What's wrong with this electronic typewriter and does anybody fix them?

s-l1600.jpg

I know what people here are going to say, who uses a typewriter these days. Well, how else would you fill out forms, often with duplicates attached.

Anyway, this is a Brother EM-711 from the late 80's that worked great until tonight. Was filling out a bill of sale and it would reboot every few minutes, as if it was turned off and on. The last time it wouldn't turn back on at all. Totally dead. Any suggestions? Does anyone repair them? Actual parts are probably not available.

Brother still makes an electronic typewriter but I'm not spending $600. https://www.walmart.com/ip/Brother-GX-6750-Daisy-Wheel-Electronic-Typewriter/13215581

Try an office equipment dealer. I would imagine there are several in the D.C. suburbs. If that does not work out, try calling Brother.

I would agree its likely a capacitor. Could be the power supply as well. You need to find an electronic tech to diagnose the board - or learn how to do so yourself. I am guessing its likely not much surface mount and probably an easy fix.

Check the power supply. If it's one of those "wall wart" types, you may be able to find a replacement. Just check the power requirements printed on it. If you have a multimeter, you can also verify it's supplying the correct power to the end that plugs into the typewriter. If it's a plug that is hardwired in, then this will all be much more difficult.

Nothing wrong with typewriter for your purpose. We own a OLIVETTI LETTERA 32 that is wife’s grandmothers. It is used occasionally.

Brother typewriters are relatively low end and amazing it carried you this far. If you have no knowledge on electronics repair not sure it will be very economical.

I’d start looking for a used one or change the ways you fill out forms. Possibly handwritten if you like those duplicates….

Last edited:
Started to take it apart and have a look inside,

IMG_3828.JPG

The power switch is on the black box on the right side below the transformer,

IMG_3830.JPG

With the switch on, there is 120V on the black and white wires going up to the transformer, but only like 30 mV coming out on the two red wires on the left. Bad transformer?

Can't find anything searching with those numbers on the transformer. Any idea what the output might be?

Removed the transformer and checked the resistance. 575K ohms on the black and white wires, .8 ohms on the red ones.

Last edited:
Can't find anything searching with those numbers on the transformer. Any idea what the output might be?

Removed the transformer and checked the resistance. 575K ohms on the black and white wires, .8 ohms on the red ones.
No idea on what the output AC voltage would be.

Looks like the primary winding is open circuited. The primary's resistance should be no more than 1K to 2K ohms.

Set your multimeter to AC volts and measure the voltage across the two red wires if you have not already done so, Also, check the AC and DC voltages in the other plug across the red and black wires.

The red wires might be from the same "source" hence the low resistance.

Without seeing the other wires coming out of the transformer, it is hard to say what color wires are associated with the secondary windings of the transformer.

I don't know that anyone ever repaired these outside of maybe returning to the manufacturer.

If it were a Selectric or Daisywriter there are still people out there-a vanishingly small number but still a few-who actually have proper factory training.

If I had need of a typewriter regularly(not saying one way or another-there still are times where I pull out my dad's Singer portable from college because it is the easiest tool for the job) I'd probably hunt down the newest Selectric or Daisywriter I could and call it a day. They are plentiful, often inexpensive considering the number offices that have ditched them by the truckload in the last year, and are actually designed for repairability.

Back