What's so good about Mercruiser High Perform. oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently visited my favorite boating store and noticed $14 sticker on Mercruiser/Quicksilver brand of High Performance gear oil. I remember it costing $6-7 just recently. Is inflation that bad?

By the way, this is the only fluid allowed by Mercruiser in current I/O drives.

I'm not so sure anymore that this is really the greatest gear oil to use. I saw some sludge in the overfill reservoir after 3 years of use (oil replaced every year). People consider this quality synthetic oil, even though merc doesn’t claim it being synthetic. I checked the MSDS:
http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/uploads/1653/1796/041-4704Q.pdf
It contains mostly Refined Petroleum (CAS 64742-01-4). This really sounds like dino oil. Maybe group 3, not sure.

Interestingly, the plain performance gear oil: http://wwwarchive.mercurymarine.com/uploads/1653/1795/002-1472.pdf
that is considered dino has the same Refined Petroleum (CAS 64742-01-4) but less additive package.

I would like to see VOA on this. Anyone saw or did VOA on marine gear oils?

Anyone running non-Merc GL-5 gear oils in newer Merc alpha I/O?

As far as I know, Mercury doesn't recommend synthetic oil in anything they make.
They offer, and allow, a synthetic blend; that's as close as they get.
Generally speaking, synthetic oils aren't all that great at
corrosion protection; a major concern in a marine environment.
Mercury may recommend their own gear oil, but I'm not sure they can say 'use this only', unless they give it to you free.

I was pretty sure the High Perf lube was a synthetic blend. I seem to recall a greenish color versus a honey color for the regular lube.

The HP is green (at least it was several years ago), and smells potent, to say the least.

For the amount of lube used for a typical outdrive fill, the price isn't that big a deal.

Boaters looking to save $5 on an outdrive service are missing the forest through the trees.

I have had Mecury powertrains in my boats for almost 30 years. If you have a problem (have had 3) their first question is always "what oil are you using?" everytime I answered "merc" they fixed my problem under goodwill and all 3 were out of warranty. So I can tell you they will ask and if you do toast an engine or outdrive they will ask for your oil receipts. Lucky for me I bought all my oil from my marina and they had all my purchase records.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back