When are you getting YOUR IRS tax refund?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I filed both my federal and state returns on Jan 19th. My fed return was accepted on Jan 27th. I received some email stating that they were accepting a few returns before the Jan 30th date. I received my Fed tax return on 2-4 and the state return on 2-5.

Wayne

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If youre happy about that or getting food stamps, you should be ashamed.

Blunt and someone will think it is mean, but happiness in this means that youre happy with the free lunch on someone else. The general intent is that it is painful and shameful to be on these social programs, so people try REALLY hard to not be on them.

Unfortunately that does not tend to be the case.

My offer to send you to FPU on my dime still stands.

JHZR2, please don't think I am trying to be funny, but can I ask you what FPU is?

I was feeling all down/dumpy, up until I called her about 15 minutes ago. Now I feel as if there is at least a "glow."

.... ? I did have really good grades, GPA 3.7 actually about a decade ago. I wonder if it is obvious I have some issues, most of all are legit... Not sure it a good idea to mention in public, as some don't care.

I think there was once a time where folks would rather NOT be on assistance.

I grew up in a single parent home. There were times when I was on free or reduced lunch at school, etc.

But when I was in 6th grade, you could work in the cafeteria to earn your meal. That was something that made me happy. I could actually earn my meal, rather than take from others. We rinsed dishes, handed out milk stacked trays when the came out of the dishwasher, etc.

Now that's earning your assistance.

One doesn't earn Food Stamps, EIC and a host of other assistance.

Many people see the problem as folks believing they earned, or in other words, they are entitled to assistance.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help folks. What I'm saying is as long as the collection of people who believe such assistance is earned continues to grow, we as a nation are doomed.

How long until the 47% that pays no income tax becomes the the 47% plus that not only pays no income tax, but actually gets more than they've paid into the system?

What will happen when there are more "earning" assistance than there are taxpayers who are paying net taxes?

It may not seem like your small contribution is all that bad. But the problem is in a nation of 300 million, when almost 150 million are paying a net zero or even negative with respect to income taxes, eventually you run out of net taxpayers and the whole thing will collapse.

Do you think it will be those in DC who get the bills? Nope. They will be passed on to the folks who planned and saved and then are seen as the "greedy rich" because they are the ones who (may) still have money when those who partied, had the latest smartphone with unlimited data (but can't pay for health coverage), have 300+ channels on their TV package, (but can't put back money for their retirement) and so on.

I think someday the ants will get fed up with the grasshoppers and shut them out in the cold winter.

I'm not saying bad things don't happen to people. What I'm saying is I'm getting tired of having to bail out not only those folks, but those who are simply see such assistance as Divinely given rights.

So I'd be happy if folks simply saw that money for what it is, the result of the efforts of others, provided to you.

It seems few see assistance that way these days.

Originally Posted By: GearheadTool
Originally Posted By: javacontour
How does one EARN the EIC? You earn income, sure. But the EIC is money over and above your income, transferred from the fruits of one tax payer who had the money taken from him and given to the other, for no reason other than the recipients income was below some arbitrary threshold.

How is that earning it?

So, I can't be happy about QUALIFYING for it? I have Food Stamps, too!

Blunt and someone will think it is mean, but happiness in this means that youre happy with the free lunch on someone else. The general intent is that it is painful and shameful to be on these social programs, so people try REALLY hard to not be on them.

JHZR2, please don't think I am trying to be funny, but can I ask you what FPU is?

I was feeling all down/dumpy, up until I called her about 15 minutes ago. Now I feel as if there is at least a "glow."

.... ? I did have really good grades, GPA 3.7 actually about a decade ago. I wonder if it is obvious I have some issues, most of all are legit... Not sure it a good idea to mention in public, as some don't care.

Based upon how you write and some of the words you use, it is clear that youve got something besides mush between your ears. Its pretty clear that youre an intelligent person who has had some issues or bumps along the way. Who hasnt?

FPU is Financial Peace University. It is a class associated with Dave Ramsey (the radio personality) that teaches you about a lot of major aspects of smart financial decisions, how to get on a written budget, how to deal with insurance and other stuff.

I always enjoy listening to the radio show. The class is 9 weeks, once a week for an hour or two. It is given all over the country.

Based upon your "lets discuss" thread, it is clear that youre trying to work to a smart financial position, and making the right choices to get there. This may be helpful.

Based upon how you write and some of the words you use, it is clear that youve got something besides mush between your ears. Its pretty clear that youre an intelligent person who has had some issues or bumps along the way. Who hasnt?

FPU is Financial Peace University. It is a class associated with Dave Ramsey (the radio personality) that teaches you about a lot of major aspects of smart financial decisions, how to get on a written budget, how to deal with insurance and other stuff.

