What's in diesel oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ken,

I know you work with big, marine diesel engines.... What can you tell me about this issue of friction modifiers in HD diesel engine oils?

thanks!

Ted

The oil companies don't say anything about this. They have oils that are listed for each of the engine models.

The last big one I worked on had 30 tons of SAE30 oil in the dry sump and continuously injected about a ton each day of SAE60 TBN70 oil directly into ports in the cylinder liner walls while running. The crankcase oil is continuously centrifuged, sealed from combustion gases, and probably good for the life of the engine. We were miking the liners (put a guy into the 84 cm. cylinder with a mike) and indicating about 20 year liner wear running 24 hours a day about 20 days a month. Good thing...the 7-ton liners cost about $35,000 each.

The smaller engines, up to 40+ cm. bore, are a standard trunk piston design (wrist pin in the piston), use a standard type SAE40 diesel lube, continuously centrifuged, and good for years despite of burning 2.5-3% sulfur black fuel oil.

All the oils except the cylinder oil (which is consumed) are analysed periodically.

Ken

Hmm guess my GM L67 motor is screwed.
lol.gif
I'm running Red Line and it has roller rockers and roller lifters.
That doesn't make sense. I'm with Molakule. He explained it more thouroughly in another thread also.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back