when an engine starts to knock

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a GMC truck for a little while that spun a main bearing. Regarding the original post, IT HAD BEEN NEGLECTED. I got it cheap, it was beat up, and the oil pressure was low. Despite that, it ran perfectly for several, several thousands of miles since I had acquired it. Every morning, I would let it warm up at idle, then drive it pretty easily. I took it on the highway and hauled with it often. Then one morning I was in a hurry and only let it idle for a couple minutes and drove it harder than usual. Surely enough, accelerating quickly up the bridge, I began to hear the rattle! I knew it would happen eventually, but it made me mad to think that I could have prevented it a while longer. I probably drove it another 1000 or 1500 miles with the spun bearing, highway and hauling haha.

You know the old saying a GM will run like [censored] longer than most cars will run! So what engine was that anyway?

I worked with a guy years ago that had a 1986 Pontiac 6000 with a 2.8 V-6.

He abused it horribly, never changed the oil, and ran it about as hard as you could all the time.

One day, coming down the highway at speed, it started to knock really loudly...he knew the engine was done, so he slowed right down, and managed to make it home. All the manin bearings had spun, and he junked it.

Truth is, in all my years of driving, that is one of very few engines I've heard about that actually died from spun bearings. Like others have said, very few engine die from that these days....

I've heard that saying and have a bit of evidence to support it haha. It was a '95 1 ton truck with a 350. The first time I changed the oil, all the metal in it felt like sand. I was surprised it went as long is it did before it failed. It had been repossessed, and I had a feeling the former owner knew it would be repossessed!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back