I always enjoy listening to the radio show. The class is 9 weeks, once a week for an hour or two. It is given all over the country.

Based upon your "lets discuss" thread, it is clear that youre trying to work to a smart financial position, and making the right choices to get there. This may be helpful.

I think this could be really helpful! I never said I didn't want to learn, though so many seem to assume that.

Also, I got two e-mails about the car................................................... one with a phone number, saying seriously interested........................................

Should i Google "Dave Ramsey?" I'm new at that kind of stuff (who Dave Ramsey is, etc. Isn't he on masterChef?)

^^ Is this like a "Donald Trump buy houses" thing?

No its practical learning about how to get on a written budget, pay down debt, and set yourself up to not be like the next "tool", stuck on payments and living in debt for trinkets they dont even remember buying for the rest of their life...

The total money makeover is the book that is the basis for a lot of it.

While real estate and investing is all great stuff, this is really how to get on the right track to set you up to be able to smartly invest and run your financial life intelligently going forward.

^^ Is this like a "Donald Trump buy houses" thing?

No its practical learning about how to get on a written budget, pay down debt, and set yourself up to not be like the next "tool", stuck on payments and living in debt for trinkets they dont even remember buying for the rest of their life...

The total money makeover is the book that is the basis for a lot of it.

While real estate and investing is all great stuff, this is really how to get on the right track to set you up to be able to smartly invest and run your financial life intelligently going forward.

My eyes perked up when I read "A Biblically based curriculum that teaches people how to handle money God's ways." I have always been deeply religious.

I think I am really interested in this, chasing car sellers for the Volvo ATM, but I want to come back to this! I like how it is sounding!

it really isnt particularly religious, especially the radio show. Most of the classes are given at local churches though, FWIW.

it really isnt particularly religious, especially the radio show. Most of the classes are given at local churches though, FWIW.

I am interested in this. I could use some 'classes" in my life. I think I filled the void.. with the car..

My eyes perked up when I read "A Biblically based curriculum that teaches people how to handle money God's ways." I have always been deeply religious.

Wouldn't "God's way of handling money" involve giving it to people who need it more than you? In fact, isn't accruing further wealth simply by using interest (usury) on your already-accumulated wealth a grave sin? I have never encountered a religion that doesn't view usury as a sin; yet I come across all sorts of "religious people" who strive to make their personal pile of treasure larger through it.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more

Wouldn't "God's way of handling money" involve giving it to people who need it more than you? In fact, isn't accruing further wealth simply by using interest (usury) on your already-accumulated wealth a grave sin? I have never encountered a religion that doesn't view usury as a sin; yet I come across all sorts of "religious people" who strive to make their personal pile of treasure larger through it.

Please dont violate the RSP rule here with your questions on theology. That isnt the intent of the discussion here, nor my offer to GHT.

What's with the EIC hate? Don't like it, vote the bums out who made it happen.

People aren't binary, aren't black and white, aren't exclusively "givers" and "takers". Some hang out in the fuzzy middle. Am sure GHT and others pay more in sales/use taxes and Social Security than they get back in EIC... just the accounting goes in different ledgers, proverbially robbing Peter to pay Paul.

He does go in to work at a job that would drive me crazy, which beats sitting around the house eating bonbons and watching Dr Phil.

So there's a box on his tax form that's advantageous. There are loopholes and credits everywhere. Don't hate the player, hate the game! I bet ExxonMobil doesn't feel shame taking corporate welfare when they do their taxes...

Originally Posted By: javacontour
I think there was once a time where folks would rather NOT be on assistance.

I grew up in a single parent home. There were times when I was on free or reduced lunch at school, etc.

But when I was in 6th grade, you could work in the cafeteria to earn your meal. That was something that made me happy. I could actually earn my meal, rather than take from others. We rinsed dishes, handed out milk stacked trays when the came out of the dishwasher, etc.

Now that's earning your assistance.

One doesn't earn Food Stamps, EIC and a host of other assistance.

Many people see the problem as folks believing they earned, or in other words, they are entitled to assistance.

I'm not saying we shouldn't help folks. What I'm saying is as long as the collection of people who believe such assistance is earned continues to grow, we as a nation are doomed.

How long until the 47% that pays no income tax becomes the the 47% plus that not only pays no income tax, but actually gets more than they've paid into the system?

What will happen when there are more "earning" assistance than there are taxpayers who are paying net taxes?

It may not seem like your small contribution is all that bad. But the problem is in a nation of 300 million, when almost 150 million are paying a net zero or even negative with respect to income taxes, eventually you run out of net taxpayers and the whole thing will collapse.

