wheel bearing 2003 toyota camry

Status
Not open for further replies.
but it may have been just tire noise and not a wheel bearing
I had it checked out at belle tire and they said there wasn't enough play in it for it to be a bad wheel bearing and the Toyota dealership also said my wheel bearing was fine but I needed bg a/c vent service as well as a throttle body cleaning and rear stabilizer bar bushing and spark plugs

spark plugs ill do myself, but for ngk spark plugs, I read on their website, you don't use anti seize like you do on normal spasrk plugs, correct? thanks.

is a bavarius 2 tire by barum any good or better than a kelly tire? one of my kelly tires now has steel belts showing but it's not flat yet, so can i drive with that tire and for how much longer?

Originally Posted By: camryguy
is a bavarius 2 tire by barum any good or better than a kelly tire? one of my kelly tires now has steel belts showing but it's not flat yet, so can i drive with that tire and for how much longer?

You should have stopped driving on that tire last month. In other words, you need to get that tire replaced IMMEDIATELY!!

engineer20/camryguy: capri racer has said exactly what I told you on Toyotanation....I hope that encourages you to NOT DELAY in getting new tires....as I suggested to you months ago...

Yeah I'll pile on here, cords are no good. If you wreck your insurance might not pay out and you could lose whatever assets you have (house etc) as your insurance will say you're grossly negligent.

I can get a good used 205/65/15 for $20 all day long where I live. You should do the same if you're indecisive, waiting for a sale, etc.

i replaced it last weekend at belle tire
belle tire has the kelly edge for 102 dollars
but this goodyear place i go to offers the kelly edge for 102
i have a rear tire that is low on tread but is not bald nor does it have steel belts showing, but i will replace that one in about a month with a kelly edge from goodyear
but as for the steel belt showing tire, i wasn't near the goodyear place and i was interested in the 65k cheaper sumitomo which was 59 dollars and 82 installed at belle, so i got that. so now i have 4 tires all new instaslled within the last year of different brands, so now i'll be able to compare and contrast the brands and see if they live up to their mileage expectations and get an alignhment after i get the kelly edge, but i got the sumitomo to replace the steel belts tire, and i got a barum from last month's flat, and i have a goodyear integrity from earlier this year, so it'll be intereesting

but is the sumitomo better? it gets more 65k vs 55k for the edge, but the edge has a slightly better traction rating, but the sumitomo is a better deal and will last longer, correct, or not necessarily? the kelly edge, if i'm getting it, i would get at the goodyear place, not at belle, but belle did offer it
many belle tires don't have the sumitomo in stock but the one i went to had 1 more in stock so i got lucky with them

is the sumitomo a good tire, or not really? is it better than the bavarius 2 or is it similar, despite a better mileage rating?

Originally Posted By: engineer20

....so now i have 4 tires all new instaslled within the last year of different brands, so now i'll be able to compare and contrast the brands and see if they live up to their mileage expectations and get an alignhment after i get the kelly edge, but i got the sumitomo to replace the steel belts tire, and i got a barum from last month's flat, and i have a goodyear integrity from earlier this year, so it'll be intereesting

If I read your most recent post correctly...you have FOUR DIFFERENT TIRES ON YOU CAR AT THE SAME TIME????? Not only on the same axle, but at ALL FOUR CORNERS????

IF so, what you are doing is HIGHLY DISCOURAGED...if not highly dangerous....because the car will very possibly drive/respond erratically to different road conditions (types of roadways and surface conditions), and to different driving directions (braking, accelerating, turning)....

....I'm surprised any tire dealer would mount different tires on the same axle...to anyone reading this... take heed of the danger.

