What's your favorite Browning?

Status
Not open for further replies.
My favorite is probably the 1911, but I have recently come to appreciate what he did with the pocket pistol.

I think his most ingenious design was the Auto 5. There wasn't another successful autoloading shotgun design for fifty years after the A5 was patented. Apparently, he got the idea from watching grass lay down when guns were fired.

Originally Posted By: greenaccord02
My favorite is probably the 1911, but I have recently come to appreciate what he did with the pocket pistol.

I think his most ingenious design was the Auto 5. There wasn't another successful autoloading shotgun design for fifty years after the A5 was patented. Apparently, he got the idea from watching grass lay down when guns were fired.

Uh...that would be the Colt 1895 machine gun, not the A5.

M2 .50BMG
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Huh, I read that in an article the other day, but it was probably wrong. I might also have read it or have remembered it wrong. The machine gun makes more sense.

Originally Posted By: G-MAN

Huh, I read that in an article the other day, but it was probably wrong. I might also have read it or have remembered it wrong. The machine gun makes more sense.

There is a lot of nonsense floating around regarding Browning and his designs. Regarding the grass moving from the muzzle blast, the story goes that is when JMB first realized the potential energy being released by the escaping gasses behind the bullet. (Remember, the A5 was recoil operated, not gas). Browning went back to his workshop and cobbled together his first prototype gas-operated machine gun based on one of his lever action designs.

Colorado_Trip-2008-2845-Browning_Museum-1024.jpg

This funky looking gun served as the working basis for what would become the Colt 1895 machine gun.

4523333976_5507e4401b_z.jpg

Cool pictures.

The shotguns are the most elegant designs.

The 1911 is the most intriguing to me for some reason.

The lever guns are the most fun. 1894 the smoothest. The 1892 the strongest.

This excludes the BAR's and BMG's. Not sure why, just thinking of guns I own/will own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back