Do you think it will be those in DC who get the bills? Nope. They will be passed on to the folks who planned and saved and then are seen as the "greedy rich" because they are the ones who (may) still have money when those who partied, had the latest smartphone with unlimited data (but can't pay for health coverage), have 300+ channels on their TV package, (but can't put back money for their retirement) and so on.

I think someday the ants will get fed up with the grasshoppers and shut them out in the cold winter.

I'm not saying bad things don't happen to people. What I'm saying is I'm getting tired of having to bail out not only those folks, but those who are simply see such assistance as Divinely given rights.

So I'd be happy if folks simply saw that money for what it is, the result of the efforts of others, provided to you.

It seems few see assistance that way these days.

As someone who has properties leased to Section 8 in the past, I can tell you that the world is different today than before.

Without going into politics (47% IS POLITICAL THESE DAYS) too much, I'd say that the economy that once upon a time was based on cost of living -> labor cost -> production cost -> business cost -> tax generated is now artificially supported by the government to compensate for the high cost of living with low labor cost. I see this as both a business and individual subsidies, and it is not just the 47% but the 53% as well.

Most of the section 8 tenants are on partial subsidies, and do work full time on an honest jobs that is not paying high enough for the local cost of living (especially in high cost area like SF bay area).

The same goes for other governmental program like college aid, public library, K-12 education, high traffic bridges that cost billions, military, etc. They are all job programs and pork belly for businesses.

At the moment it is the foreign nations that peg their currencies to ours that's paying the bill.

Sure you can blame the individuals, but why stop there when it is a macro economical issues?

JHZR2, I have a preliminary buyer for the Volvo. Talked to ladyfriend on the phone.. It's not "as bad" as I thought. However, with my head cleared, can I ask what we ARE talking about with Dave Ramsey FPS here?

Please dont violate the RSP rule here with your questions on theology. That isnt the intent of the discussion here, nor my offer to GHT.

Point taken. Sorry.

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service has a message for taxpayers eager to learn the status of their tax refund:

Photo Credit: Thinkstock

Please don’t check the IRS website every five minutes — once a day is enough.

The IRS says its “Where’s my refund?” website and smartphone app are being overwhelmed by eager taxpayers. The agency says its systems are only updated once a day, usually overnight, and the same information is available on the website, the IRS2go smartphone app and IRS toll-free phone lines.

The IRS provides three updates: when the tax return is received, when the refund is approved and when the refund is sent. To avoid delays, the agency says the best time to check on refunds is evenings and weekends.

“I think what we’re seeing is just part of the natural evolution in the refund process,” said IRS spokesman Terry Lemons. “Twenty-five years ago, you desperately checked the mailbox every day.”

Lemons said the number of inquiries is up over last year, probably because it is easier to check on smartphones and computer tablets.

Nine out of 10 taxpayers typically receive refunds in less than 21 days when they file returns online and get refunds deposited directly into bank accounts, the agency said.

The IRS is receiving more than 1 million returns a day and volume is expected to increase in the coming days, Lemons said. About 75 percent of individual filers get refunds. Last year they averaged $2,803.

“Every year our most common question is about people’s refunds,” Lemons said. “For a lot of folks this is the biggest check they will see all year.”

Originally Posted By: KD0AXS
WASHINGTON (AP) — The Internal Revenue Service has a message for taxpayers eager to learn the status of their tax refund:

Photo Credit: Thinkstock

Please don’t check the IRS website every five minutes — once a day is enough.

The IRS says its “Where’s my refund?” website and smartphone app are being overwhelmed by eager taxpayers. The agency says its systems are only updated once a day, usually overnight, and the same information is available on the website, the IRS2go smartphone app and IRS toll-free phone lines.

The IRS provides three updates: when the tax return is received, when the refund is approved and when the refund is sent. To avoid delays, the agency says the best time to check on refunds is evenings and weekends.

“I think what we’re seeing is just part of the natural evolution in the refund process,” said IRS spokesman Terry Lemons. “Twenty-five years ago, you desperately checked the mailbox every day.”

Lemons said the number of inquiries is up over last year, probably because it is easier to check on smartphones and computer tablets.

Nine out of 10 taxpayers typically receive refunds in less than 21 days when they file returns online and get refunds deposited directly into bank accounts, the agency said.

The IRS is receiving more than 1 million returns a day and volume is expected to increase in the coming days, Lemons said. About 75 percent of individual filers get refunds. Last year they averaged $2,803.

“Every year our most common question is about people’s refunds,” Lemons said. “For a lot of folks this is the biggest check they will see all year.”

I just read that but it really isn't going to stop me checking every hour? http://www.newser.com/article/da4emijo3/...-restraint.html

And, it's true: "“For a lot of folks this is the biggest check they will see all year.”
Thumbs up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back