Last edited:
even with these new tires, i still hear the noise, esp at higher speeds when i turn my wheel to the left. does that mean the wheel bearing is still bad? if so, i've been driving with this noise for 15k miles and i've still been fine, or should i replace the wheel bearing asap?

you can use a lug wrench to take the lug nuts off, but the front wheels have this additional thing, a large thing in the center with like a 12 star points or something "spline?" what is that called? Do you need a special wrench or something to take that off? the toyota dealer said that only goes on the "drive" wheels so i have front wheel drive so it's only on the front wheels, whereas you can take the back wheels off with a lug wrench

and what is spin balancing? do they use a machine to balance your wheels, or is balancing simply putting wheel weights on your wheels? and how often do you recommend balancing and do you relally need balancing every time you get new tires?

This thread is like a traffic accident ... I just can't look away, even though I know it's going to be horrible
crazy.gif

Usually a bad bearing will have at least some noise even at very slow speeds, even 10mph ish. If it takes at least 20mph, I looks to tires/other parts of the drivetrain, if a reciprocating kind of noise.

i went to belle tire for them to inspect the vehicle, i plan to have this indy mechanic inspect it tmrw but belle tire said i needed a ball joint. is that right? is it hard to DIY, it didn't seem like too expensive of a job
120 total if they do it but I want to DIY. they use moog, is moog a good part or no and how does it compare to the oem ball joint, or do you want to buy oem? what about auto parts store like oreilly's ball joints, like a borg warner or an anchor ball joint, etc? thanks.

would the steering wheel thump and noise at high speeds be explained by a ball joint? and was it caused by curbing the car or taking it on unpaved roads?

http://www.ebay.com/gds/How-Do-I-Know-If-My-Car-Has-Bad-Ball-Joints-/10000000177633328/g.html

This says I need to lube the ball joints. I recall before I did DIY oil changes, the oil change places lube your chasis, but do the quick lubes do this? i haven't lubed my own chasis, but since I'm DIYing my oil changes, I want to learn how to lube my own chasis, so how do you do it?

Or should I DIY my oil changes and every 4th one, or once a year, go in and have an oil change place or mechanic change my oil and lube the chasis, or does belle tire or any mechanic lube the chasis for free, or if they don't do it for free, what is the cost for a typical chasis lubrication if you aren't getting an oil change there?

i know the toyota dealers might lube your chasis when you bring your car in for free inspections with the coupon, right?

Moog makes good parts.

Have them do it, don't do it yourself.

Most ball joints aren't greaseable. Yours aren't, they come pre-greased.

i'm low on money this month. i just paid an expensive ticket
got a new tire, and did a repair on the taurus.
do i need to do this asap or can i wait a few months? if i need to do it asap, i'd rather just do it myself. what about going to a junkyard for the part? is that risky, or get a moog part myself? or a part from the dealer?

It's a tough job for a do-it-yourselfer. Typically need air tools and a ball joint removal tool and an alignment afterwards.

Take it somewhere else and ask how bad it is, it could be OK for a couple months but we can't tell you over the internet because we can't see it.

i see. thanks. waiting a couple of months would help a lot and i'd be able to pay for it by december
but diy, i could afford to do now since labor is more than the part

Camry ball joints are super easy, they bolt in. Look at youtubes on how it's done. You might need a pickle fork, $10 from harbor freight. Search rockauto.com and amazon for your part. You can wait the week to mail order it. You should not need an alignment on this car, either, but take note of any odd steering off center when you get it together.

how do i know if it's the ball joints and do i need to remove that center piece with the 30mm or no? what specailized tools do i need besides a 19mm wrench (which i don't have, my set only went up to 17 mm)? and possibly a 30mm for the center thing.

Originally Posted By: engineer20
how do i know if it's the ball joints and do i need to remove that center piece with the 30mm or no? what specailized tools do i need besides a 19mm wrench (which i don't have, my set only went up to 17 mm)? and possibly a 30mm for the center thing.

Jack the car up and tug on the tire. Stick your hand in to feel. The "shank" of the ball joint goes up through the knuckle and is topped with a "castle nut" and pin.

The ball and socket are lower down. If there's slop, the knuckle will move relative to the control arm. And your hand in the works can feel it better, sometimes, than you could see it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back