks and diesel for all. Unfortunately they roll over and just pay the ridiculous fines.

Back